Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Modern Luxury Cars?

16K views 96 replies 21 participants last post by  RedP85 
#1 ·
Well, its been ten years since I last asked.

Luxury Ride????

Been absolutely floating along in a 2000 Jaguar X308 like a speedboat on a glass-smooth lake for the last several years. I've fallen in love with a car only twice, the first time with the mk2 Supra and the second time it was a big cat. Only regret is I wish I'd bought the Jaguar earlier or bought the last year model 2003 just so I could have enjoyed it a few years longer. But just as with the Supra many years ago, the big cat is now 17 years old and every time I ask the dealership for a part, "No that's been discontinued." Its at the age and mileage where it needs a lot of seals and bushings and various rubber items replaced, plus electrical stuff will soon start to fail at the most inopportune places and times, so its time to retire it and get something newer.

This time around, I want something much, much newer and a modern body style. Plus I'm kind of jonesing for some modern technology like a backup camera (given my parking spot at work). I'm finally kind of starting to like some of the fastback sedans of the last few years even tho they still all look very similar. Actually some of the lower cost models look better than the most expensive but I'd kind of prefer not to get something that in two or three years will seem just common. In the previous thread Eric suggested the Chrysler 300, but there are now sixteen of them in our parking lot at work. Perhaps if there were some special edition that would set a mass market rental car apart, but I also don't want a full on sport edition with rock-hard suspension and rubber-band tires. A very smooth ride for the daily grind and road trips is my main goal, otherwise I'd buy a new Mustang GT.

Probably will spend $30,000 to $40,000 so looking at late model used sedan most likely. Plan to go test drive a Jaguar XF given my favorable experience with the brand. Given we all like mk2s and our tastes are probably similar, what do y'all like in the modern luxury sedan class?

See less See more
#74 ·
Well here is the new daily driver. Actually got it late last summer, but been too incredibly busy to take pictures. 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio trim level 5.0L (last year for the 385hp naturally aspirated v8 before they changed to a 340hp v6 in 2013), 28,000 miles. Color is called "Caviar" but its sort of a burgundy, with a three-tone London Tan, Brown and Navy interior. I had hoped to find one in blue but I told myself that I was not going to have another car in one of the ultra-common non-color colors, black, white, silver or grey. Modifications: Spires "Comfort Suspension" package (15% softer spring rate) and 18x8.5 "Vela" wheels (same as front wheels on the base F-type) with 235/50 Goodyear Eagle tires (stock size came with 245/40r19 so these are 3/4 inch taller sidewall). Its still not the magic carpet ride that was my old XJ8, but its now smoother than most modern sedans.

#81 ·
Nice car Phil! Glad you finally found something that fit the bill. How's your back with it on longer drives?

Color is called "Caviar" but its sort of a burgundy, with a three-tone London Tan, Brown and Navy interior. I had hoped to find one in blue but I told myself that I was not going to have another car in one of the ultra-common non-color colors, black, white, silver or grey.
That is my mantra too. I just hate the color palette you see on the roads these days. Its like a grey scale rainbow. Some things were better in the 70s lol. I'm shopping for a first gen Tacoma myself right now and the configuration of drivetrain I want is somewhat rare so there's a good chance I might get stuck with a silver one, ick. Hoping for at least black, there's not many of them in the more vibrant colors.

#75 ·
Very nice. Maybe a weird question, but how well does the AC work for you?

I have experience with their SUV and my brother in-law has a blue XF. In the summers we noticed.

#78 ·
It's decent when its set right but my only complaint is it won't stay on recirc. Its got a timed 15 minute recirc and I haven't figured out if there is a way to change that setting. That would make a difference if it would just stay in recirc mode instead of switching back to sucking in 115 degree, 99 percent humidity outside air. But I guess that's a minor thing to push the button every 15 minutes on really hot days. Most of the time its OK on fresh air.

Nice ride, Phil!

How well does it scoot?

