1985 Celica Supra complete restoration on a tight timescale. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I understand what everyone is saying. When I got within 2 weeks of the deadline I had set for my Sierra, I sent it to a garage to finish off and put it through the MOT test. In the UK, for those of you who don't know, in the UK every car needs to be tested every 12 months to ensure it is in a safe, use-able and road worthy condition. I had it back on Saturday and went on the run on Sunday feeling very happy with myself. I also have to say, the previous years run was my original target but realised it was not going to happen. I will not rush the resto on this car just to finish. It will be done to the best of my ability as only want to do this once. The parts I needed for the Sierra were readily available over here and already know the parts I need for the Supra are extremely rare here in the UK. I will be relying heavily on you guys in the USA mainly to help on these parts as I have previously had to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

hi i have a 86 wide body and live cheltenham, have a few spares i don't need , good bonnet , passenger side door and interior trim, few bits of external trim. my car will go back on the road in 2017 as currently won't start through being stored, but a pump is suspect.
    its a c plate nearly immaculate with 123k and full history from new had it 10 years . i am a gen 1 celica man but if you need to catch up 07975718146, i have some good uk supra contacts if you are hunting for bits and probably not far from you.
    cheers malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600gtcelica View Post
    hi i have a 86 wide body and live cheltenham, have a few spares i don't need , good bonnet , passenger side door and interior trim, few bits of external trim. my car will go back on the road in 2017 as currently won't start through being stored, but a pump is suspect.
    its a c plate nearly immaculate with 123k and full history from new had it 10 years . i am a gen 1 celica man but if you need to catch up 07975718146, i have some good uk supra contacts if you are hunting for bits and probably not far from you.
    cheers malcolm.
    Thanks Malcolm. You are one of the rare group of Celica Supra owners in the UK then. Is yours manual or auto? Very few of these cars surviving now so parts for them are becoming a problem. The main part I am looking for is the tailgate as mine has rusted through in the usual place below the glass. I will probably go down the route of a professional repair on this as failed to find one in over 2 years. Every now and again someone advertises a "good" one but when I ask for pics it shows it's nearly as bad as mine. When I bought the car it needed a few parts which I have sourced. Some in the UK but others in the USA. The sunroof and double rear spoiler were the main parts from the USA but shipping and import tax were crippling. That said, I was extremely grateful to get a sun roof with no rust at all.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

After mentioning in above thread there was not many UK owners I went to how many left to find out exactly. I am surprised that in the last couple of years around 10 owners on both manual and auto Supra's have been registered. All these spares or repair, garage finds etc I've been seeing on Ebay and similar look like they have been bought and registered by the new owners. Encouraging news.
    https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=...&commit=Search

Hi Mine is a manual with blue interior and grey exterior with silver flash down the sides , completely original . When bought it came with an inch and a half of service history, had new sunroof and tailgate via the main dealers near southport where it came from so body is excellent, but petrol pump seems to have packed up with being stored so we will drop the tank and replace the pump, and i have a new pump. Have a pair set of wheels and good tyres as they are getting hard to fine.
    I have a guy who is very good at metalwork in birmingham who is excellent and he will repair your tailgate for you if you can't find one .
    2 active guys in the TEC with supras , so a supply of spare parts available , let me know if i can help. cheers malcolm.

CelicaSupra.com Member Celicasteve68's Avatar
    Hi Tony, I wondered what had happened to your project, had followed it on facebook too. It seems in the UK that our Supras are rocketing in value as they are becoming rare. It just saddens me that the remaining good ones are just being snapped up by non Supra enthusiasts, but by classic car investors who don't appreciate them like we do.

Hello Malcolm, it seems like you're everywhere at the moment with your non stop restoration projects.
    Hidden Content Sufferer of an incurable disease called Celica-supralitus. Also lifelong OCD ( Obesessive Cleaning Disorder ).

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 1600gtcelica View Post
    Hi Mine is a manual with blue interior and grey exterior with silver flash down the sides , completely original . When bought it came with an inch and a half of service history, had new sunroof and tailgate via the main dealers near southport where it came from so body is excellent, but petrol pump seems to have packed up with being stored so we will drop the tank and replace the pump, and i have a new pump. Have a pair set of wheels and good tyres as they are getting hard to fine.
    I have a guy who is very good at metalwork in birmingham who is excellent and he will repair your tailgate for you if you can't find one .
    2 active guys in the TEC with supras , so a supply of spare parts available , let me know if i can help. cheers malcolm.
    Hi Malcolm. After another 380 miles round trip and another completely wasted day travelling to purchase a "perfect" tailgate I'm still looking. Took the inner plastics off to find it was as rotten as mine even though I particularly asked the guy twice and was told it was completely rust free. I'm really thinking a good repair is my only option so will send you a message for details. I would hate to add up the time I've spent looking and travelling plus the fuel costs and 4 times paying the toll on the Severn Bridge whilst coming back with an empty van. I think the search for a tailgate has now cost me more time and money than buying the car originally.

this would certainly at an outrageous price at the end for you:
    http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...atch-Group-Buy
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily runner, RIP...)
    2002 E39 ///M5 LMB, Hidden Content Hidden Content

Not really interested in Carbon Fibre. I would like a decent standard tailgate. I will get one eventually or repair mine professionally.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Repairing these properly so they don't rust out again is tricky. To do it right, you need to completely detach the inner sheet metal from the outer, at least in the bottom section (from the base of the glass back). The problem is that the rust hides in that bottom inner lip, the bit closest to the tail lights. The inner liner fits inside the outer skin, which is wrapped over it. The rust develops on both sides of the inner liner. Most people just fix the rust they can see and then are surprised when it comes back.

I wouldn't worry about inner liner damage too much. Repair a hatch where the outer skin is decent.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information