Cracked front engine cover issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cracked front engine cover issue

This past year I bought an 85 supra from a buddy of mine which came with an unfinished engine he was rebuilding. Well long story short I need to get this motor finished and installed because the original one was acting up. Any way everything was going great until I put the front cover on (the part that holds the water pump and houses the front crank and oil pump drive seals) I noticed a crack between the 2 seals that extended down to the front crank seal. So I thought it was a bad front cover. I pull the cover off the original motor and installed it. While torquing the last bolt I heard a loud pop. What the hell!? The cover cracked right where the last one was so I knew something up. Apparently my buddy (bless his soul) had put the wrong bolt in the oil pump shaft hold down. It was too big. Not enough to notice when you test fit the front cover but just enough to push out the cover making it bow to the point of breaking.. now its a hair line crack but it runs along the side of the front crank seal. Unfortunately this cover is pretty hard to come by so Im resorting to repairing it. I was thinking about using a dremmel and trenching the crack or v-ing out the crack, not all the way through but enough to square it and then rough sanding it a little then use jb weld to fill and bond the area and of coarse after it cures I'd clean it up and smooth it out on both sides of the cover.. will this be an effective repair? I am going to eventually replace the 5m with a jdm 6m in the future but until then I would like to not have to worry about this cover leaking because I'll be using synthetic oil. What are some of your thoughts on this? Experiences?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SuprasEdge View Post
    This past year I bought an 85 supra from a buddy of mine which came with an unfinished engine he was rebuilding. Well long story short I need to get this motor finished and installed because the original one was acting up. Any way everything was going great until I put the front cover on (the part that holds the water pump and houses the front crank and oil pump drive seals) I noticed a crack between the 2 seals that extended down to the front crank seal. So I thought it was a bad front cover. I pull the cover off the original motor and installed it. While torquing the last bolt I heard a loud pop. What the hell!? The cover cracked right where the last one was so I knew something up. Apparently my buddy (bless his soul) had put the wrong bolt in the oil pump shaft hold down. It was too big. Not enough to notice when you test fit the front cover but just enough to push out the cover making it bow to the point of breaking.. now its a hair line crack but it runs along the side of the front crank seal. Unfortunately this cover is pretty hard to come by so Im resorting to repairing it. I was thinking about using a dremmel and trenching the crack or v-ing out the crack, not all the way through but enough to square it and then rough sanding it a little then use jb weld to fill and bond the area and of coarse after it cures I'd clean it up and smooth it out on both sides of the cover.. will this be an effective repair? I am going to eventually replace the 5m with a jdm 6m in the future but until then I would like to not have to worry about this cover leaking because I'll be using synthetic oil. What are some of your thoughts on this? Experiences?

Just post in the wanted section. There may not be any in your local salvage yards, but somebody here will send you a front engine cover. I may even have one, but will have to rummage through the piles over the weekend.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Cool deal, thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

So you don't think jb weld will be a good idea?

Need something soon. The wife is getting tired of me driving her car

CelicaSupra.com Member
    J-B weld is a very effective cure. I have used it for years in repairs that take heat , pressure and oil. If you vee it out on both sides, the repair will be very strong. OR cut a little back cut in the Vee , so it has extra surface to bond to. I just did a bottom gas tank repair for a leak on my 69 Corona with it. When dealing with a gas leak, you must have the tank dry so the J-B weld can cure without gas getting into the uncured J-B . I always use the regular type , not the J-B quick, as I like to let it flow out so it is smooth.

Given the value of these cars, I'd find a good used one. Check out "parts for sale" in this forum, or the yards have plenty of Supras and Cressidas.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too Carlh, theres no pressure here and oil splash will be all the fluid that hits it. I believe it will be a strong repair as well. Thanks for you input. Unfortunately supkar in my area right now parts for these are kinda scarce so if I can't find any bybthis weekend I'll need to attempt to repair

Quote Originally Posted by SuprasEdge View Post
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking too Carlh, theres no pressure here and oil splash will be all the fluid that hits it. I believe it will be a strong repair as well. Thanks for you input. Unfortunately supkar in my area right now parts for these are kinda scarce so if I can't find any bybthis weekend I'll need to attempt to repair

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...upra-PART-OUTS
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Maybe this is still available:
    http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/sh...729-misc-parts
    I'd do the JB weld also.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information