Squlliam's '83 P Type Restoration

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Squlliam's '83 P Type Restoration

I figure there's no better place to document my ongoing restoration than here, haha. So here's a little backstory. The guy I bought the car off of bought the car from the original owner after sitting for 16 years in a garage. Unfortunately he never really did anything to get it back up to par and its currently in rough shape. She's a 1983 P Type and as far as I can tell, all original, right down to the speakers and radio. She doesnt have too much body rot, a couple of surface spots and a couple of areas that new new metal but arent bad at all. Its missing all of the trim and mudflaps and the paint still has years of grime caked in it that I've been tackling slowly but surely. The tires on it are the wrong size and too small so it needs some good white letter tires. Yes, its an auto, but for what I have and how rare these cars are getting, I'm not upset at all. My plan is to do a restoration on it. I don't really want to add anything aftermarket, mostly just exhaust and the intake. I'll be keeping up with this page pretty religiously so stay tuned!

I've been wanting one of these for well over 4 years now and I'm super stoked that I have one of my dream cars. It's still sinking in that its mine.
    1983 P Type 5MGE (restoration project/summer toy)
    2008 Chrysler 300C Hemi (trusty DD)
    2002 Intrepid SE (first car, summer ONLY)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    Nice, what area are you going to begin working on first ? bodywork ? mechanical ?
    I also have a black 83 that I'm working on.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMoto View Post
    Nice, what area are you going to begin working on first ? bodywork ? mechanical ?
    I also have a black 83 that I'm working on.
    A little of both. Right now my main concentration is the fuel system. Its so varnished up, its pretty terrible. Next week I plan on dropping the tank, cleaning it out, replacing the dying pump that the bad gas wiped out, blowing out the lines, new filter (what an absolute PITA place to put it, seriously.), new FPR and I'm going to manually clean each injector using a pigtail, some carb cleaner and a battery. I'll run carb cleaner through each injector, hopefully saving them. Next will be the cooling system, then top end gaskets and oil pan gasket, then body work. I dont expect it to be perfect by spring, but its not terrible now and i would proudly show it off.

I've creeped on your thread more than a couple times. I'm jealous at the shape yours is actually in. Its a beautiful car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Right on, sounds like you have a good plan. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Its nice to see that your giving the proper attention to this classic.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMoto View Post
    Right on, sounds like you have a good plan. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Its nice to see that your giving the proper attention to this classic.
    Thank you. Yeah, I'm pretty OCD when it comes to cars. It has to be done right, no corners cut. I want to keep her as original as I can, minus some things. IMO the factory intake is a confusing mess of resonators and baffles with different shapes and diameters. I'm going to nab a Raptor Racing one just to clean up the engine. A full exhaust from the head back would clean that mess up too. I really dig the custom Magnaflow muffler Raptor has. The twin double wall tips and period correct wrinkle finish is just too cool. You know on yours, the wrinkle finish you just did on your cam covers is amazing. That's exactly what I planned on doing with mine.

Yeah that wrinkle finish on the valve covers is great looking for sure !

Your interior looks like it is in good condition.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

So today I started doing the gas tank work in order to try and get it somewhat mechanically sound.

Ladies and gentlemen, rotten gas. The sad thing is that it's all from lining the tank. The gas itself isn't old at all. Only 2 weeks. Monday I'm dropping the tank and letting some lacquer thinner sit in it for a few days.

Question Gas tank rust?

We all have been through the nasty gas tank scenes. There are multiple ways to clean a gas tank out,internally. We are versed on multiple ways to deal with rust as well.
    I have seen entire fenders dipped into a vat of vinegar to dissolve rust,in Australia
    I recall a particularly nasty gas tank that was filled with pea gravel and tossed around like a rag doll!
    Cheap and quick way? Ah dunno.
    Your '83 has an external fuel pump,correct?
    Much less trouble,IMO.
    This a photo of a really clean gasoline tank internals:

[/URL]
    The rectangular pocket is the pick up area on an '85 tank that Ray was going to sell. Not anymore.
    I stuffed my cell phone into the fuel pump hole and my other hand held my flashlight.
    Your photo looks like you were peering in your(purple) dryer!
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Hah, my best friend is currently restoring his 67 390 Galaxie and went through the same issues with his tank. Yep, it has an external fuel pump so I'm assuming I won't have to fight that hard line everybody talks about on the 84-86 tanks. (A newbie that knows how to use the search function? What??) I'm just worried about how bad the lines are, but I've seen people on here use dry gas and it seems to help them with their predicaments. I'm just happy I don't see any rust...at least yet. I ordered a new pump and it comes with the pickup sock. I'll have to see if the kid I bought the car off left the other inline filter in place.

I think that you have the right attitude and the drive to do it YOUR way;maybe we can help.
    You are is the right forum for your project.
    Do you what EYE appreciate? Your lack of typos. I have been guilty,B-4.

Your buddies '67 Galaxie has a mechanical fuel pump that is driven off of the camshaft(Well,oil pump drive),like our very first generation engines were. Watch for my typos after the 3rd beer.

I'm a a Toyota guy,but I was a Ford guy.
    After the gas tank /fuel pump issue,what is next?
    On an 'old' car,it is never 'done'.

(I get some of the new members mixed up and I go off in a completely different direction)
    My name is one of the Dave's,Pittsburgh Dude.
    Yes,we have avatars and some weird I.D. names.

My in-tank pump is a PITA to change out,but I had some help,the last time.Better/easier with 2 able-bodied people.
    B-4 I was confident/had the time for that adventure,I had my trusted mechanic do it for me. (It lasted 3 years and took a crap on the morning of one of my important meet and greets,locally).
    Gee whiz!
    I'm just waiting for something else to break and it's not funny.

During one of my last meet and greets,I showed up at the venue with my good-looking Supra that had a shit-ass-terrible noise. It blew a water pump on the off ramp.
    "Hey,nice Supra,what's that terrible noise?" (Face palm). The most embarrassing part of the meet was to diagnose the problem in that parking lot,with a few savvy Supra owners,realizing that my car did not contain a 10 mm wrench!(Another face palm).

We got a WP in a local town,in case the bastard let go on the interstate,to swap out on the side of the freeway! I changed it out at home.
    I knew my engine had a coolant leak,but I couldn't find it.(Insert angry face,here).
    The rotten turd was leaking under the exhaust manifold,but I couldn't trace the leak.
    Well,that would not happen again,so I improved the "weep hole" design.This was my idea and I am proud of this mod.

Now,the leak wouldn't run down and back to the top of the oil pan to the back of the engine,where I couldn't see the source of the leak. Sneaky,like a fox!

I may call it a PEE hole for the water pump. The really-tight serpentine belt may be at fault for the failure. My bad. That water pump really spins at a extreme 'rippems'.

I do carry spare parts. It's ballast for traction.I will never be without a 10 mm wrench EVER!
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information