Differential Rebuild - Truetrac, 1310 U-ioints - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I believe one other person has reported the smaller case size besides us with the diff we put into DeanFuns 85. I was going to ask about that, did your diff guy report having issues using factory carrier shims? I would like to know if ours was a "made on friday afternoon special", or if they actually intentionally changed the case size and all forthcoming cases are going to be like that.

Also I was going to mention since it hasn't come up here yet, its always best to source a complete pumpkin with the gear set already in it that you want vs swapping in another R&P. You wouldn't have run into this since you ended up with a used case by necessity, but we swapped in a low miles 3.72 R&P from another diff and it highly complicated the install. The pumpkin cases, R&P and the pinion spacers (not the one for backlash) are a matched set. If you change any one of those 4 items, you are stuck using a monotonous process of trial and error of trying different pinion spacers till you get the pinion depth and pattern correct. Not to mention you will need a large range of pinion spacers on hand, and you will either need the weir solid pinion spacer kit (for setting backlash) or a large collection of crush spacers as you will burn one on every pinion spacer trial.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    Yeah, setting pinion depth can be a pain - you can do it without crushing a tube every time (the TSRM shows the way) but it is still preferable to get a pumpkin that has the gear ratio you want from the start.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

CelicaSupra.com Member solid693's Avatar
    if you get the marlin flange what else is needed to beef up the rear end? and drive shaft also?
    1984 MKIISupra parts car, 1986 MKIISupra daily driver

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I don't think the marlin flange fits 7.5" diffs. Better to get a used one from the yard.

Other than that, a solid pinion spacer, truetrac limited slip and quality gear set-up will do the trick. See my notes about pattern vs backlash and increasing carrier bearing preload on the previous page. I am experimenting with adding a .020 shim under the carrier bearing on the ring gear side of the truetrac, as a solution to ones that are a little 'short' and impossible to set up properly with the shim washer sizes available.
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works

https://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/d...rential-flange
    So this won't work?! I'm trying to make a list of this I'm going to need for my swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. That is for the spline on an 8" diff pinion gear. Too big for a 7.5"

ahh thanks funky for the correction, so pretty much get a used one or get the yukon gotcha

Thread Information