weir performace - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: weir performace

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CLToy View Post
    Having Weir redo my 1jz diff correctly was a blessing. He is a standup, honest guy and it was worth sending my diff across the country just to be sure it was done correctly for a change!
    this is exactly what I intended to do with my diff. I wanted to send it to him and have it rebuilt with the solid spacer and maxgrip. He has not gotten back to any of my emails or phone messages so I dont know what to do? that is why I thought maybe just by the parts from him and have someone else install them, but I cant even seem to be able to buy the parts as I never hear back from him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Ok, planning to head up to Weir Perf next week to pick up some solid pinion spacers. Anyone else need one, or a Maxgrip Kit, I will need paypal payment by Monday night. Send it paypal gift so no fee, I will refund if deal doesn't happen.

Trexse@ you have a PM.

Any questions PM me or email

toy4speed@yahoo.com

Don

fyi, approximate total for shipped: solid spacer $75, max grip kit $225, most of 48 states.

Don

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member eightsixxmkII's Avatar
    How does the max grip w/spacer compare to a Tru-trac? I need to upgrade my diff soon after the trans swap.
    Hidden Content
    05 Scion Tc: Sold. Mpg will be missed.
    85 P: New project. No motor/trans.
    86 P Super Deep Red (Cali Car):7mgte/w58.
    98 4runner Sr5: Daily driver. Parts/dead car hauler.
    96 Avalon: New daily.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don L. View Post
    Ok, planning to head up to Weir Perf next week to pick up some solid pinion spacers. Anyone else need one, or a Maxgrip Kit, I will need paypal payment by Monday night. Send it paypal gift so no fee, I will refund if deal doesn't happen.

Trexse@ you have a PM.

Any questions PM me or email

toy4speed@yahoo.com

Don
    ok Don, that sounds good. I just sent you the paypal for the maxgrip
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eightsixxmkII View Post
    How does the max grip w/spacer compare to a Tru-trac? I need to upgrade my diff soon after the trans swap.
    Well, in my opinion it's apples and oranges. I've never used a Maxgrip kit, but in general, the Maxgrip makes the worn out stock 2 way clutch LSD lock up again, probably a bit more so than originally. Preload of the clutch discs gives an idea of how soon the LSD begins to lock. The chatter you hear in slow tight turns is the result of the LSD locking up, wanting the inside and outside rear tires to spin at the same rate. If I were to guess, stock lock up about 30%, means no chatter in tight turns as the inside/outside tires can turn at different rates, as the LSD clutch plates are slipping. Bump the lock up to say, 50% and you might begin to notice the beginnings of chatter, but on power the LSD will lock up sooner. Yes, the Maxgrip should put power down better than stock, still its the stock LSD unit and gears so high power levels might be a concern. The Trutrac is a non clutch type LSD, they call it helical or gear driven. No preload chatter on low speed turns, locks up well under power, holds up to significant increased power levels. Never heard of anyone breaking a Trutrac unit (the LSD). I've broken ring and pinion gears, axles or the CV joints of them, but never a aftermarket LSD unit. Enough other parts to break before the LSD. Any LSD install should include a solid pinion spacer in my opinion, unless you plan on staying at stock power levels, then ok with the stock crush pinion spacer, but its still a good upgrade for anyone.

Much depends on what you doing with the car. I like the Trutrac for most street cars as the best upgrade. All the other options like Cusco, Kaaz, OS Giken, may work better for racing, but much higher initial cost and maintenance.

Don

Has anyone connected with WEIR Performance lately? Spence has not returned my emails, been trying to get some quotes.
    supra-b

Quote Originally Posted by supra-b View Post
    Has anyone connected with WEIR Performance lately? Spence has not returned my emails, been trying to get some quotes.
    Last I spoke with him, about a week ago, he was down with the flu. Been waiting to hear back from him as when some parts would be ready for me. It took about 1 1/2 weeks for him to return my call/email last time.

Don

Hopefully we connect, I need a Diff ASAP..
    supra-b

Quote Originally Posted by supra-b View Post
    Hopefully we connect, I need a Diff ASAP..
    Not sure ASAP is gonna happen. Just sayin.

Don

Thread Information