Windshield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield

CelicaSupra.com Member stealth_5mge's Avatar

Windshield

Hey CS.com I've managed to source a replacement windshield local to me and I'm pulling it from the car on Friday. The clips that hold the windshield trim are all broken on my car so I'm hoping to salvage the ones from the donor car. Just wondering if there's a trick to removing the windshield/trim retainers without damaging them (I've heard they can be stubborn and buried in urethane).
    Any input appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    ~Tony
    1985 P-type 5m-GTE
    1983 P-type 5m-GE (parts car)
    1982 RN30 4x4
    Previous toyotas; st162, aw11, ae92

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

If its an original windshield, the clips should be clear of urethane, but unfortunately what most glass replacement shops do is since they don't carry a supply of all various assorted clips, they just use the same urethane to "glue" the trim back on. That's why they put tape on it and tell you not to remove the tape for 24 hours. When you install the replacement windshield, be sure to repair any rust spots, prime any bare metal and then leave a channel all the way around for water to drain. When the mobile glass guy glues the trim back on, it blocks the channel and can trap dirt and water leading to more rust.

Its difficult to describe how to release the trim clips. There are two different types of clips holding the center and outer edge, a larger black one you release from the edge of the glass and it stays with the trim and the other small white one that you release from the edge of the trim but stays glued to the windshield frame. Sorry I don't have pictures, but you can study your broken ones and strategize how best to work it. This is the tool that I have used. Somebody may recommend an even better tool. If the trim is glued on, you may need a thin-bladed knife to cut it loose. I've always managed to salvage enough clips to reinstall correctly, sometimes from other Toyotas in the same junkyard.

Be sure to order the windshield dam kit 04562-30040. None of the glass shops will ever replace that but it makes for a far, far cleaner install. Its a strip of rubber that you stick to the windshield glass and it keeps the urethane from oozing out into the interior of the car, plus its the visible edge you see around the perimeter and looks much nicer than a knotty bead of goo. Despite that I have a pneumatic caulking gun, I can still never get a real smooth bead. I just don't do it often enough for practice to make perfect. But its an absolute necessity. The stuff is so viscous that you need much stronger hands than I to make it very far without cramping up. Don't know if you've done this before or not, but you'll want to cut a V notch in the urethane tip so that your bead is shaped like an upside-down ice cream cone (single-dip of course) and is taller than the dam strip. Specifications are in the TSRM as I recall. I prefer the 3M 08693 urethane. I avoid the rapid-curing urethane because since I don't practice this all the time, I don't want the stuff to start curing before I can get the windshield caulked all the way around and get it in the car.

I hope I've been some help. And I assume you've already worked out how to get the replacement glass out of the salvage vehicle.
    Last edited by pdupler; 02-01-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Oh, and when my mom had cancer, we stuck shower grips on the bathroom walls for her to hold onto. Actually just got some like it at Lowes so may not be the same brand. But turns out they work ten times better at holding a windshield than the tool made for the job at a fraction of the price.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the great reply Phil! Glass is pretty much the only part of a car that I've never touched so I might get an auto glass guy to help with the install but I'll be sure to get the dam kit. If I have time I'll try to document the process to help someone out in the future.

~Tony
    1985 P-type 5m-GTE
    1982 RN30 4x4

CelicaSupra.com Member Spoker Derek's Avatar

Windshield Clips

Just replaced the windshield on my '85 P-Type and had factory clips (no longer available and when they were, astronomially expensive). But I believe that your glass replacement place should be able to find clips from some other type car which should work. The other alternative is to glue the molding down and hope you can get it off again in the future. Be extremenly careful removing the molding as none of that is available new any where. Supra Derek, Walnut Creek, California
    Spoker Derek
    "AUTAZO - The Sleeper" - 453,000 original-owner miles - 7MGTE Turbo Swap at 392,000 miles - Wiseco Pistons/Rings - Eagle Rods - ARP Head/Main Studs - K&N Air Filter - GReedy Profec B-spec II Boost Control - HKS Fuel Defencer - Eibach Pro-Kit Springs - ADDCO Sway Bars - Tokiko Struts - 3-Inch Exhaust with Maganflow Muffler - Dyno Dynamics Dyno: 292 HP - 409 lbs. Torque - 1/4-Mile 14.47 Sec - 101.83 mph

Thanks for the tip Derek. My car never had the molding on it, but I picked some up from a buddy who was parting out his car a few years back, hence why I'm unsure of the process of installing it because I'm not the one who removed it.

~Tony
    1985 P-type 5m-GTE
    1982 RN30 4x4

This is something I'm going to need to do in the near future.

My windshield has a couple of nasty rock chips in it, one of which I can see easily turning into a crack, and the tint at the top is all faded to that "old car brown" instead of being a nice dark blue.

Keep us posted on how this goes. I'd love to see some pix of it being done.

I know Tanya had pix of her R&R, but I'm not sure what thread they're in.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

I was able to get the clips from Mark @ Vancouver Toyota last summer. An online store that has all kinds of fasteners including our windshield clips:
    http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/
    Original owner 82 P-Type, 2JZGTE, AEM, Borg Warner EFR turbo,NW leather seats, BBK, Coddington Wheels, Raptor Racing exhaust

Juka,
    That site is a goldmine for (easy to break after 30+ years) parts. Hard to believe I've never come across it before.

~Tony
    1985 P-type 5m-GTE
    1982 RN30 4x4

CelicaSupra.com Member eightsixxmkII's Avatar
    Good info here. I'll be following this thread, as I have to replace my front windshield in the future due to a bunch of rock chips and pits.
    Hidden Content
    05 Scion Tc: Sold. Mpg will be missed.
    85 P: New project. No motor/trans.
    86 P Super Deep Red (Cali Car):7mgte/w58.
    98 4runner Sr5: Daily driver. Parts/dead car hauler.
    96 Avalon: New daily.

Thread Information