Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Getting the most rubber

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  '82supra 
#1 ·
Ok guys, here's the piss ass question: on an open diff, can I use a slightly bigger tire?

I know it's not recommended, especially for an LSD, but isn't that the one advantage of an open diff?

Here's the reason: I have two pairs of tires 1) 215/60/r14 2) 225/60/r14

On each set, one tire has more wear (power side), so I was wondering if it would make enough of a difference that I could match up the two good tires, one from each set on the rear, even though they are not the exactly the same.

According to the tire size calculator, the circumference difference is only 2%. From what I've read, that is still within safe specs (3% on most diffs). Is it worth it? Anyone messed around with this combo before on their open diff?

I like to get another season out of the rubber I have. The front tires are still good but I'll prob end up replacing the full set next year, just not up to it atm.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
You mean unmatched diameters left to right? On an open diff it won't have a huge effect, but is probably not great for it in any case. Might wear out the spider gears?

#3 ·
It depends on your driving habits. 100 KM @ 100 KPH WILL overheat the spider gears,depending on the amount of difference in tire height.On a 24" tall tire VS. a 24 1/2" tire? Don't do it,unless you are short trip driver,Greg. Then,it wouldn't overheat the spiders in there.

On my LSD,I cable-chained one rear tire for a short trip in the snow. That didn't make the clutches very happy,but I did it anyway. BUT the height was 1/2" difference,the cable chain added a 1/4 " from the centerline of the axle. It's not the diameter,it's the difference from the axle centerline.
That's my best shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.