Flooded Backyard - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Khlause View Post
    Oh good, its hard to see things on the small scale that this tablet gives.

I need to get a laptop again
    I really HATE lap tops,Nick.
    Buy a used desk top,monitor and wireless keyboard.
    Towers are easy to fix/upgrade.Lap tops really are not.
    I have (2) 18" monitors that you can have for free,the next time you go to Seattle.
    Both are VESA wall mountable.

Flood waters have gone down. Good.Time for some clean up,Jim.
    Our other members have had too much water,also. Some have too much snow!
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Water GONE!

This shot was taken a day or so later, after the water had drained away.

We had almost zero water intrusion into the garage. Two cardboard boxes got wet, one long, tall box with a "Rohn FRM Non Penetrating Roof Mount" on the bottom 1/2" or so, and the other, much smaller box, got soaked.

I was quite surprised that we didn't have more water intrusion by the big door. I guess the new "extra thick" seal I put on the bottom of the door this summer worked, as the last time we had this much water, it went into the garage about 12"~18" past the big door.

SO.....minimum cleanup, but I've been keeping both doors open during the day to air the garage out anyway.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Dave ill have to take you up on that; but most of all pick your brain on computer tech, I am very outdated

Quote Originally Posted by Khlause View Post
    Dave I'll have to take you up on that; but most of all pick your brain on computer tech, I am very outdated
    EYE can help with that deficiency.
    Like my Supra: ITS NOT STOCK!
    "Megga" RAM and a better hard drive.

My Lenovo(10) has a better tranny and a bigger oil pan with extra cooling.
    I have a "back up" with Windows 7 on it on a separate computer.
    If I total my Windows 10,I can repair it with information from my 7 back up comp.I
    would be lost without my computers,Nick. It's like a good buddy just died when my comp takes a big dump.
    BUY a used tower and I can hot rod it for you,in my shed.
    Bring beer.

It may be a 2 hour ordeal,depending on what OS it has inside.
    You MUST have the original OS disk with it.
    Not XP,please.
    No laptops,please. Too hard to upgrade.

meh....I build my own PC's. Been doing it since 1995.

This rig is running an Intel Core i7 quad @3GHZ, 32GB of memory, and 4 3TB drives in a striped/mirrored RAID configuration. It's running OpenSUSE Linux.

My audio/video editing machine is pretty much a clone of this one, but runs Windoze 7 Professional because the High Definition video capture card requires Windoze.

My Ham Radio machine I used for my Flex 5000 Software Defined radio also runs Windfoze for the same reason, but it's an AMD machine because the motherboard has extremely low latency which helps with the SDR software.

The only store bought computers I use are laptops because I can't build my own.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    meh....I build my own PC's. Been doing it since 1995.

This rig is running an Intel Core i7 quad @3GHZ, 32GB of memory, and 4 3TB drives in a striped/mirrored RAID configuration. It's running OpenSUSE Linux.

My audio/video editing machine is pretty much a clone of this one, but runs Windoze 7 Professional because the High Definition video capture card requires Windoze.

My Ham Radio machine I used for my Flex 5000 Software Defined radio also runs Windfoze for the same reason, but it's an AMD machine because the motherboard has extremely low latency which helps with the SDR software.

The only store bought computers I use are laptops because I can't build my own.
    Maybe you have enough hard drive space to host your neighbors movies on there as well,Jim. 12 tera bytes is plenty. Mine's 2.
    I can't stress enough how important it is to install the biggest RAM your comp will tolerate!I'm at 32 GB:The maximum my board will tolerate.
    The video card is a HOG on some systems that requires a 1,000 w. PSU and it will heat your house.Mine came stock with a 650 W.

I had to add additional cooling in the summertime to remove the heat it produces in my 8'X12' shed.

"Where's Dave? He's in the shed".

I rigged up a 4" dryer vent to the back side of the PSU to the outside,with a bathroom fan to the outside.
    My CPU runs @ 100F in the wintertime but now ,have a window unit A/C in my shed,now!!! Last year was the last straw.
    The little refer does produce some heat as well.
    Maybe my solar panels will power my entire shed this summer.

Wind power is too much trouble.

[URL="[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpscgcrwhla.jpg.html]

Well, it has 4 drives of 3TB each, but that doesn't add up to 12TB of useable space.

"Mirrored" means that 2 of the drives have the exact same information stored on them, for data loss protection.

"Striped" means that two of the drives "share" data by splitting it between the two drives. Drives have a maximum "burst rate" that they can transfer data at. By using the size of the burst data "package", and then switching to another drive right as the "package" of data from the first drive is running out, you can maintain the "burst rate". So in essence, you're switching between the two drives to keep the data transfer rate extremely high.

I did the striping for speed, and the mirroring for data loss protection.

So my 4 drive array really only has 6TB of "useable" capacity, but it's very fast, and has a redundant copy of itself. I also have several "Network Attached Storage" devices on our network so every PC has a weekly and daily back-up automatically scheduled and run.

I forget exactly how big the PSU's are in my PC's. I know they're at least 1000W units, maybe 1200W. This Linux machine has an NVidia GTX 660 video card in it. I don't have "ultimate" video cards because I don't do gaming or extreme rendering, just some CAD stuff on this one.

The audio/video machine also has a "medium level" video card for the same reasons. It does have multiple outputs, and is rated among the best for video production work, but I can't recall what card it is.

The Ham Radio machine also has a "medium" video card in it, as I don't do anything graphics intensive with it.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Well, it has 4 drives of 3TB each, but that doesn't add up to 12TB of useable space.

"Mirrored" means that 2 of the drives have the exact same information stored on them, for data loss protection.

"Striped" means that two of the drives "share" data by splitting it between the two drives. Drives have a maximum "burst rate" that they can transfer data at. By using the size of the burst data "package", and then switching to another drive right as the "package" of data from the first drive is running out, you can maintain the "burst rate". So in essence, you're switching between the two drives to keep the data transfer rate extremely high.

I did the striping for speed, and the mirroring for data loss protection.

So my 4 drive array really only has 6TB of "useable" capacity, but it's very fast, and has a redundant copy of itself. I also have several "Network Attached Storage" devices on our network so every PC has a weekly and daily back-up automatically scheduled and run.

I forget exactly how big the PSU's are in my PC's. I know they're at least 1000W units, maybe 1200W. This Linux machine has an NVidia GTX 660 video card in it. I don't have "ultimate" video cards because I don't do gaming or extreme rendering, just some CAD stuff on this one.

The audio/video machine also has a "medium level" video card for the same reasons. It does have multiple outputs, and is rated among the best for video production work, but I can't recall what card it is.

The Ham Radio machine also has a "medium" video card in it, as I don't do anything graphics intensive with it.
    My PSU cannot handle a big graphic card!
    Nvidea Quadro 600 is the one that works.
    NO multiple out puts and I had to bypass the motherboard built- in graphics features to run it separately.
    Good to have multiple back ups.
    OK,yours is bigger than mine.

I use the multiple outputs on the video card when I'm editing video. I have the editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro) running on the "main" PC monitor, and another monitor showing the finished product. It's nice to be able to see your work product without having to switch between windows on the same monitor.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

You two are way ahead on the PC tech; I had no idea things have progressed so far in the last 18 years.

Thread Information