Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

RB25DET mk2 swap

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mutantcolors 
#1 ·
I just barely blew my 5mge and I'm thinking about swapping in a RB25DET with a 5 speed out of a r33 skyline but I'm a little conflicted I don't have a giant budget but Ive got experience and a lot of time with a decent budget(enough for the engine,trans,clutch,driveshaft and any other odds and ends cause there will be many I know I'll need to make all custom mounts but oh well if you've got any thoughts they would be much appreciated also the car it would be going to into is a completely rust free white 1984 celica Supra P-type

#2 ·
Unless you have a hard on for Nissan motor it seems like a 2JZ would be an proven easier and therefore cheaper swap to execute.

#4 ·
that seems a little odd, from what i hear the 2j is a more even/smooth power delivery than the RB, and more reliable.

What kind of feed back are you looking for? You seem pretty set that you would like to do this swap, and from my knowledge it never has been done, so if you want to be different go for it! everyone puts 2j's in nissans, why not have a reverse one?

#5 ·
No desire to educate my self on the nissan, but arent the GTR's a V6? If so i can see the one advantage it has in moving weight backward in the chassis.

Sounds neat; you should just do it for the hell of it, I have yet to see any one swap a Nissan into a Toyota, so get too it.

#6 ·
No desire to educate my self on the Nissan, but aren't the GTR's a V6? If so ,I can see the one advantage it has in moving weight backward in the chassis.

Sounds neat; you should just do it for the hell of it, I have yet to see any one swap a Nissan into a Toyota, so get too it.
Maybe there is NO transmission tunnel issues. It may fit,'cause he has this engine that's in the garage,already.
You may proceed.
One's progress report will be anticipated. Your proposed swap may present problems that we have not seen before. No,really.
You may be the first Supra owner that has suggested such a swap,so far.
I'm interested,to say the least.:wtf:
Warm up the welder.

#7 ·
Tons of room in the MKII engine bay/tunnel for just about any engine created in an automobile, including many different transmissions depending on where you place the engine.

The engine bay is your oyster.

#8 ·
lol, so much misinfo in this thread. so many dreamers on all forums who ask these dumb questions. questions that are answered simply by doing. as everything is possible. if putting something that doesnt belong in a chassis you will have the same simple problems no matter what you do.

on top of that, RBs are inline 6's... with the same dumb over the head manifold, rb25 boxes are also quite large but i dont think as big as a r154.
a jz no matter what variation will be smooth, the RB is similar, but the jz's internals are much better, ... i mean, you can do the research and real life experience as well as the other pros and cons

if you had the experience why would you ask questions here?

#9 · (Edited)
The only reason to do this is to have a one of kind mk2 supra. While that is certainly admirable, and a 1jz (the actual closest Toyota equivalent to an rb25) is a pretty common swap around here, when is the last time you ran into a mk2 in person with one where you live? Or how many of them are in Salt Lake City? I would imagine locally, a 1jz mk2 will be pretty much just as unique, with out the downsides of the swap you are proposing. Which include:

- Poor parts supply in the US. 80s Skylines are only now legal for import. Up here in Canada they're actually passe now, we had them 15 years ago. So there have been shops that popped up that carry stuff for them and know them, not so much in the US. A 1jz is also a JDM motor, but it shares many serviceable parts with the 2jz's sold here and there has been a really good supply of these motors imported over the last couple decades.
- This is an undocumented swap, compounded by mixing parts from 2 different manufacturers. Besides that the 1jz swap is detailed in full (wiring included) on this board and other places on the internet, you will have to deal with normal swap problems that no one has encountered or solved before and you will also have extra issues from putting a nissan motor in a toyota. I'm not saying it can't be done (in fact the sr20 is a common swap in ae86s), but there are aspects of JZ swaps that are easy because of the family genealogy (shifter placement, power steering fittings, etc). I'm sure the wiring will be a lot more challenging too, especially with no support group to fall on.
- Last, its an inferior motor to a 1jz, and even more so to a 2jz. It is no smoother, you are misinformed. And it is certainly more fragile and will make less power reliably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.