Head Lights for My 83 Supra

Head Lights for My 83 Supra

I have a 1983 Supra. My headlights work but no longer go up and down. I am not a mechanic and I am not sure what to look for on this problem. What would be typically the problem and how can I fix it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

sounds like headlight motors have gone bad. for a temparary fix there is a way to raise and lower your headlights manually. pop your hood and look beside each headlight. you should see a rubber cap, take it off, you will then see a red knob. this knob will raise and lower your headlights. i hope i was able to help. you should be able to get your local parts store to order the headlight motors.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRolsen View Post
    I have a 1983 Supra. My headlights work but no longer go up and down. I am not a mechanic and I am not sure what to look for on this problem. What would be typically the problem and how can I fix it?
    Check your fuse box for any blown fuses . I once had a problem when my headlights would only pop up when the drivers side door had to be open prior to starting the car. The problem was caused by a blown hazard fuse.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

The most common problem is the fusible link that comes from the battery. Headlight motors rarely fail and not both at the same time.
    I have used fusible links for sale . From the pos. terminal , you see a wire going to a white connector . This connector has a pink or brown wire looped into it. The wire from the battery ( about 4 ") to this connector is , itself , a fuse. Open the connector and check for power. Replace this batt. side of the connector including the fusible link if not getting power. If you're getting power through this, then check for power to the headlight retractor relay on the pass. side of the engine bay, with headlight switch on. If power is going to the retractor but not through it, then buy a used retractor relay. I have both: relays and fusible links.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

John, same problem on my '85. Thank you for posting up! I searched the forum and found that I needed to check multiple fuses and the fusible link issue.
    Supkar, I have the same issue with my '85 and have replaced the retractor relay (twice) and the links are still intact as well as my headlight fuses. Headlights and fog lights turn on, but the motors aren't getting power.

Quote Originally Posted by katodragon View Post
    Check your fuse box for any blown fuses . I once had a problem when my headlights would only pop up when the drivers side door had to be open prior to starting the car. The problem was caused by a blown hazard fuse.
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=E&P=16
    The retract relay get power from the HAZ/HORN fuse???
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

You have GOT to be kidding. That's got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen LOL. My horn is disconnected due to it going off when I unlock the door. I'll check that fuse though...

OFF TOPIC:
    Your cruise control will not work if your brake fluid is low. WTF!
    The TSRM does not show that!!!!
    I had to use a different book to find out.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Dave, you need sleep LOL

Thread Information