5MGE No Spark

Thread: 5MGE No Spark

CelicaSupra.com Member

5MGE No Spark

Hey guys, so I just finished the W58 swap into my '85 Cressida Wagon on the weekend and was excited to drive it to work for the first time today. It did great, even drove it around at lunch. After work I went to start it and it was starting to catch (it's alway hard to start) and then it stopped catching. I had some quick start with me which usually gets it going and there is absolutely no firing going on. I checked fuses, and fusable links under the hood and all were good. I checked the fuses by the drivers kick panel and all seemed good except one top most only horozontal one which I'm not sure if it's just a spare or not. But the IG and EFI-IG fuses were good. I had my co-worker hold the wire going to the distributor close to the intake manifold to look for spark but there was nothing. My coworker gave me a ride home.

So I'm thinking it's the ignitor or a relay in the engine bay fuse box. I'm going to dig around in my stash to see if I have a spare ignitor and take my grab bag of relays back with me tonight to see if I can get it going. Anything else you think I should take? I don't think it's any grounds because it just stopped working all of a sudden.
    1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1985 Cressida Wagon - 5MGE
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1100
    1995 GMC Jimmy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Buy or bring a voltage tester. Test for current to the relay. Double check ground wires related to the ignitor. Dist. coils could be one of many causes. The online Toyota manual is your friend. Check out the FAQ on this site. I would not check for spark so close to the TB. You can try pulling a plug to check spark and see if you're getting fuel.
    Also, pull the timing cover to check if the timing belt broke. Then, check timing in case the belt slipped.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I was testing the fuses with the multimeter. I've got a printed repair manual specific to this 85 Cressida so I'll take that along. I had a scan through the FAQ but didn't see anything too relatable but I'll have another look.

What's the issue with checking for spark near the TB?

Good idea on checking the timing belt. Thanks.

I managed to find a spare ignitor/coil and resistor so I at least have somewhere easy to start.
    1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1100
    1995 GMC Jimmy

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

TB or throttle body is a bit too close to the fuel lines if you ask me.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

You getting spark out of the coil? pull the distributor cap off and check rotor. Rarity, but the rotor has been known to physically break.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1990
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '85 black Mark2 2jzge 5sp 2015
    '86 SDR Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cheappower82 Hidden Content
    Guess you have the magic touch; touch mine please?!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    No, there was no spark from the coil.
    1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1100
    1995 GMC Jimmy

CelicaSupra.com Member
    The timing belt is fine. It looks like the spare ignitor/coil has different connectors and even bolts on differently even though the part number on top is the same. That's all I had time for at the moment, I'll check voltages after work.
    1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1100
    1995 GMC Jimmy

CelicaSupra.com Member
    It was the igniter after all. I tested the coil as per the manual's instructions and it all checked out. Unfortunately the spare ignitor I had was from a Supra so the wiring and mounting plate was different. So I took the ignitor/coil assy from my Cressida and the spare Supra one I had back into my office and hacked at them until I had a frankenstien monster. The Cressida's just has one plug for four wires and another plug for the black wire that has the rubber cap. The Supra's has four plugs coming off of it. They are the same internally with the same coloured wires so it wasn't hard to match up everything. I had to do the twist and electrical tape method as I didn't have any soldering equipment at work. Then I just swaped the base mounting plate over and it worked!

View from bottom:
    Cressida on the left, Supra on the right.
    1981 Celica Supra - 5ME
    1981 Celica Supra - 5MTE
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1100
    1995 GMC Jimmy

bravo!!!

Thread Information