1985 Celica Supra complete restoration on a tight timescale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1985 Celica Supra complete restoration on a tight timescale.

Hello from the UK. This thread and user name is new as too many problems trying to log in on my old account.
    As I need a lot of info contained on this forum I decided it was better to start a new thread as to be honest, I haven't done a great deal with the car since I purchased it back around 2 years ago.
    Brief history is I owned this car when I was in my mid 20's around 1990. In July 2014 I bought myself a Ford Sierra Cosworth which needed restoring and the same day I bought it and brought it home I saw an advert on Ebay for a Celica Supra, Spares or Repair and immediately recognised the registration number as being my previously owned car.
    Obviously I had no option but to purchase the car even though I knew finances and time restraints would be affected on restoring my Sierra. I assumed as the Supra had been locked away for many years in a garage (since around 1996 / 1998) although the seller was not sure, a few more years wouldn't matter too much.
    In the last 2 years I have been working on the Ford but also collecting parts for my Supra.
    The Sierra was used for the first time last September on a classic car run locally to me and this is a 110 mile drive with around 600 vehicles participating which I have attended for many years with various classic cars.
    I have given myself a timescale to complete the Supra and use it on the run in September 2017. Probably a bit ambitious but I find I need to give myself something to aim for or I won't get it finished.
    As most of you will be aware, the main problems with these cars in the UK is they are pretty rare so parts are not too common and the main one, the climate, which causes rust and there is certainly enough of this.
    I have so far, with the help of some of the Celica Supra enthusiast from the USA obtained a new sun roof panel, Double rear tail gate spoiler and various other parts which I could not find over here.
    I will add pics soon as the restoration will start soon as I'm currently building a new garage at home to store it in.
    Last edited by Supra Resto UK; 12-24-2016 at 08:11 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

always nice to see someone starting a restoration project. much better than read Parting Out...
    From what you wrote, the project is in good hands.

what was your previous forum name?
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

what was your previous forum name?[/QUOTE]

Tony Lewis. Although I can see all my previous posts etc on here it won't allow me to log in under that name hence reason for change. This way will allow me to have a more realistic record of the time scale to restore the car too. Reading an old thread earlier I realised I had bought the car back 2.5 years ago which came as a bit of a realisation I've been busy on the wrong car but will rectify now lol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

ihe site went through a security upgrade some time ago, and everyone got their pwd resetted by the admin with an email of the new one.
    I beleive you can still ask to re initialize it at:
    http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sendmessage.php
    but many still have had difficulty recovering it.
    there is a couple of threads on the subject around.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Supra Resto UK View Post
    I have given myself a timescale to complete the Supra and use it on the run in September 2017. Probably a bit ambitious but I find I need to give myself something to aim for or I won't get it finished.
    I used to be that way, but with restoration projects, every part you take off you discover another spot of rust or something else that needs fixing. With modifications, things don't always go as planned. I was targeting the Supra meet in Vegas one year to finish a 7mgte swap. I was planning to be done a month ahead so to have plenty of time to give it a thorough shakedown and debug. After much anxiety and late nights in the final month it was done with three weeks to go. BUT THEN, two weeks before the meet, it cracked the cylinder head and started leaking. No time to find another head, get it machined and installed and then take off on a 1400 mile trip in an untested car. Bought a plane ticket, went anyway and had probably more fun than if I'd been able to drive it since there was nothing to worry about.

After that, I resolved not to give myself artificial deadlines anymore. There's always another event, always next year and I find I enjoy it a lot more and do a better job if I can work at a more leisurely pace. I've got a one year Corvette restoration going on three but damn its going to be so awesome. Setting a goal is one thing, but don't get too hung up on that date. Enjoy the process.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

But 1400 mile drives on an untested car are exilerating!

Quote Originally Posted by Khlause View Post
    But 1400 mile drives on an untested car are exilerating!

WoW, are you masochistic, or what!

1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    Looking forward to this. I like seeing Supra's getting some TLC.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...pe-RUstoration

I don't know this crazy guy did a lot before a meet lol! I replaced and rebuilt a lot of my car and after sitting for 4 months with 310k miles drove The Dragon. Twice now... I still have some to do but I'm proud of my Dragon. I do take a lot of spare electronics and standard tools when I go for a long drive these days. My first aid kit I call it lol.

With that being said I've learned some lessons and try to do my best to be prepared for the worst.

Duane
    85 Supra Black 5spd 5MGE w/Black Leather
    85 Supra Red (parts car)
    96 Lexus GS300 - Silver w/Black Leather 2JZ
    88 Celica GTS Black - Sold
    80 Celica GT Black - Sold

The first long trip I did in mine was L.A. to Vegas for Supras in Vegas in September. I'd planned to have my planned work finished at least a week before I went so I'd have some shake down time.

Nope.

The car came off the alignment rack Monday morning, I put the interior back in it Monday and Tuesday, and headed to Vegas on Wednesday about noon, by myself.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information