Weird "squealing" noise

Weird "squealing" noise

A week or so ago on a rainy and cold night, I started getting this occasional weird squealing noise when driving in first and sometimes in second. It goes away once I am in third gear. Since then it still occasionally screeches. Like when going down to 2nd gear for a turn. Or even in neutral and revving to around 1-2k rpms. I've also noticed that when its cold and rainy the clutch pedal feels a little "squishy" like its hesitant when springing back up. Is the cold/rainy weather causing this noise? Or is there something else I should look into?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    Check the oil level in your transmission, and top up if necessary. While you're at it, even though it's likely not the cause, check and top up the rear diff oil too.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

Possibly fan or PS belt?
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member supra_toy's Avatar
    Check your clutch fluid reservoir. Look for signs of clutch fluid inside the cabin near where the clutch push rod goes into the fire wall. You might want to try and flush the clutch fluid if its dirty/contaminated/aerated. Pilot bearing?

will
    "Betty" 85 Supra. LJM front strut bar, custom rear bar, Addcos sway f/r, Tokico f/r, Eibachs springs, and full PST bushing kit, Cusco camber plates, RC intake w/custom cold air & K&N filter, JK short shifter, MKIII 10 blade radiator fan, SS break lines, RC SS clutch line, Russel quick bleeders, custom stereo.
    "Karmen" 85 Supra. RC TB and intake. Bored out AFM, Magnaflow cat. soon new stock brake lines and muffler.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Checked the transmission & diff oil, those were fine. Fan and belts were lookin fine as well. Ill check the clutch reservoir and stuff later when I'm out again. It wasn't raining today & usually i get the noise when it is raining which is weird.

The belts look fine? I assume you checked belt tension. They stretch out and squeal.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by supkar View Post
    Possibly fan or PS belt?
    ^^^^^ WHAT OMKAR SAID!^^^^^^
    It's a slipping belt. Happens when there is a little moisture on the belt.
    Just carefully tighten the alternator belt.
    You need to loosen TWO bolts B-4 you start cranking on the adjuster rod.
    Don't do this in the dark.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    I saw from your profile you have an 83 with the 5M, which has twin V-belts for the alternator. You also appear to have added some lighting. In the rain you are using your lights, plus the wipers and maybe the windshield defogging fan and auxilliary lighting. This overstresses the stock charging system which was never strong enough for these cars in stock form, let alone with add-ons. You may want to look at the high output alternator swap thread in the FAQ section to upgrade your charging system, as well as replacing the belts.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Road Ripper View Post
    I saw from your profile you have an 83 with the 5M, which has twin V-belts for the alternator. You also appear to have added some lighting. In the rain you are using your lights, plus the wipers and maybe the windshield defogging fan and auxilliary lighting. This overstresses the stock charging system which was never strong enough for these cars in stock form, let alone with add-ons. You may want to look at the high output alternator swap thread in the FAQ section to upgrade your charging system, as well as replacing the belts.
    WHOA! I missed that. His profile:

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/me...-Whattaslapper
    '82-'83 is different than what I work on.

Thanks,Dan.
    Add that you have an '83 in your signature please,California boy.

The spongy clutch pedal is probably air in the system. Time to bleed 'em. Possible leak(s).
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information