"Death of a Differential" AKA guide my rear end revamp

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post Next Post Next Post
    CelicaSupra.com Member

"Death of a Differential" AKA guide my rear end revamp

Bought an 82 P type at a good price on the suspicion the diff was going out.

Suspicion has been confirmed. Ring and pinion are okay, bearings need redone. Seems someone botched an attempted rebuild and just tightened everything down as much as possible.
    LSD clutch components also appear to be done for.

It's a 3.73. Do I:

- Spend several hundred on a rebuild on a diff with worn out limited slip
    - Throw even $500 more at it if I'm lucky to add in some form of LSD
    - Hunt down a used diff (preferably in the 4.10 range)
    - Try to yank one off a pick-a-part Toy of whatever model (front diff parts off a 4WD anyone?)
    - Other?

Let's figure something out.

It will be difficult to find a 3.73. A 4.10 diff should be easier to find used and would be a budget solution. If you have money, a rebuilt 3.73 LSD would be very nice.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

These cars are rare and valuable. Don't take the path of the miser.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supkar View Post
    These cars are rare and valuable. Don't take the path of the miser.
    I appreciate that. I'm not going to take the path of cheap and shitty, I simply mean cost effective. Cost effective is in my blood haha. If, for now, I can grab a 4.3 and be done with it I can also take my time rebuilding the 3.73 with the best parts I can find.

I wanted to replace my 4.10's with a 4.30 until I found that Erin's car next to me @ 66 MPH sounded like she was in 4th gear! If I went to 4.30's,a taller rear tire may be in order.Those would make really good 1/4 mile drag racing gears,for my car anyway.

You could toss the 3.70's in the corner and spring for the 4.30's and bolt it in.Rebuild the 3.7's for a ROAD TRIP in the future.

From what I read,it's difficult to find the correct parts to do it right. The ring and pinion may be OK: it was in gear oil and the bearings were not.LSD is cooked?That's easy. It's the set up and shim- shuffling that will give you fits,from what I have read and seen on Eric the car guys You Tube channel.
    I'll guess that the pinion bearing has been sloughing off bearing bits for a while.

I'm on my 3rd(Used) differential.
    Dumb-ass me,I threw away the 4.10 OPEN ,dammit.

My second 4.10 LSD was a @#$!((**)screamer and Ray has it,now.
    My 3rd one is tolerable:80% quieter.
    I absolutely stole it for $100,2 years ago.

My mechanical skills do not include a diff rebuild.It would be a 'screamer' when I was through. The ONLY way I would attempt one is with a NEW R&P,that does not have wear patterns in the gears,already.

My differential is due for new fluid.Synthetic + additive and I don't care if I over fill it.

Notice the magnets on the fill/drain plugs.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member battleaxe's Avatar
    a 4.3 is fine on highway, i barely notice a difference between the 3.7 and 4.3 to be honest. other than looking down in 5th and see im cruising at like 2000rpm lol.

source the parts first and if the bearings are easy to get...you might also have other issues that were caused by said fucked up bearings. not sure how you fuck up putting bearings in. you take the old ones off and press new ones on...the issue is backlash and pinion tension, both relate to how they're shimmed.

my 8inch diff bearings were only available through toyota (they have a patent) and were 100bucks ea...but in USA they're 45 each. if you have a FSM and the parts, a good mechanic should be able to do the overhaul. with running into a lot of problems and wrong parts, took a friend of mine and I, a day and a half to do my diff with a FSM and checking everything 80 times...and i didnt have any shims, had wrong bearing and went on a wild goose chase to find a crush sleeve.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Road trippin' is certainly in this car's future. Idaho is flush with mountain highways full of turns and no one watching
    $250 for a 4.3 LSD when I was quoted $600-800 to redo the bearings to get me back to basically an open 3.73...

I did see LSD rebuild kits for about $150 in parts.

I enjoy long road trips in my 83, not street racing. I do 80 or more with the 3.73 and the RPM's are way less than my original 4.10 and I'm sure it's better on gas. My engine would scream at 80mph before the 3.73

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I will NOT be racing this thing, let me get that out there haha.

The 3.73 may very well just stay in the car, but it'll HAVE to have a bunch of work, and I'm looking at like $1200-1300 if I want it fully redone. And one way or another, I want to get a limited slip in my truck too, so I am leaning toward that used 4.30. I have feelers out on other diffs as well, but I think $250 for an operable LSD is a pretty fair deal.

I'd like to hit our junk yard but there's over a foot of snow on the ground with more coming, and we had a high of 8 degrees today. No thanks.

Now,you are looking for TWO diffs?
    You want 3.73's for your truck and your Supra.
    If you can go to taller tires on your truck,the 4.10's may do.
    Used is WAY cheaper,if you can find a few.

WANTED: 3.73 LSD's (2 OF THEM) In the meanwhile,
    Grab that 4.30 LSD and see if is NOT a screamer.

Too cold to crawl around on the ground for me. 8*? NO WAY.
    I'll do the diff oil in my springtime.

You can choose what to do first, on both of your vehicles.
    I don't have a heated garage to work in.
    You are the latest drive line/diff guy this week.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information