Squlliam's '83 P Type Restoration - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hi Dave. I'm Bill, or Will, or William. whatever floats your boat. I got the name Squilliam from my friends over on the LH forums YEARS ago. I've never been a huge Toyota guy, but something about this car struck a nerve years ago and its never really relented. My girlfriend has a 2000 2.2 Camry and its about as vanilla as you can get. Sure its trusty but its about as interesting to drive as watching Bob Ross paint haha. No when it comes right down to it I can pretty much find the cool in any car...except the Prius, that just needs to die. But, I am and always will be die hard Mopar.

I've had that since I was 16 and has every single factory option added to it you could get. I took the time and effort to make sure eveything added was factory correct, right down to changing EVERY harness in the car to accommodation it. She doesnt get driven much anymore and she's never going anywhere. But thats enough about that here, lol.

The next step is to flush EVERY fluid in the car. The P/S fluid thats supposed to be tranny fluid looks like garbage, cooling system is meh, jsut the usual neglect from sitting and not being used. Actually I'm probably going to do the gaskets next now that I think about it. I'll run a compression test to make sure that we're okay across the board before I start getting too far into it, but it doesn't smoke, so I'm hoping the rings and seals are still up to snuff, at least for this coming year.

I like your waterpump idea. You can control where the coolant weeps out at so you know exactly what's leaking should it leak from there.
    1983 P Type 5MGE (restoration project/summer toy)
    2008 Chrysler 300C Hemi (trusty DD)
    2002 Intrepid SE (first car, summer ONLY)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Ahhhh...the beginning of another Supra adventure!

You'll find us a friendly bunch, full of wisdom and "Tribal Knowledge" that can't be found in the service manual, and joined by our love of these old cars.

I bought mine as my retirement project when I realized that 99% of the cars I wanted were way out of my budget. I then asked myself what cars totally blew me away when they came out new, and the MKII Supra rose to the top of the list.

Good luck, have fun, and ask any questions you might have. Somebody here will have a solution, or some guidance for you, on just about any problem you might have.

Welcome aboard!

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

William,Bill:MOPAR GUY;Supra Guy.

OK. I may call you William,based on your forum moniker.
    It's just easier to use your name.
    You may call me any name that you choose.

A 2.2 L. Camry is a GREAT car and you are capable to take care of it beyond 200,000 miles of (ab)use,as she chooses.

I need to add that she is lucky to have you, as an understanding mechanic that understands how maintenance really is important,lately. It will go past 200 K,if it's maintained, totally!

If everyone drove Toyota's,the repair shops would go out of business. I really believe that statement.

Differ,if you like.
    You are the Correct Mopar guy,then? Sure ,the Prius is 'poopy',but they will be around for a very long time. We will get used to it.
    Go drive a Prius or a Leaf. It will blow my little Supra away in a stoplight-to-stoplight drag race.
    Yeah,so what?
    I would rather have a small block Mopar than a car that runs on batteries?
    NO! I would not! I run R/C trucks on LIPOS. Define the word:" fast".

OK,the real gasoline-burning mid-size car is my roots,but I am flexible and I am old.
    My dream car really, is the Tesla. Sorry. Maybe the BOLT,by Chevrolet.(2017 car of the year)

The bad thing to do to a gasoline-powered car is drive it for short runs.Propane is better.
    I run the shit out of my Supra and yes,freeway on ramps are great!Your G.F's Camry can benefit from that kind of 'carbon blow job'*,on occasion.

Maintenance is paramount on any internal combustion-powered automobile.
    Gasoline is a dirty fuel,but efficient. There are alternative go-power fuel sources,lately.
    When will the Chrysler corporation jump onto the alternative fuel band wagon?

I have driven a '68 340 'Cuda and loved it! 4 speed ,"posi" and it rocked my world!
    I'm not unhappy to say that the gasoline-burning cars will be gone B-4 I leave this automotive world behind.

There is a wave of the future that is coming that is not beyond our/my lifetime.
    I will never miss the sound of a V-8 powered car,William.
    The only thing that is certain... is change.

You will have the time to see the changes that will happen to the automotive world.
    In the meanwhile,I'll drive my gasoline-powered Supra!
    As said B-4,freeway on ramps* rule.

Welcome to the tribe and I will look forward to your stories. We have some.
    *=

This ain't PG 13.
    Last edited by ddd228; 12-24-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Squilliam=William.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I will be following this thread very closely. Your car and story is so similar to mine and I'm hoping (which won't be difficult) you keep one step ahead of me so I can use your thread more as a "how to" guide. Good luck with the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by ddd228 View Post
    OK. I may call you William,based on your forum moniker.
    It's just easier to use your name.
    You may call me any name that you choose.

A 2.2 L. Camry is a GREAT car and you are capable to take care of it beyond 200,000 miles of (ab)use,as she chooses.

I need to add that she is lucky to have you, as an understanding mechanic that understands how maintenance really is important,lately. It will go past 200 K,if it's maintained, totally!

If everyone drove Toyota's,the repair shops would go out of business. I really believe that statement.

