Piston ring end-gaps too large - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have a great (HORRIBLE) idea.

File all the ring gaps to the large size so they match
    Do the same for the oil rings (to their max size)
    Get some low compression pistons out of an old 82 / 83 5M

Now add 24 to 30LBS of boost; now your ring gaps will narrow up but not get too tight.

See clearly a bad idea to tighten up the ring gaps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraMoto's Avatar
    It settled then ! .....that's what I'll do. lol jk
    Last edited by SupraMoto; 12-28-2016 at 03:28 PM.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

I'll get the Enginetech C83016 Premium Steel top rings and hopefully they're better.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

scratch that - I'm going with Hastings rings
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Juka View Post
    I've ordered lots of parts from RockAuto and been very happy with their quality and prices. There were however a couple of times that I received incorrectly packaged parts from them - the part inside the box was not what was labelled on the box.
    Damn Rockauto just screwed me again, my main bearings were packaged incorrectly. All 14 pieces had the oil groove & oil holes. It should've had 7 of the pieces flat (no oil groove/holes).
    like these

I was over the 30 day return period........ so the website wouldnt let me return....... called then they agreed to re-ship them, and at first wanted me to return the defective part at my own cost, then agreed that I dont have to ship back the defective part. Not bad in the end, but annoying

The moral of the story is to carefully inspect your order as soon as it arrives.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Actually, most builders prefer all bearing shells to have the groove. You got lucky and got that without having to buy 2 sets of mains. Up to you how you want to assemble it though. Rock auto doesnt pack the bearings however. They should have all been vacuum sealed to a cardboard backing in the package.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Oil grooves in both halves of the bearing ?!?! I didn't realize that was even a possibility. I thought the lower bearing half was always flat/smooth because that's the loaded side of the bearing.

Your right, it wasn't Rockauto's fault, the manufacturer packaged these wrong. Rockauto will take this matter up with the manufacturer if they feel so inclined.

The box came with two sets of 7 bearing halves each vacuum sealed separately, and thus the possibility for packaging mistakes. These were EngineTech BTW.

I'm holding my breath that the new set is correct.
    If I'm lucky the new set will totally without grooves, and I can assemble 2 full sets with both.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I don't know if full race main bearings are still fully grooved on both halves. But they certainly were from the 60's to the 80's. This was for various flavors of NASCAR motors. The bottom half being solid for load bearing does make sense though, which is probably why most engines don't use fully grooved mains. My understanding was that the full grooves helped in keeping sufficient oil to the rod bearings. But this was back when the best racing oils all still sucked. At some point they all essentially ended up becoming a wall of oil being pushed by the journal. It takes about as long to visualize that as it would last in the real world. Lucky us. Even the crappiest oils being made today are worlds better than those were!

Fully-grooved bearings have been in and out of favor for years. A lot of it depends on the original design of the engine; bearing surface area vs bearing loading vs engine output.

For our 5M engines, I'd go with whatever the original design was.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Well the stupid new set of bearings I received today are also full-groove. Don't think this is correct.

I checked the manufacturer website and its pretty clear the upper and lower shells should be different. Each half shell has a unique P/N, and the picture shows half-groove.

Shell P/N .......... Position
    M1-1051-L ........ 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    M1-1051-U ....... 1-2-3-4-5-6-7

Where else can I get some 0.25mm undersized main bearings ? Reasonable shipping to Canada is usually a problem.
    '83 Black P-Type

My threads:
    -- Hidden Content
    -- Hidden Content

Thread Information