- Jim
It would definitely be fun to drive. Of course I've taken some of the "fun" out of it with my luxury suspension and tire mods but its still quick in a straight line. Thing I like about this engine is the how smooth it is and the exhaust note is intoxicating. I started off wanting a newer model, but I drove a couple of the 340hp supercharged v6 and while that's still plenty quick, its not nearly as smooth or sounds as good. The v6 is actually a fascinating engineering story for those interested. Its actually the same v8 engine block with a slightly modified casting. They literally just blanked off two cylinders and used a supercharger to get back some of the lost power. Its a 90 degree block and to make it balance, they designed a split-pin crankshaft that mimics a 60 degree config. Its that compromise that's where it lacks the v8's smoothness. Keeping it at 3.0 liters avoids taxes in some foreign markets, plus it was easier to implement the economy start-stop feature due to fewer pistons and lower compression. While I read that the v6 start-stop feature could be artificially disabled, I really didn't like that feeling of the engine restarting from every stoplight and didn't want to be the guy running around with his car "hacked". Anyway, figuring that when its time to upgrade my daily driver again in the future, say in 2025, there probably won't be any new or late model v8's to choose from anymore. This is probably one of the last of big v8 sedans so I figured I'd get one while the getting was good.

Nice car! It's weird for me to see a car without some form of a shifting stick (auto or manual) on the center console.
Actually, I think its pretty cool. I loved the uncluttered interior and dash layout. Gear selector is a knob that rises up out of the console when you start the car. You turn it left to right for the traditional PRNDL pattern. Where L would be at the end is a "Sport" mode which engages the paddle shifters. I've only played around with the paddles a little bit. It would certainly take some getting used to if I wanted to use the car for any sort of motorsport but that's not on the agenda for this one.

#79 ·
Car and Driver had an article about the V6, and how they made it. The split-pin crank has been around for a while. GM used it to convert the "odd fire" Buick V6 to an "even fire" configuration.

The funny thing about all these small engines that are boosted to within an inch of their life; They do great on the EPA fuel measurement test, but get much poorer fuel economy in real world conditions. They do OK real world, but people enjoy the power, so they use it.

#80 ·
Nice car Phil. Not too many people mod these!

I also drive a V8 (6speed :naughty:) on summer days, and yes, a V8 has it own intoxicating music sound.

#82 ·
I had a solid black Lexus and learned from that I didn't ever want a solid black car for a daily driver - too hard to maintain. Jaguar offered a black and an ultra black, one of which had metallic in it. The metallic was far more popular as it supposedly helped mask flaws in the paint. It does help a little to mask scratches and swirls, but it doesn't help at all with dirt. Even this metallic "Caviar" color is so dark that it shows dust really bad. But its such a unique color that I guess I can live with washing it sometimes twice a week. I think having a pickup truck in black would be really bad. I am almost as anal retentive about my truck as my other cars, but still, its a truck and its just exposed to more risk because of what its used for. A lighter metallic color would be better for a truck.

#84 ·
I love my Black on Black Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, even in the summers in Alabama. The AC is phenomenal in them.

#87 ·
Wow!

The use of colour in the interior is simply stunning.

The long sweeping lines look simple, but the use of the colours to avoid a mono-block of one colour is gorgeous.

This Lexus LC500 interior is quite beautiful, but looks fussy by comparison. The modern style is to add a lot of details to make things look high tech.

Trust the Brits to be conservative but elegant.

Other manufacturers could learn from this.

I am so impressed.

#88 ·
Yup, black for a daily can be a little rough. Good news though, I found a truck, picking it up today, and its metallic green!

Dale, thats funny you posted that particular pic of the LC500 interior. I actually quite like that interior, but of course the car its in is too damned expensive (well maybe after 15 years of depreciation), but at the auto show I sat in the new Camry in red leather and it sure reminded of that interior, in a good way...

#90 ·
Dale, thats funny you posted that particular pic of the LC500 interior. I actually quite like that interior, but of course the car its in is too damned expensive (well maybe after 15 years of depreciation), but at the auto show I sat in the new Camry in red leather and it sure reminded of that interior, in a good way...
Seamus, I quite like the Lexus interior. It uses really high quality materials and makes great use of different textures. But when you look at the dashboard, it's too busy for my liking. The English are the masters of understatement. The modern trend is to add a lot of bric-a-brac to the interior and exterior. To me it seems like the Jaguar designer gave great thought to the sweep of every line and curve. I'm sure some people are put off by an interior that looks too simple. But to me, less is more.

