Autonomous Vehicle Ride
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Autonomous Vehicle Ride

Just thought I'd share a glimpse into the future. Today I got to ride in an autonomous vehicle. No driver controls whatsoever. I saw three buttons related to opening/closing the door and the wheelchair ramp and that was it for user interface.

I think we're still decades away from autonomous vehicles becoming ubiquitous but I have no doubt that its a coming revolution. However, I choose to believe that it does not have to mean the death of the automobile as we know it.

Yes, I admit, automobiles, particularly new cars, are really wasteful things to have lots of money tied up in. They commute to work an hour each way and the other 22 hours a day they just sit out in the weather, deteriorating and depreciating, while waiting for their owner to need to go somewhere again. AV's on the other hand will not be something you have to own (unless you just want to), but rather you'd subscribe to a service and summon one when you need it. If families no longer need to own, maintain, insure and park multiple vehicles, one for every member over the age of 16, then it'll free up disposable income and an extra garage bay or two.

Then perhaps dad can afford a "toy" or "toys" to play with on the weekends. Perhaps dad will buy himself a mk2 Supra or an antique 30's Chevy or a pure track car or maybe a full offroad Jeep! By taking the place of the utilitarian automobile, AVs could actually a spark a resurgence of the automotive hobby. After all, automobiles didn't eliminate horses 100 years ago, rather riding horses just became a recreational activity instead of a work chore.

Rather than doom and gloom, I'm just going to choose to believe that's what's going to happen.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Honestly the way most people drive I'd be happy to remove them from behind the wheel... It's getting to where I have to even drive any more. I think it's going to be a lot sooner than decades. All the hot talent is moving to AI out here.

I can't wait for self driving cars to be the norm, i get close calls quite often especially on the motorcycle.

Still parks like an a-hole.

Should be interesting when the technology matures and people can trust it.
    Black '86 6MGE 5spd W58
    Terra Cotta '83 W58
    Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
    Still parks like an a-hole.
    That's funny. I hadn't even noticed that. But its the programmer's error. He probably parks his own car like that. I was talking to the programmer and he explained a little bit of how he programs a route. Once programmed, it will follow the same path over and over within one centimeter accuracy. While it uses GPS, that's not accurate enough, so it actually references fixed objects in the environment, like curbs, signposts and buildings using LIDAR and 3d cameras to maintain its relative position. I watched it go for a while and the darned thing might as well have been running on rails. And that's what they're marketing right now is functions like a people-mover at the airport or an on-campus circulator.

What I worry about is the loss of jobs as we automate more and more manual tasks. The Declaration of Independence can say "all men are created equal", but nothing could be further from the truth. Some people are born genius-athletes while others are born both mentally and physically handicapped with a wide range of human capability in between. There are an awful lot of people in this world who are not cut out to become software programmers or AV mechanics, but who could have been employed driving vehicles, and some who historically have made a pretty decent living at it. I like to watch Star Trek. It envisions a bright future without hunger or poverty, but hell, everybody on board understands quantum mechanics, even the children. We probably need another five thousand years of human evolution before everybody is smart enough to work on board a starship but it appears that its not going to be anywhere near that long before those are the only kinds of jobs available.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

The same discussions were had about job loss when cars came around to replace horses. Who will scoop the poop they said? They just didn't say it on the world wide web because it didn't exist yet :P

Because of the unknowns I find this an interesting future to to ponder. For example I heard that there is already a law requiring a person to be present in the car. A self driving vehicle without a passenger could courier anything which could be very problematic for public safety and LE. I am thinking that people will enjoy their diversions and instant gratifications better than maintaining control of their vehicle and they will quickly grow to depend on the technology. And instead of joking about having to walk to school barefoot in the snow up hill both ways we will joke that we had to learn how to drive with a steering wheel and foot pedals. I have also heard that self driving cars cause many people who are not normally susceptible to motion sickness experience ill effects. What facets of this emerging technology do you think is good, bad or interesting from a social evolution aspect?

but rather you'd subscribe to a service and summon one when you need it. If families no longer need to own, maintain, insure and park multiple vehicles,
    So, its a taxi with out the paid driver.

Taxi Unions will some how get legislation passed that will make the cost of said rides on par / slightly more expensive some how than a regular cab.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I commute to work each day without the help of a car, have done so for many years. Its an hour and half each way, but its a breeze. I carry a lap top and get lots of work done on my personal projects, I never get involved in road rage or frustrated at assholes on the road (like every time I drive any meaningful distance), my total transit cost per month is $200 (no accumulating maintenance costs or surprise bills), I've never felt the need to own a new car (I've never had a car payment), I don't get traffic tickets, I don't suffer from bad traffic and I don't get into accidents. Every now and then I'll drive the car in for some reason, and I am quickly reminded of how much I hate driving during rush hour and look forward to getting back on the train. We have 6 cars, only one of them is a no nonsense appliance\human being transportation device, the rest are all Toys...

If autonomous cars can bring this lifestyle to the average joe who doesn't have the luxery of living near good public transit, we'll all be better off. I just hope they don't one day ban us old hooligans from driving our human controlled carriages on the road lol.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

The test trial was done in down town Las Vegas,recently.
    They were cautious and blocked off the side streets during the trial.
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/tr...cle-technology
    http://mashable.com/2017/01/12/self-.../#oqzRJdmSTkqQ
    We will see.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information