Diff transplant

Thread: Diff transplant

CelicaSupra.com Member

Diff transplant

I'm sure most of you have seen the diff swap the Super Subs guy posted on the forums. I have contacted him asking if he would share his CAD files with me but he won't even respond. The older 8.8 Mustang irs differentials are a pretty hot item which seems to have driven the price up.

I have been looking at possibly using the newer Mustang diff from the 2015 - 2017 models. They look like they might be easier to mount and run about $250 to $400 less than the 2000 models. The newer diffs should be just as strong since the hp has increased over the past 15 years plus they would be quieter and smoother. I am just wondering if anyone on the forums has thought about or tried doing something like this. If someone here has come up with a reason why this couldn't or shouldn't be done, please let me know.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I've looked at those as well, but they are pretty pricey especially for one with IRS. I haven't had any problem with the factory diff in my car so it hasn't been that much of a priority. Ford 8.8 IRS diffs come in lots of older Ford like T-birds and various Lincoln models. No need to buy one from a Terminator Cobra.

I don't believe he gets on the forums much at all anymore. He is very active on instagram you may contact him there its 3d_magic_mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I have to disagree on the pricing. I can find 2015 - 2017 complete rear suspensions for $750 on Ebay. The older diffs run anywhere from $1K to $1200 and there's no telling what they've been through. I am putting around 400 rwhp and tq to the ground which started my last two diffs to roar so badly that I was embarrassed to drive through my neighborhood.

My turbo has to potential to go to 500 rwhp which I hope to reach eventually. I just received an email this morning with a pic of a half shaft twisted in half by a 500 rwhp Supra.

You can buy entire old Fords T-birds and Lincolns for less than that. There are ton's of these things out there in junkyards. The 8.8 IRS diffs are probably at least a 30 yrd old design now. Personally I think Z32 Turbo diffs are a better option. Closer to stock gearing and factory IRS plus the suspension is "close".

If your diffs are howling you're not rebuilding them right. I make a lot more than that and mine is perfectly quiet.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    The first one was stock and started roaring after 200K miles. The second one was rebuilt by someone on the forums that is known as the expert as far as rebuilding these diffs. It whined when I got it and then whined and roared within a year. I doubt he would have paid the total $130 for shipping and return plus fix it so I didn't make an effort.

The old Lincolns are not LSD's so I would have to buy just about every internal part (including the LSD) to make it what I want.

I am considering both options. I can buy a new ring and pinion set plus all new bearings and seals which will cost me around $900 plus $200 to install. I can buy an entire 2015 - 2016 rear suspension for $750, but the modification cost will be fairly expensive. If I break the OEM diff then it will probably cost another $1100 to fix. If I break a new Mustang diff it will cost around $300 to fix.

What is a Z32 turbo diff?

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    300zx.

Honestly, diff swaps are not the way to go about it. Mike has crazy resources available to him and he seems to be able to find large amounts of time for his rather ambitious projects. His approach worked sure, but its not a very good choice for most people. He could have adapted an entire rear irs from another car with half the effort or less, and then not be stuck with antiquated trailing arms. But seriously, your power levels and goals are not beyond the limits of the stock diff, you've just had some bad luck. Sometimes it takes a couple shots at setting up a diff to get it to be quiet. What you have isn't necessarily shot now either, it may just need to be re-shimed.
    Last edited by SupraFiend; 03-01-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I can confirm the durability of the 7.5 toyota 3rd member. Please remember its not horsepower figures that break parts, its torque that breaks parts.

I have 2 cars with them both over 300k on the clock and both are silent.

1 have 2 toyota hilux pickips, one with 230k and one with 310k and both are silent. The truck with 310k is worked hard, and sees daily abuse pulling far more than it was ever intended.

My brother built a hilux long bed with a 5.0HO out of a 95 mustang, and V8 torque did not break it.

If youre upgrading your 3rd member "just because", then have a ball, but if you're upgrading because you think the toyota 7.5 is weak, then I feel you arewasting money.

The only thing that would break these 3rd members is the kind of traction you get from big tires on a 4x4 or drag radial tires & wrinkle walls with LOTS of applied torque.

Im sure if you have a 2j or domestic V8 set up right, you could break it with a set of drag radials or wrinkle walls, but most folks dont daily that kinda rubber.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I have decided to go back with the stock diff and take my chances. I'm not too concerned with breaking it. I'm mainly concerned that the load of coming off the line with drag radials could cause it to whine or roar. I've been unemployed for a while so it's best that I go with the cheapest route anyway.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thread Information