WTB: Broken Sunroof Cable and Extrusion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB: Broken Sunroof Cable and Extrusion

I would like to buy a pair of driver side and passenger side sunroof cable and their matching tracks.
    I would prefer both left and right side cables and tracks.

Parts 4, 5, 6, and 7 in the diagram

I'm actually after a broken cable. I want one to measure the dimensions of the track, the cable end piece, and the cable itself. These parts are no longer available and I want see about sourcing replacements for them. If you're willing to sell me intact ones, even better.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable price and shipping for them.

Send me a PM with what you want for one.

Thanks and regards,

Dale
    Last edited by supraz; 12-21-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Would like both sides
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Dale, last I checked Empire autowrecking in Abbotsford still had a black 84 sunroof car. Call them to make sure, I'm confident no one pulled the sunroof tub yet. Also, Dave's son Tyler may have one of these, I can't recall when I was there. His CL add seems to be down right now.

I have several spare tubs myself, I should look around to see I kept any of the broken ones I've replaced over the years.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Hi Seamus,
    I just called Empire and he says they no longer have the 84 there.

I tried responding to Tyler's Craiglist ad a month ago for a whack of parts and he texted me back once saying he would look for me, but never got a hold of me again. I've texted him 2 or 3 times but he hasn't responded.

I'd like to get a hold of these things to measure more accurately, the channel dimensions, the cable length, and whether both ends of the cable are crimped together.
    It sounds like several manufacturers do make the helically wound push-pull cable so it may be possible to buy straight cable from them. I'd need to know the outer coil dimensions, turn rate, inner cable dimensions and so forth. Without having one to measure, everything is just idle speculation. My sunroof isn't broken yet and I don't intend to break it taking it apart!

If you have a broken one around I could look over, I would appreciate it.

Dale
    Last edited by supraz; 12-22-2016 at 03:17 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

This is one of those threads I'll be watching.

I've never opened my sunroof due to all the stories I've heard about something breaking, and what a colossal PITA it is to get it completely closed up again.....

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Jim, your chances of sunroof implosion are about the same as having one of YOUR engines clog up with Jell-O sludge and die a horrible death. You know the routine.... My SWAG puts it at < 0.001%. YMMV. Nevertheless, I'm agonna be watchin' too. If these get made at a reasonable price, lotto time!
    I would think that if all of us that've never had any sunroof problems posted, and that would include God herself and all of our evil twins Satan, ..... never mind. That's about as likely as me skiing with Satan at Alpine Meadows, or was that Peter Graves at Squaw Valley on July 4th one year with everything free, including music, BBQ, booze, and even a 2nd degree sunburn from Hell? No need to thank me for that visual. That memory seems fuzzy now. Likely always has been. It must have been both of them then. I'll bet no one ever suspected that Satan was into hi tech espionage and partnered with MI.
    Open your fucking sunroof. Live a little. If it decides to leave you one day, like T tops flying off the back of a Corvette into the breeze and likely an early demise 1) the sun will still be shining, or 2) it won't. And you'll get wet on the way home and into the garage. The wife can hose you both off and the two of you can dry EVERYTHING off together.

HAH!

Never had a lick of trouble with the T-Tops on my '69 Corvette, although it was equally nice to leave them on and just pop out the rear window.

LOTS of "Flow Through" ventilation without getting blasted bt the sun and the random bird that wanted to practice dive bombing....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I mentioned the T tops because of damn near getting taken out by one (of two) that had flown off whatever they had been clipped into for storage on the back of one right in front of me, on one of the freeways through Sacramento many years ago. Truthfully, I've never seen exactly what this might have been or what years might have had this "option". I somehow doubt that whatever this is was available for long due to this phenomenon. But your mention of removing the rear window gives me a good idea what might have happened.
    I know that cars that came with T tops had a set of, and I'm guessing here, velour lined vinyl or leather bags to safely store them in. But I believe that some cars had a way to attach them to a rear luggage rack of sorts somehow. Any ideas?
    So what was the deal with the removable rear window? Specifically, WTF would you do with it after removal? Put it in a similar bag as the T tops and slide it back into the "trunk"?
    Bird dive bombers!!!! Hahahahaha! Yeah, they've got no arms. But we can't fly. If I had to choose..........
    By the way, you sure take my shit really seriously. NOT!!!!! So I guess the therapy has been effective. It's time for you to pay up. Per your contract, acceptable payment forms are: bad checks, Monopoly money, and well.... metal money, me being a numismatist and all.

My Corvette came with a bag for each of the T-Tops that stored in the "luggage area" behind the seats. They were fairly heavy-duty vinyl bags, but I don't remember being lined with anything special.

The rear window was stowed in a small compartment at the top of the luggage area. There was a panel that unlatched and dropped down, you slid the window into it, then pushed it back up and latched it closed.

I've seen the T-Tops stored on the optional luggage rack, but I don't know what held them down. They might have used the latches on the T-Tops to do this, but I would have been extremely leery of doing it that way. If there wasn't, there should have been some additional "ratchet straps" or something similar to hold them on the rack. The combination of air pressure under the T-Top sections, along with latches that weren't designed for that duty, is an invitation to disaster, as you observed.

We now return you to the original subject of this thread, after a brief interlude of Thread Hijacking by Ye Two Olde Fartes.....

1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Its actually not that hard to replace the entire rail system if these do break on you, the trick is finding a good donor. I've never broken these clips on any of the 20 supras I've owned over the years, including the one with 625,000kms, but they were broken on 2 cars when I acquired them. I've always suspected that a lot get broken from impacts on the sunroof panel. Use your sunroof! lol

Dale, I certainly have multiple tubs apart with good rails and parts that you can measure from, but they are my spares so I don't want to pull them apart. I haven't made it into the shop to look around in my rafters to see if I kept the last broken set I replaced. I think I may have though.

Yeah Tyler seemed really gung ho to sell stuff when his CL add came out, and I did manage to get ahold of him and make it out there and grab a bunch of stuff. But he hasn't really followed up on any of my texts since then as there was more stuff I was looking for. He said he was planing to go back to the interior next month, but I doubt he's dealt with the parts stash yet so I'm guessing he will be around awhile longer.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Hi Seamus,

One of the things that I would REALLY like to do is to take an imprint of the cross-section of the left and right rail extrusions. The only thing that makes this part at all difficult to fabricate is the attachment of the cable to the rear carrier (or sled or whatever!). The clearance is awfully tight and whether I try to seriously come up with a part will be if it looks like there is a practical way to attach the cable to the sled. The inner diameter of the extrusion cable channel and the passage from the cable channel to the sled channel are really critical.

The OD of the helically wound outer cable and the OD of the multi-strand inner cable are also important for starters. Is the non-attached opposite end of the cable swaged together with a lug? It looks like the inner cable and outer coil could separate if this was not done. It looks like the sled end of the cable has been embedded in the plastic used to make the sled. I assume that this would freeze the two pieces together here.

I am still going to see if I can get someone to sell me the rails and broken (or intact) cables/sleds that aren't so badly broken up that they can't be measured.

Dale

Thread Information