WTB rusty rocker mouldings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB rusty rocker mouldings

There should be plenty of these out there

Specifically I'd like to buy a portion of the moulding to cut down on the shipping, at least one of more of the clips in one piece, and a screw. I'd like maybe the first ~12" and 12" off the rear. I'd be interested in both sides if they were available. The end cap pieces need to be in respectable condition. I also need to be able get a clean cross section cut the moulding somewhere in the portion, so its can't be a complete pile of iron oxide. Shipping would be to 95131 CA.

Hoping to get one of these for donation level pricing think of it for a good cause...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I sure hope you're making new ones.
    F/S & WTB: Hidden Content

That's the goal or at least to do a feasibility study. I'm not sure if the market is there for them or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    What do you want to make them out of?
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I've thought about this myself - I'd make a silicone mold and cast them, which is a little labor intensive initially, but allows you to make more on a as-needed basis.

An alternate would be to mill them from solid PVC the same way wood and PVC moldings are made. The upfront cost is getting a custom knife made for the milling machine, very very inexpensive afterwards. Still would probably have to cast the ends though, which gets you back to option 1.

After many, many years, I'm just getting back to reinstalling the trim pieces on my build. Will be keeping an eye on your developments.
    F/S & WTB: Hidden Content

I always figured solid fiberglass would be the way to go. But sounds like you're looking into some kind of extruding process. The stainless steel ones on the mx8x cressidas sure hold up well. They're stamped, but extruded could work well. Nailing down the finish is a little tricky. I've experimented with sprayable vinyls, ala vinyl wrap. The stuff I used first got the finish and look to match the oem stuff nicely but it got too malleable in the hot sun and came off after being bumped by a foot. I'm going to try actual PlastiDip paint next. If it can take being sprayed on wheels, which see a lot of heat from the brakes, it may hold up better.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    I've still got moulds and the material to pour. If I get a chance I'll make another set, but shipping a large piece that weighs 200 grams (7oz) is cost prohibitive, but I can send you the fiberglass mould.

Silicone moulds would be beautiful, but also very expensive. If I had a mint set for a mould that would be the way I'd go. Lay down some carbon fiber and vacuum bag, back fill with foam and voila.
    Hidden Content
    Terracotta Warrior
    aka Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    What do you want to make them out of?
    Aluminum extrusion

I have mounting clips and maybe a screw. PM me and I'll ship it.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

I'd love to see these made. You thinking of a short run or looking into having a distributor make them available long term?

I probably have what you need. I need to look at my pile of rusty mouldings, I generally toss them but I know I have at least a couple around.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Thread Information