UK people - new wheels? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Honestly if it makes you feel any better its getting slim pickens for top level street care tires in 17" as well in the wider sizes. My car needs a new set of tires and there are only a couple of tires left in the summer performance tire category. Last time I bought tires there were tons. I don't really want to, but I plan to go 18" soon. You can blame the auto industry for that when all the cars have 19-22in wheels on them. New cars are where the money is at.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    You can blame the auto industry for that when all the cars have 19-22in wheels on them. New cars are where the money is at.
    Absolutely right. But I figure eventually it HAS to go back the other way. Its a fashion TREND and nothing more. Roadways are NOT getting any smoother and government has neither the funds, nor the political will to tax us more to fix them. Our driving surfaces will just keep getting worse. Twenty years ago I had never heard of "wheel repair" and now there are about a dozen different local companies and I see one or another "wheel repair" truck every day running around between car dealerships fixing busted wheels.

One of these days, the buying public will wake up to the fact that they have never, ever taken their car to a track or even significantly exceeded the speed limit on a twisty road (they can't or they'll bust a wheel). They'll eventually realize their suffering poor ride quality from rubber bands is wasted since they'll never use any of that performance.

Auto manufacturers sell it as "safety" but nobody knows how to use it anyway. I used to do autocross. One or two Sundays a month for about five seasons I got to where I could handle a car pretty decently. A decade after my last competition, I got the Supra out of mothballs to give it a little exercise and somebody decides to slam on their brakes in front of me. All I could do was slam on my brakes and try to point it away from danger. I wound up 180 degrees on the highway shoulder, only luckily not hitting anything or getting hit. Despite that I had plenty of following distance to bring the car to a safe stop, I lost control. Analyzing my mistakes, I realized that all the lowering springs, sway bars and low-profile, high-performance summer tires in the world were absolutely useless to me without PRACTICE. Athletes call it "muscle memory" where they don't have to think about the steps in catching a ball, they just do it and they are successful more times than not. Most of the goofballs on the road have never done any performance driving at all, let alone ten years ago. Do you think they know what to do to avoid an accident? The only performance technology on their modern cars that's any safer for them is the parts where the computer takes over, certainly not the low-profile tires.

Eventually, the driverless pods will all need far more comfortable tires because people will care far less about what some damned pod looks like than how rough it rides. 225/60r14 may be just the size needed for a pod. For now, the BFG's are still available only because so many muscle cars from the 60s also had 14 inch wheels. Speed ratings are irrelevant since those classics aren't going to be driven on a track either.

If you plan to track your mk2, then 17 or 18 is probably the way to go for now and apparently even 16s are still plentiful in racing compound. Its a shame we don't have more "options" for a street tire in smaller sizes, but it is what it is until the current fashion trend fades away. Rant over.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Not a rant, Phil, just measured observations tempered by experience!

If I could have bought some "high performance" 14" tires for my MKII, I probably would have bought them, and saved myself the $750~$800 I spent on the new rims/lugs/locks/hubcentric rings....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I'd still be running the stock wheels if Goodyear still made the Eagle VR Gatorbacks to fit them. Those were spectacular tires in every way! Or maybe even if Yokohama still made the A-008's, which were the best available when the Goodyears no longer were. But they're gone too. As is virtually every decent 14" tire. There's lots of good 15's if you have a track only car. I'm running 16's now, and it looks like at least some will be available for years to come.
    Personally, I think larger wheels can look very good on our cars. But only those that are basically larger versions of period correct designs as well as a few others. Most modern flatter faced designs just look wrong to me.
    And as Phil says, the larger the wheel is and the lower the tire profile is, ride can seriously suffer on typical highways in the condition most of them have deteriorated to these days. And we all know that it's unlikely to get better anytime soon. Wheels are much more vulnerable to damage too. And they're not always repairable or replaceable either. I sure wish I could find a 5th of the wheels I'm currently running, "just in case".
    And I agree about keeping in practice. It can be a lifesaver. But that isn't much help when the vast majority of drivers are just clueless. Thinking advanced technology will save them in many ways can lead to their demise. When they eventually exceed the ability of the technology to correct their mistakes, the results can be tragic. It's just like 4WD or AWD drivers thinking it makes them better drivers on snow and ice when the reality is that thinking that makes them more likely to crash!
    At least there's options available these days to adjust ride quality and handling as desired. And maybe -1 and -2 wheel options really do make sense provided they'll clear the brakes.

Hi Rob I agree that getting someone here in the UK to custom billet machine some 17's is going to be mega expensive. I am in the market for some new wheels for my project and have been researching this for ages (my wife just rolls her eyes now when I mention the subject......).

According to my calculations a 225/50/16 would give a total diameter of 631.4mm compared tour stock 625.6mm. This would give a speedo reading error of -0.92% and increase the ride height by 2.9mm. I think that is OK.

Now, there are a few manufacturers starting to sell wheels in the 16" sizing with the 114.4mm bolt PCD that we need.

From what I can gather the 225/50/16 tyre is a BMW current size and there are plenty of good tyre brands producing this size (Yokohama, Michelin, Dunlop etc). I am even considering getting mine as run-flats to save the spare wheel dilemma for road trips. Rob - checkout blackcircles.com to see what I mean.

I am considering the Japan Racing JR12 which comes in 16x8 and 16x9 with some very usable offsets.

Also check out the FYK ED3. FYK is based in the UK and the wheel also comes in 16x8 and 16x9. I think that is actually looks like a 5 spoke version of our stock rims??

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FCAAAO...jU/s-l1600.jpg

I am not ready to pull the trigger yet - need to finish the roll cage etc etc........

Quote Originally Posted by 5MGEEEWIZ View Post
    ... I am even considering getting mine as run-flats to save the spare wheel dilemma for road trips.....
    And that would be the worst mistake you ever made... Plus you really shouldn't use them without TPMS sensors.

Why a mistake? I know the ride is worse but this won't be a daily driver by a long shot and the ride is gonna be hard anyway. Stripped interior and an external fuel pump won't make this a luxury GT. Most trips will be relatively short distances and TPMS are cheap now together with my trusty digital pressure gauge before i head off anywhere.

The car won't have any space for a spare now that the fuel tank is in the boot (trunk) and the roll cage will also be in the way. The security of being able to make it back home or to a garage might be worth the harsher ride.

As I don't get to post too often can I just say what a fantastic resource and community we have here on CS. I have gained a huge amount of knowledge and also motivation from lurking on here. Lets keep these cars going strong!!!! Cheers.

The cost of run flats and poor performance is not worth it. Use the money saved to pay for AAA or similar roadside assistance. A can of fix a flat and a tiny compressor if you're really worried about the wait for a tow. You could also source a similar diameter space saver spare and keep a bolt on spacer in the car to make it fit, or just make a bracket to keep a spare back there if you are really worried. TPMS is a great idea regardless, they really have come down in price quite a bit.

I don't think the handling is significantly different between the two, but the ride and noise on the run flats stink. Honestly just pick up an inflator kit from a new car at the junkyard. Most new cars don't have spares in them anymore.

Thread Information