Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Tores JZA61

8K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  racerxj220 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, i'v buildt some rollas and finally bought a ae86 to fully restore, had to use my Rally ke20 as a daily and all of a sudden i got a trade offer, someone wanted swap my rally ke20 for a ma61 with a 2jz, the rallycar is too close to my heart to get rid off so i offred one of my other rollas, he sqid yes and we swapped
Here is my new ride

Here is the rolla i swapped it for, just needs rims to be perfect

Anyways more pics of the ma61
It has s13 coilovers in the front

Horrible offset, had 40mm spacers in the front, put them in the back now, much better

Then there is the rust, i have a welder and the skills to fix it, just need some time :)

Also thinking of getting some stock flares and run my watanabes
Sorry for filthy car

The 2jzge, looks dirty but thats good, need to pass inspection and look stock ? will clean it up after inspection

Solid interior

I love this car, and my beloved rally ke20 in the background

Ill hopefully get started with the rust welding soon, will tuch up the paint aswell as fixing some dodgy wiring :)
Its my daily driver so progress will not be too fast :)

Sent fra min F3311 via Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I am liking the modded fenders on the front of that L-type, looks good!

Like suprafiend said, fix the rust; I assure you he is right about it, I have an 83 car with lots of rust and I tried numerous ways to deal with it. When I got my 86, I went full resto on it, and frankly its the best way.

#6 ·
LOL

I'm not even going to respond to that statement lol

Rallyrolla. I hear you, the difference is do you want to fix that rust for good or do you want to just not see it for a couple years? To actually fix the rust in the areas you've shown, including what you're not seeing on the underside, you need to drop the gas tank, remove the rear bumper and you'd be wise to strip the entire entire at least from the rear seats back. If you actually want to get all of the rust on the underside, you will have to drop the rear subframe at some point too. All of that leads up to the car being off the road for more then a few days is my point. Once you start digging, you're going to find the rust is even deeper into the rear wheel wells then what you're seeing on the outside of the car. If all you care about is aesthetics for a couple years, there's plenty of shortcuts that you can take. But they will all come back to haunt you or the next owner at somepoint. Sooner then later if you drive it in snow and salt.

If you're brave enough to get a glimpse at what you're going to find once you start stripping down the underside of your car, have a look at the restoration I performed on this LType which has a very similar amount of rust exposed as yours

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...rk-amp-Slow-Build&highlight=ltype+restoration

everything I did in there, oh it was so easy LOL

#5 ·
Haha gotta love the internet, no im not taking it off the road for a season, its my daily, yes ill fix the rust without taking it off the road formore than a coupple of days in a row :)
Not my first rusty yota i'v saved...

Flippies dont work, never worked since the previus owner 2j swapped it, any ideas where to start fixing it, he just winded them up by hand and left them there, also thinking of making a blinking function, so i can make one close itself then reopen rigth after to make it kinda blink... Im clueless rigth now, dunt know shit about flippies

#7 ·
Holy shit, your not skipping anything on your build, i'd like to do mine as nice but i wont have the time, i got too many other projects on going, but no, ill do it on a coupple of days, no problem :)
Im just adding some rust welding pics from one of my ke20s

Im doing a reeally deep restoration on my ae86 so cant afford and i dont have timeto do the same to the supra, but ill make it good, just not 100% prrfect and orginal :)

Also done a restoration on my rallycar, so i know how much time it takes and how to do it, dont worry :)

I also got some spare parts for the supra
6kg flywheel, sotck is 14.5

Act clutch, arp bolts and propper professional engine mounts

Ohh and ill just drop a pic of my parts ma61

#9 · (Edited)
I had the car on the lift, not much rust underneath, just on the sides, sills are good ish
Photos

Did a cleanup of the enginebay
Wiring was a mess and alot of stuff i didnt need for the 2jz

Just had to paint the valvecovers and polish the intake.. Just look at it

After

Then i clean up arround in the bay, looks better

No more snowy roads, found out my lsd is healthy

And just another shot

#10 ·
Cool, a 2jzge is a nice swap to have. Lots of options with those engines to pep them up a bit, I personally like the Throttle body route myself but Cheap turbo options are too good to ignore really.

You look like you got your hands full with the AE86 so i don't blame you about putting off fixing the rust. Leaving it bare could speed up the corrosion though so maybe give the bad areas a good drowning in Dinitrol RC900 to neutralise it, then good thick coats of zinc and clear waxoyl over the top. In fact, Waxoyl and dinitrol bloody everywhere cant hurt really.

#11 ·
Yeah that looks better.

The rockers, except for the dog leg by the rear wheel, aren't problematic on these cars. The rust is all in the wheel wells, the lower sections of the quaters on both inside and out, and there's always some hiding under the suspension and gastank.

#12 ·
Yep, ae86 is getting my full attention rigth now, going for a conplete restoration, sandblasing everything and even painting the underside :)
Got a lot of turbo parts and other parts with the supra so i dunno what to do with it yet, itbs are expencive.. I put a set in my rallycar :)

Way ahead of you, had some rust on the hatch... Just had to grind it down and put on zink spray, did it on severla places

#13 ·
Cool, that might last a year. The hatches rust because the inside of the exterior skin has flaws in the inner panel coatings. A lot of fish eye, grease spots and the paint never took. And then there is no seam sealer inside where the inner liner mates with the outer skin. The rust gets in there and rusts out that bottom lip from the inside first. You grind down what you see on the outside, it comes back right away. Fixing the hatch rust properly is a PITA. Get a carbon one if you can afford it. Otherwise to make it last you actually have to completely remove the inner liner panel from the outer skin to expose all of the rust.

Zink spray won't do anything.

#14 ·
The 2jz decided to spin a rodbearing so took it out and sending the crank for a regrind
Time to fix rust

Started yesterday, alot of work but Its getting better for each plate i weld in :)
I know om not a expert, im 20 years and im self taught :)
Alot left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Just love my wats
Soon getting my p type flares, cant wait!

#16 ·
More rustwelding

Had to drop the tank and exhaust, lets just say Its big haha

#17 ·
Nice to see yet another 2J swapped car.

I need to do something about the rust on mine, but that will have to wait until much later.

Looking good!

#18 ·
Thanks!
Just got hold of a new adaprtonic management , with harness and a 2jz ge exhaust flange.. now i just need gte pistons,bigger injectors and a turbo!

My goal is 400 rwhp !:D

#20 ·
Alot of work and money tho, Its fun but it sure aint free!

Nissan patrol manifold, need to cut the flange off and the spacing of the runners is wrong

2jz GE flange, some cutting and welding needed

Unaure if i want to keep the dizzy or go with cop and gte oilpump for crank sensor..

And i possibly got hold of a turbo, holset he35, Nissan S13 turbo to the rigth haha, cute

#22 ·
Because i'm 20, got a welder and no job, im broke and using what i got to make it work :)
I got 4 project cars, i cant go buy new parts if i can make them myself for free :)

#23 ·
#24 ·
Got hold of a Holset he35 turbo

Supra mk4 w58, stronger input Axle

And new rims for my daily SSR MKII

#26 ·
Thanks!

Testing how much space i have for the turbo/manifold in the engine bay

Testing my rims for the ae86 rims and flares

#27 ·
Rolled it out of the shop to take a look

#28 ·
Got my manifold

Trading my ic for a smaller one, Dont want to chop the car in half to fit this one

Gte rods, also bougth gte pistons, oil pump and trigget wheel, picking up the rest at gatebil [emoji106]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.