WHERE CAN I GET A 3:90 or 3:73 LSD? EVEN CUSTOM?

WHERE CAN I GET A 3:90 or 3:73 LSD? EVEN CUSTOM?

So like the title says, is there a company where I can have my diff converted from 4:30 to 3:90 or 3:73? After swapping in a 2j, I have no highway speed. Curious if any of the 2j or 1j swapped members have issues with cruising speeds with the stock gears.
    supra-b

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Find a junkyard with toyota 2WD pickups

You can pick a decent set of gears

Yhe puckup dropout and diff will be pointless, but it offers you the 3.73 ratio you want in some of the 2wd pickups PRE 1995; meaning 1994 and older.

Look for axel code F302 actual ratio 3.727:1

Its possible to find the 3.90 gears in the front of V6 toyota 4runnrr years 1989 to 1994

Gear code F072 actual ratio 3.90:1

EDIT: special note, the 4runner axel code most likely will read G072 OR G074. Because odds are they only list the rear axel ratio and code on the door jam tag.

Regardless, its the front end you're intrested in for the 3.90:1

Again the only parts you will be able to use are the ring and pinion; unless you like open diff.

Best of luck, happy hunting.

CelicaSupra.com Member Road Ripper's Avatar
    You're probably better off just finding an mx73 Cressida sedan diff. It's an open diff, but it bolts right in and a lot of them were 3.90 ratio. I've seen 4.10 in them too, but not as much as the 3.90. Some Previa vans also came with the 3.73 gears (more likely if they were supercharged and awd). They had an A axle code, but in those years it was still the 7.5" gear. Trucks and 4Runners seem to come with the 4.10 or 4.30 most of the time. The 2wd trucks with the 4 speed had higher ratios for getting better gas mileage out of the 4 speed trans.
    Hidden Content
    Dan (DragonLady's husband) *RIP Tyler (2yo son lost to cancer)
    1986 P-type (Ruffian) black 6M 5 speed (formerly Lexusboy's), sitting.
    1986 P type MKII 2tone night blue met/silver met. 5MGE auto, waiting for summer.
    2005 Dodge Magnum Magnesium Pearl - new family car!
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Charcoal, family/stuff hauler

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

So the pinion gears are all I need..and swap them in my lsd unit and I can still retain lsd? I guess I have a MISSION hunting these down now, and hopefully in good condition. Thanks for the info guys.
    Last edited by supra-b; 01-26-2017 at 10:49 PM.
    supra-b

Try weirperformance.com. Spence Weir was able to find and rebuild my diff with a set of 3:73 about a year and a half ago. Much better gear ratio on the hwy than the 4:30.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    All 5spd 82 Celia Supras came with the 3.72 rear and LSD (I believe LSDs were optional on Ltypes in the US).
    All 5spd 85 Celica GTS (but not GT) came with the 3.9 rear end, and some with LSD (it was an option).

Changing the entire pumpkin is the most economical way. The cases, R&P and pinion shim spacer are all a matched set. You will greatly complicate the install process if you try and swap a different R&P into your case (but it is doable, just takes more time/$$).
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Yeah, having never done it before, and with no lift, a buddy and I yanked and replaced my entire diff in a leisurely afternoon. 22 bolts total I think, and about $50 worth of schmancy oil and friction modifier.

Yes I had that issue also. My stock was 4:30 could not drive past 100KM/H I swapped it out to a 3:73 and it has gotten much better.
    I have a spare set but it cost me $300 CAD for it used. Might be cheaper for you to call them up see if they could source you a used one as well.
    http://www.nitro-gear.com/ but what supra friend said would most definitely be the cheaper route.

Amayama does show a brand new Toyota 3.90 R&P in stock... somewhere... for $600+.

I've given up on finding a 3.90 for the time being.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2007 Lexus LX470

Thread Information