Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Brake Pad Options for Track Use and OEM calipers

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  SupraFiend 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Looking for upgraded pads on my OEM calipers. Just looking for more bite as my pads are quite old and rusty, as well as the rotors. I see Raptor Racing offers the porterfields but they sound more like a race pad with needing warm up with their ceramics. I've run the Hawk blue pads for quite some time on several of my vehciles and have been happy with their performance. Not needing a real warm up and stop quite good, looking for similar performance. Looking for Canadian availability more than anything as well as our dollar still isnt great with the USA dollar.

Anyone have any luck with the EBC Green or Red Stuff pads? any other options? Hawk doesnt make them for the MKII and honestly I'm not too familiar with many other brands for pads. Stick with what you know I guess.

#2 ·
Those really good,but if your happy with the blue ones,you may be disappointed from changing to another style. Maybe the red ones:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance-street/pads/hps-race
There are choices there.

I use Wagner's for the street.Not aggressive and are easy on rotors and very quiet.You need a LOT more stopping power than my DD!
You have more HP and way bigger tires!
Raybestos brake pads.https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/en-us/catalog-part-search.html
I saw nothing there.

#3 ·
Are these for the track only or a street/track car? What's the defintion of track. If you're trying to run the 24hrs of Leman is a lot different from autoX. You don't want ceramics for a track pad. Great for a street car where you want low dusting though. EBC looks like they make an yellow pad for the Mk2. Porterfields R4 is their track pad compound. Good venting and cooling will help you a lot.

#4 ·
hawk doesnt make pads for the MKII..like i said
street car mostly but i run a grip series at my home track here in victoria, and that reaches speeds of 100-120kmhr tops. autox isnt even soemthing i consider for a comparison due to low speeds and quick tapping of the brakes. a track pad to me is something used at say laguna seca, the ridge, a lapping day event where high speed to low speed sections happen every lap and thus brake fade. typically a race pad to me is something that requires a good warm up and works bets under extreme conditions, vs a street pad which gives more bite, no warm up (after break in) and works well, but with a lapping day would see fade.

i found some EBC on tdotperformance website but i dont know how accurate their system is...as it listed it under celica, gt, and then the displacements of the motors, they make ebc green and red

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/1982-...i[0]=4109&part_type_filter_multi[0]=4927&pl=1

not sure? and they only show the fronts, no rears

#5 ·
If you plan to run on a road course, there is absolutely nothing you can do with the stock brakes that will make them adequate from my experience.

I highly suggest the Q45/MPV upgrade as good option, and the '88 Cressida as a BARE MINIMUM (but even those tend to smoke under a full weight car).

--billyM

#6 ·
looking for street pads, not going to take it to a road course, its ridiculously slow and heavy, just need options for stock brakes.
make makes the late model x7 / cressida brakes better? i have x8 stock brakes from my 89 cressida, but then my wheels wont clear them...and need rotors that are 4lug

#9 ·
Most guys who do performance braking upgrades skip to bigger rotors so i'm not surprised you aren't seeing anyone chime in for brake pad advice for stock stuff. That said talk to George about his pads, he's a reasonable guy and i'm sure he's had some feedback on those pads we just didn't hear about.

#10 ·
I had run the Porterfield R4S pads with stock brake set up previously for years. No need for warm up, minimal dust. The R4 should stay away from for street use. Unfortunately, there are not many great choices for our cars vs. the modern hot popular vehicles.

Don L.

#11 ·
I used EBC RedStuff pads before going to the BBK. The EBC was better than the standard junk out there but the BBK is a night and day improvement over an OEM caliper...even for a daily driver.

#12 ·
Well, to keep the conversation going I might as well mention these...

https://www.carid.com/pbr/deluxe-brake-pad-set-mpn-w0133-1622408-pbr.html

I'm not sure what availability is actually like for them now days. I bought a set in the early 2000s... I'm still running them and they have barely worn. They're ceramics and they pretty much don't dust at all, which you would think would mean they don't offer great performance. But that has not been my experience, I find them much grippier then stock and very predictable... in the dry anyways. Their one vice is they seem to wash out when they hit big puddles of water. Might be a deal breaker for some, but I kinda love them and haven't had any reason to try anything else. I've used them in probably over 40-50 autoxes and 2 track days, and driven to California and back several times, etc. They did quite good at the track days too, but this was at Mission Raceways, not the highest speed road coarse in the world.

#14 ·
bringing this back as I would like to do brakes this year on the shuttle.
the BBK kit does sound enticing but im worried about brake clearance with my wheels. did anyone have tight clearance on wheels before with standard brakes and then was still ok with the BBK (wilwood/raptor) setup?
the car isnt used for high speed or even medium speed so i was just going to do pads and rotors like i normally do.
any in North America use the EBC and where they got them? I contacted EBC direct and the email I got was a "whut? i dont know what that is" response.
I would like to get them as theyre a good pad and moderate priced...and they exist.
only reason i would go BBK route is pad and rotor availability without issue

#16 ·
not sure if i trust that tdot performance and their odd system of finding vehicles. ill have a look around ebay and source them there I guess. still find it odd how they show so many variants of the celica/supra and supra is usually at the very end. i also thought celicas had different brakes than the supras?

#17 ·
We all have had issues with parts being NOT the ones that fit our cars!
Look and SEE the part numbers to cross reference that number with another source.....ALWAYS.

A Celica is not a Celica Supra. I learned that last week.
30+ old cars don't have a good parts source,anymore.
The catalogs are dumb-ass full of mis information and mis directions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.