Nasty rear end vibration. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would urge you to take each of the above ideas seriously, each of the members have posted some really spot on things.

You can also consider the following list.

Check the stub shaft that attaches your CV shaft to the wheel stub, *The diff Side*, make sure that it has no run-out, meaning its not some how wobbly or bent. It should be tight and rotate freely, as well as when turned appear to do nothing but turn in a circle. You need to be sure they are not crooked or tweaked in any way; these will cause the half shafts to wobble creating some not nice vibration.

There is a strong possibility that because the diff is now re-built and the bearings are now fresh, that the problem is made worse because of the bearings being good. Due to the above mentioned possibility. Bad bearings previously could have actually made it slightly less sever because a rotating mass does not like to spin out of round, it actually tries to find an Equilibrium. Unfortunately for bearings, this is not healthy.

Check also the axle stubs (attaches the wheels) to be sure they are straight, not bent, and in good order. Same situation as the Diff side.

Check also the pinion shaft, to be sure that the input side is not bent or wobbling at all what so ever. Any run-out on any of the shafts at the differential will cause irritating vibrations.

If you encounter one of the above mentioned parts as bent / has absurd run-out, then replace the part and re-test.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thanks a lot.

There's a place near my work with a lift so I took it in on my lunch break. They had only gotten to it as I walked up at closing time, but she's going back in the morning. We spent some time underneath, the shaft parts are properly aligned, I see why the driveline shop didn't think the shaft/carrier bearing was the problem, the CVs seem good to go. We are closing in on the issue.

That radical "wobble" can cause some mechanical problems,as well as your "Not fun to drive" issues.
    When you/they can diagnose the problem,you car will be once again, a pleasure to drive.
    The 4.10 gears will be a kick in the ass to drive!
    Today is only Wednesday,in the AYEM.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    RESOLVED!!!

Drive shaft was balanced while I was at work and I drove it home like rolling butter. That was my first properly functioning Supra experience, and I liked it. I LIKED IT A LOT.

And yes, the 4.10 LSD helps her get UP. Getting into the far lane of the freeway was very fun.

Well done!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Sounds like great experience. And cool troubleshooting thread.

Thread Information