Technotoy Tuning Roll Center Adjusters - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    The new GTX2 LCAs you mean, the weld ons will have the same issue.

Don, the only reason not to keep on throwing more RCA until you compensate for your drop is if the RCA pushes the bottom of your balljoint into your wheels. Won't be an issue for you with your 18s, but if you still want to be able to run your 15x10s it certainly will be a problem. Thats the only reason I'm not doing it, I'm sticking with 15s for the foreseeable future on my black 86. I am dropped 2.6 inches, a T3 33mm RA6x spacer with my current 40mm RCAs and a little milling would do it. Finding long and strong enough bolts can be an issue too though.

At this point, it is the broken roll center that perturbs me more then the bump steer. Luckily I have a solution for my own case.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Yes, thanks for clarifying! I am installing the TTT GTX2 adjustable arms, and no clearance issues.

I gave up on the 15 inch wheels when I got the BBK. Still have my 16x9.5 wheels though. Not a good tire selection for 16" though. I might consider stacking RCAs but I would probably weld them together, but then finding the long bolts would be and issue, unless I made something like wheel adapters. Bolt a RCA onto the steering arm, then attach strut housing to bolts welded to the RCAs. Oh, just thinking out loud.

Don

Hello, are these available still?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by razosupra83 View Post
    Oh, yes they are! PM me with any questions you might have.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by razosupra83 View Post
    Were you looking for a 5mge ecu a while ago? I might have 1 or 2 of them still.

Depends how picky you are on bolt strength. These rcas you have, and every other set that's ever come out for our car, have all come with Grade 8 bolts. I sourced grade 10 ones for Deanfun's car in the length we needed (it was like 120mm threaded end I belive? maybe 140) but he had a provincial safety inspection to go thru and they would take nothing less then grade 12. They found them, but it took awhile. The factory bolts are about a grade 8 too as I recall.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Depends how picky you are on bolt strength. These rcas you have, and every other set that's ever come out for our car, have all come with Grade 8 bolts. I sourced grade 10 ones for Deanfun's car in the length we needed (it was like 120mm threaded end I belive? maybe 140) but he had a provincial safety inspection to go thru and they would take nothing less then grade 12. They found them, but it took awhile. The factory bolts are about a grade 8 too as I recall.
    Man you've got a good memory. You remember more about my cars suspension setup than I do. While you did source bolts, I am pretty sure what's on the car are some 120MM grade 12 bolts I sourced from a local bolt supply shop. When I inspect the suspension this spring I'll have a closer look at what's on there. One day I would like to have some custom one-piece RCAs done up in the proper (gigantic) height. Stacking is lowish risk, but still something I'm not comfortable with forever.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2007 Lexus LX470

I wonder if it would be significantly better to TIG weld the 2 stacked RCA units, forming a single 66mm tall unit. Would definitely need a much stronger bolt, probably bump up the torque tightening at the bolt too.

I really like sharing this article about bump steer, especially like the diagram on page 1 describing the tie rod end and LCA rotating on similar axis and planes. I think my new T3 GTX2 lower control arms helped greatly in approximating the similar arc of the tie rod under suspension travel. I might still try stacking the RCAs though, but for now will try some testing with the setup.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...Toe-Steer.aspx

Don

Good ol Kojima. I'll have reread all of those again for fun. Pretty sure I've read most of them, but I certainly have read that classic old Sport Compact Car 4 part guide on handling. What was it called again? It was bloody awesome, Kojima's stuff is a little redundant if you've read and digested everything in those articles. But he does obviously spend lots of time on specific things, I will have to reread his again.

Back to RCAs, you guys are stressing too much about the strength that would be gained from having one RCA vs 2. The problem isn't that the RCAs are not attached to each other, its that the overall height change is increasing the shear forces. Its the strength of the bolt that is important, I really don't think a 1 piece vs 2 piece RCA would make much if any of a strength difference. Think about how easy it is to push the rca laterally out of the arm and strut casing with no bolt attached. Its the clamping force that makes it all strong. With a grade 12 bolt I don't think you are going to have any issues.

Dean, I'm sure the bolts you sourced are still on the car, there wouldn't be any reason to have changed back to the ones I sourced (which were identical except -1 grade). Now your toe alignment on the front, that's another matter, have you checked that yet since reassembling your suspension? :P

Sorry, another off topic aside. I'll try and keep the banter in your other thread.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Thread Information