Heartbreak, game over - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    See this,first:
    http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...t=#post1084114
    NO WAY is 'game over',Jason. It is repairable. You built the car and you can do it again.

You have had a long relationship with your car that you built. You can bite the bullet and start over,but it depends on how depressed that your are, over your loss. You are still a hot rodder inside.
    IF you decide to toss your arms in the air and bail out of your car,we will understand.
    Try not to look at your pride and joy to see it's condition anymore. Think about what you want to do. It is your decision here,not ours.

I really cannot think of a similar situation to console you,but I'll try.
    If you lost both of your legs in an accident,would you give up living? No.

Some people believe that their cars have a soul.
    She is waiting for an answer,when you are ready.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    id be more worried about metal fatigue from the heat than anything. id part it out and build another one personally. this has a lot of un repairable damage, let alone the wiring and the majority of the mess most of the car will be in.

that being said, anything and everything is possible with money and time

Oh my....I am so sorry for this! Just sickening. You can recover and build another, if you want. Take some time and think it through. Best wishes to you.
    Chadrick
    Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; 2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD Supercharged; Hidden Content ; 1967 VW Beetle (Her Classic)
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member supra123's Avatar
    Soo sorry this happened to you, it sucks !!!!
    several years ago I has a car fire in my 1970 SS 396 Nova, the fuel filter ruptured and spewed gas on the exhaust, needless to say in was a bonfire, I was able to put it out but took every fire extinguisher the gas station had, and yes I was the only person that did not run from the station. had to fight fire from below, opening the hood would accelerate the fire.
    fire was contained to entire front end, but after a week or so dug into the car, and just too much work, everything melted and burned, not worth the work. even had a valve cover melt.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Swapping all the good stuff to a new chassis would likely be the easiest, but I bet its repairable. The frame rails will be fine, the rest of the unibody sheet metal is somewhat unimportant in comparison. Metal can not fatigue from heat in the normal sense, but its structure can change from heat cycling. Try tapping the sheet metal on the towers and other key places with a pick, see if it bends or breaks, that will tell you if its safe to use with just a refinish. It takes a lot of focused heat to actually make steel brittle enough to fail. I wouldn't be surprised if the steel in the hood is toast, but I'm guessing most of the unibody will be fine. Its just a lot of sanding to get down to a paintable surface. And that's what is really going to dictate whether this car gets saved, if Jason currently has the garage space, time and experience or willingness to learn to repair this damage. It certainly would be hard or at least prohibitively expensive to find a shop to do this.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Swapping all the good stuff
    When Keith (supramantt10) got rear-ended in a beautiful, low mileage black/maroon 84, I helped him swap quite literally "everything" onto a high-mileage, sunbaked shell of a blue/blue 85 and the insurance covered enough for a quality black paint job. Took maybe four or five months of weekends. But the only parts missing were I think where one or two of the maroon colored luggage compartment trim panels got damaged. Sadly Jason's fire has damaged most of the parts associated with the engine swap, so probably looking for two donors, another mk2 for body and interior parts and another mk3 for more engine swap parts. But Jason, if you decide to pursue the project, you've got a whole forum of support out here to help look for bits and pieces and probably local members to even help turn wrenches.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    There's no point in putting a new 7mgte swap into a mk2 in this day and age. Take this as opportunity to upgrade to a 2jz, and that will take care of the need for a 2nd donor.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

The one hang up in CA, at least with the GTE version, is trying to get the swap ref approved is its very expensive. USDM 7MGTE parts are pretty cheap, plentiful, and easy to find. USDM 2JZGTE parts aren't so cheap and easy to find. If you start with the JDM motor there is quite a bit that needs to be replaced and its not stuff that is common with the 2JZGE.

Thread Information