Differ,if you like.
    You are the Correct Mopar guy,then? Sure ,the Prius is 'poopy',but they will be around for a very long time. We will get used to it.
    Go drive a Prius or a Leaf. It will blow my little Supra away in a stoplight-to-stoplight drag race.
    Yeah,so what?
    I would rather have a small block Mopar than a car that runs on batteries?
    NO! I would not! I run R/C trucks on LIPOS. Define the word:" fast".

OK,the real gasoline-burning mid-size car is my roots,but I am flexible and I am old.
    My dream car really, is the Tesla. Sorry. Maybe the BOLT,by Chevrolet.(2017 car of the year)

The bad thing to do to a gasoline-powered car is drive it for short runs.Propane is better.
    I run the shit out of my Supra and yes,freeway on ramps are great!Your G.F's Camry can benefit from that kind of 'carbon blow job'*,on occasion.

Maintenance is paramount on any internal combustion-powered automobile.
    Gasoline is a dirty fuel,but efficient. There are alternative go-power fuel sources,lately.
    When will the Chrysler corporation jump onto the alternative fuel band wagon?

I have driven a '68 340 'Cuda and loved it! 4 speed ,"posi" and it rocked my world!
    I'm not unhappy to say that the gasoline-burning cars will be gone B-4 I leave this automotive world behind.

There is a wave of the future that is coming that is not beyond our/my lifetime.
    I will never miss the sound of a V-8 powered car,William.
    The only thing that is certain... is change.

You will have the time to see the changes that will happen to the automotive world.
    In the meanwhile,I'll drive my gasoline-powered Supra!
    As said B-4,freeway on ramps* rule.

Welcome to the tribe and I will look forward to your stories. We have some.
    *=
    Blow job.
    This ain't PG 13.
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I feel right at home already. I'll have to keep my eyes open for anything happening around my neck of the woods, but seeing most of the people posting are either Canadian or from the Northwest, I doubt it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Supra Resto UK View Post
    I will be following this thread very closely. Your car and story is so similar to mine and I'm hoping (which won't be difficult) you keep one step ahead of me so I can use your thread more as a "how to" guide. Good luck with the rebuild.
    I've been following SupraMotos thread now for a bit. He has alot of great information and tid bits that have been sparking ideas within my mind. Here's a link, maybe it can help you as much as its helping me as well.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...oto-s-83-Resto

To quote a post in your thread, it really is nice to see someone else restoring one of these cars. It shows me that there is a strong community behind it and that builds confidence with me. I'll keep you updated and you can keep me updated with yours, haha.

Already following that one. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
    I've been following SupraMotos thread now for a bit. He has alot of great information and tid bits that have been sparking ideas within my mind. Here's a link, maybe it can help you as much as its helping me as well.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...oto-s-83-Resto

To quote a post in your thread, it really is nice to see someone else restoring one of these cars. It shows me that there is a strong community behind it and that builds confidence with me. I'll keep you updated and you can keep me updated with yours, haha.

Yeah, he's got a great build thread going.

I've learned most of what I know about these cars from reading other people's build threads, seeing what they were doing, what problems they had, the suggestions other people offered them, and how they solved their problems.

I've done several builds before, along with running a shop with a buddy and doing SCCA Solo events and autocrossing, but most of that stopped in 1982 when I moved out to Kommiefornia. I was down to just doing my own vehicle maintenance and helping friends do a couple of builds (1972 Cutlass 350 "Street Machine" and a 1978 Mustang Turbo rebuild) and spending my other time being a "Family Guy" and working on the "fixer upper" house my first wife and I bought.

Read the threads. You'll learn a lot about what does and doesn't work, and get a lot of ideas about how to do things, and learn a lot of the quirks these cars have.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    Glad you guys are enjoying my build thread, just like how I've found so many good threads to read before I started mine, and learned a lot from them, and got the motivation and confidence to do my rebuild.

I'm right in the midst of the rebuild now so there will be lots of new post in the future.

I'm also looking forward to seeing all the details of Williams 83 restoration, keep us posted. I need to re-seal my gas tank fill neck also, so Ill be watching the work on your gas tank.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Cool Gas tank filler neck leak,LED light bar.

I cannot recall if the fuel filler neck has to be removed to pull the gas tank out of the car.
    There is a leak at the tank junction to filler neck? Rubber hose?
    I was thinking of just a hunk of rubber inner tube,maybe some thin Neoprene to make your own gasket.Maybe an O ring. Silicone sheet?What squish-able material is gasoline resistant? Gasket material?
    An exhaust flange gasket? A really BIG one.

It's been some time ago,that I replaced the (in-tank) PITA fuel pump.
    B-4 I replaced the Fuel pump,it was really handy to see that Toyota provided a 3/8" drive drain plug and that is great!
    Caution: The gasoline comes outta there like a fire hose!!!!

I did re-use the gasoline after I filtered it with an old sock,stuffed into my tranny funnel.

I'm working on a better back up light bar:

I had to get way down to even see it.Ten bucks + a hunk of aluminum angle and some wires.
    I used pop rivets for rust-resistant fasteners.

My LED back up lights in the stock location are pretty lame. Click photo for a larger image.
    The back up light bar belongs in the Forum: General Tech Q&A as a new post.
    Last edited by ddd228; 12-26-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: The last 1/2 of this post doesn't belong here.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information