HachiRolla's '83: Ali - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Yeah, getting feedback is nice isn't it? Its the point of posting stuff, if no one replies, whats the point?

Sadly one of the biggest problems communities like ours are facing today, is Facebook. FB is killing enthusiast forums everywhere right now. People are lazy and are joining FB groups of their particular interest instead of checking into the established forums for these interests/marquess etc. If FB actually improved on forums in someway beyond making it easier to post pictures and centralizing where you do all your "internetting", I'd be all for it. But FB is an absolutely atrociously horrible tool for documenting, storing and finding useful information, the pillar stones of any good enthusiast vehicle group. So the result is half of our community is on FB now, and the other half is here. Some visit both, I suspect most have a preference and avoid the other. Traffic on this board, and every other car forum I visit, has noticeably dived in the last couple years.

I have been watching your build progress, but I've not piped up yet as you haven't really done anything beyond the ordinary yet. MPV brake and 7mgte swaps are more then just a little common around here That said, you're obviously going thru the throes of sorting a new project and I suspect you're going to get into some more interesting stuff soon. You obviously have some decent ability and drive so I'm keeping an eye on your thread
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Well put, SupraFiend. I don't follow any celica supra pages on Facebook. I prefer this environment because of the interaction and ability to trace progress, I agree, if Facebook had a forum set up I'd be all about it, but it doesn't offer the opportunity we have here now.

There won't be a whole lot of spectacle with this car for the time being. My goal is a street mannered family-esque car. My real builds happen in the AE86s. But, this won't be your everyday mkii hopefully. I am thinking about redesigning some rear lcas. We will see what happens.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

'83 MKII, To be 7M-GTE powered
    '84 AE86, FD spec drift project; '86 AE86, Toy car, lots of mods!
    '88 SV25, AWD 5spd Camry Grocery Getter

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    This plays ebbs and flows, it's weird. Some weeks it is super active and others it is like a ghost town. If these guys are anything like me they have your thread subscribed and set to weekly updates, since surely no superhuman will update more than once a week right? But here you are killin it multiple days in a week and everyone with weekly subscription will prolly chime in after saturday night after seeing your excellence. Lookin forward to your progress, always dig custom fittings and lines and small details like that. Who did you get your pillar pod from? I'm surprised those are even out there still.
    Nail on the head, gamble. I'm one of those guys. Been watching this thread and impressed with the OP's drive, skills and enthusiasm. Plus, a supportive significant other is like frosting on the cake. Good work going on in here.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Yeah, getting feedback is nice isn't it? Its the point of posting stuff, if no one replies, whats the point?

Sadly one of the biggest problems communities like ours are facing today, is Facebook. FB is killing enthusiast forums everywhere right now. People are lazy and are joining FB groups of their particular interest instead of checking into the established forums for these interests/marquess etc. If FB actually improved on forums in someway beyond making it easier to post pictures and centralizing where you do all your "internetting", I'd be all for it. But FB is an absolutely atrociously horrible tool for documenting, storing and finding useful information, the pillar stones of any good enthusiast vehicle group. So the result is half of our community is on FB now, and the other half is here. Some visit both, I suspect most have a preference and avoid the other. Traffic on this board, and every other car forum I visit, has noticeably dived in the last couple years.

I have been watching your build progress, but I've not piped up yet as you haven't really done anything beyond the ordinary yet. MPV brake and 7mgte swaps are more then just a little common around here That said, you're obviously going thru the throes of sorting a new project and I suspect you're going to get into some more interesting stuff soon. You obviously have some decent ability and drive so I'm keeping an eye on your thread
    Couldn't have said better myself, Seamus. I'm not on FB, or any social media come to think of it. FB has pretty much killed supraforums and supra mania as well. Together, cs.com and the other two supra-centric sites take up the majority of my internet time. I'm a mod on SF and, sometimes, I think the mod group is just talking amongst ourselves. A real pity, actually.

From time to time, I been tempted to join as it relates to some Toyota-centric special events like ToyotaFest, JCCS, SIV2017 and so on. That said, I never been able to take the plunge for all the reasons you articulated. Life already too short, and I don't need FB reducing my life expectancy any more than is already the case.

Ken.
    1985 Toyota P-Type Celica Supra 5MT
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1995 Toyota Supra Turbo
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo; 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Good work so far Mike, I think we are all usually watching, I don't like posting If I don't have anything to contribute.

As for the FB killing all the forums I couldn't agree more. Seems 10 years ago people forgot how to search and wanted to be spoon fed. Now they are just being trained to have instant gratification. Time isn't invested in things like the used to... I wonder how people are going to ever master anything if everyone has the attention span of squirrels . Joking, Keep the good progress up and before you know it you'll have a solid car on the road.

PS: I'll get you those diagrams you asked for hopefully tonight. or at least look if I have something you don't.
    -Parker-
    1985 MKII:2jz/R154/AEM EMS2

Thanks for chiming in Ken. It's nice to hear that people are impressed with my work. Normally it's just work, so it's nice to escape that realm and do some things that I really want to do, where I can experiment some and try things other people haven't done before.

Parker, I get that. I'm much the same way.

One forum I was super active on fell apart in the course of about a year, I managed to get one of the guys on Facebook and we can keep in touch there.

I've spent countless hours sorting through random information online and reading tons of threads, when I get my mind set in something I usually don't just let it go to find something else. I need information and knowledge. I want to know.

Regarding the diagrams, I would greatly appreciate it. The engine is going in tonight.

Oops, cats outta the bag...

Mike

Mike

You guys are right about the facebook thing. facebook is good in some ways, but for build, restoration, troubleshooting, and those types of threads, I've always felt like this is so much better. The people that post on here seem a lot more knowledgeable and willing to help out than on facebook. A lot of the threads I've seen on facebook always seem to just end with people yelling at each other and making fun of other guy's mom.

Mike

Mike

Hey guys, progress has not been as productive as I would've hoped over the last week. I did get the motor in and started tinkering on many little things. Clutch bled, new feed hard lines run and return line set up. AN fuel setup done on the engine side, as well as the return hoses. Routed engine harness into the firewall and hooked up the alternator. Driveshaft is in. Collected my fuel tank and opened it up to find loads of rust and scale. I've got that problem solved, but as the fuel tank is out of an 83 it used to be an external fuel pump. I am converting to an internal pump, and need to modify the sending unit to house and hold the Denso TT mkiv fuel pump I am using. I've searched briefly on this subject but didn't see any definitive results. Any ideas or input on the actual procedure here?

Mike

Mike

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I think its pretty much drop in as I recall, as long as you have a later pickup of course. Worst case, use a hose clamp to hold the pump to the pickup.

There is however a trick to actually putting the pickup with pump and filter into the tank correctly. Once you put it into the hole, use a flashlight to get the tip of the filter pointing down through the top of baffle box that is inside. The pump has to end up inside of there or you will have starvation problems. Once the tip is in, just keep rotating the whole assembly while slowly pushing it in, and if you do it right, it will just go in nicely in one smooth motion.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

SupraFiend, I have the old style pickup, not sure about finding a new pickup unit from a later model. I assumed it would fit, but haven't even tried tracking one down as I assume it's expensive.

Mike

Mike

Thread Information