Ban cell phones in cars. Speedometer, Tachometer, Ammeter, Voltmeter, Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, signal lights and high beam indicator are all that are needed. Hell, who needs a rear view mirror? Who needs a Speedometer?

Honda S800 Dashboard. Sochiro Honda knew what was important. For Entertainment system look at the redline on the tach.

Anyways, I think Phil's interior is wonderful!

#89 ·
At least the infotainment screen is integrated in the dash. I looked at so many cars that the screen looked like they just mounted an I-pad as an afterthought or even more ridiculous a screen would rise up out of the dash and obstruct the windshield view. Now needing reading glasses, I wish the XF screen was bigger but I guess luxury styling is the tradeoff.

#95 ·
You guys just have to have your very own dipsticks, don't you. Why don't you invest in pictures of dipsticks and just dream about the good old days like the rest of us instead of whining? Note to self... check into business possibilities for dead batteries and fake dipsticks. $19.95 plus shipping and handling with a second one absolutely free for nothing more than a separate fee, a couple of fi's a fo(e) or two and some fums could bring in gazillions!
On the other hand, I like Phil's idea of having NASA monitor everything for us and just taking care of whatever the situation is as well. Although a courtesy radio communication to advise us mere humans of the situation and to ask if we might like to assist would be my preference. Well, as long as it had a don't fucking bother me setting! But I wouldn't be able to just enjoy something like that without at least trying to conspire with those smart asses on the appropriate weapons, I mean tools, no, assets, yeah that's it, to deal with the stupid people all around us. Now that would be a "video game" a sick fuck like me (and lots of the other members of this "family") could really enjoy. And there's no denying we'd get serious bonuses from God herself for our services on behalf of all humanity. She would definitely appreciate the assistance we'd all be providing on her behalf. Even she can't possibly handle this all by herself. But then why aren't we getting the bonuses for what we're already doing in this regard? Oh yeah, unauthorized assistance although welcome and necessary, doesn't qualify us for bonuses. And even an idiot would know that God has the best lawyers, so we'll just have to live with the current situation until renegotiation happens...
But could we also get a great handling hot rocket that would still be comfortable enough for Phil? And, in any color the we want too. No French's mustard yellow for me please though. YMMV. And for those of us that prefer black or whatever color, how about self cleaning? I can dream too, can't I!

#96 ·
Wow!

Car companies seem to be trying to get rid of the "stickie outie bits". I had a choice of either a Ford Flex or a Ford Fusion for a company car and last year the Fusion came with the rotary dial transmission control.
I have used several rental cars with a rotary dial and while in normal conditions they are okay, in moments of high stress (I'm backing out of a parking spot and an 18-wheeler is barreling down at 80 miles per hour) clockwise or counter-clockwise is not a thoughtless process. Leave the damn thing in whatever gear it's in and get out of the car while it gets plowed by the rig!

Having said that, does the shifter on the XF rise out of the tunnel when you start the engine? Hopefully "Also sprach Zarathustra" fires up on the sound system. That must look pretty cool! Seriously.

With regards to the dip stick, I guess it's a sign of the times that it's not a motor and transmission any more; it's a power pack. How many times does the typical young person check the oil level on engine or transmission? I guess it's safer to have a computer monitor oil pressure/level. Truth is engines are so good now, they can be sealed up to avoid mistakes by the owner.

I recently bought a 1999 Duratec powered Taurus Wagon (Shooting Brake sounds so much more exotic) and when I was talking to the retired forestry engineer previous owner I laughed how I had seen several with the original spark plugs. He sounded sheepish and said that he had never changed the plugs on the 100,000 mile car. They were platinum tipped and the car still ran pretty well. When I changed them the gap was about 3mm rather than the spec of 1.1mm.

For a luxury car I have to imagine that Jaguar figures you will take it to a dealer rather than check things out yourself.

#97 ·
My 2002 beemer has an electronic oil level sensor, and advise me when level is low. There is a good old dipstick, but earluer models don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.