Is it Good To Buy Old Cars ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Y'all are going all out on responses for this dude, he has made 2 posts. Could be a spammer, just saying. :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    It's a good question and a good discussion. Don't snipe the thread!

I agree!^^^^^^^
    Excellent question.
    The other question is Is this guy legit?
    Gamble threw that out here.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

To me its just an interesting and timely topic. I've been sort of weighing my own options as my Jaguar, which was a rock during its first 16 years, finally scared me on my way to a business meeting in December where I was to be the featured presenter and then was down for two whole weeks waiting on an alternator. I decided it was finally time to upgrade and some of y'all had even recommended ten year old cars to replace it. On the other hand, I could write a check for just about any car I want. Jacob on my left shoulder is telling me to buy a brand new Jaguar and enjoy all the latest gadgets while I'm still alive but the voice of Ebenezer sitting on my right shoulder says just buy an older, used Acura and hold on to your money. Which one will I listen to? I don't know, but it may take till next Christmas to decide.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

LS swap the Jaguar

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    LS swap the Jaguar
    It was popular to swap older Jaguars, but it really never solved the issues. Pre-Ford era Jaguar engines were pretty well bulletproof, but the electronics did them in. You could swap in a Chevy and it was only slightly more reliable, the rest of car was still Lucas and Marelli. The engine would run, but the lights and wipers and such were still flaky. Luckily Ford put mostly Denso electronics in my version.

But gearhead thoughts like that pop into my head all the time. Actually seriously considered for under $10,000 I could purchase another low-mileage XJR, the last year model, three years newer, and just swap my comfort suspension under it (Jaguar sold about 750 so equipped from the factory and called them the Super V8 edition, but those now are unicorns). But what's starting to come unraveled about my 17 year old Jaguar is everything made of plastic, rubber or vinyl is succumbing to age and heat and sun exposure. Buying another aged car that's just better preserved is really only buying a couple of years before it too would succumb.

Plus I'd like to have some new gadgetry. Where I park at work, I really want a backup camera. I thought about installing one, but there's really no way to modify the dash without messing it up. Yea, when you start to think about trying to upgrade your old car to modern standards, it just starts being less and less feasible the more you consider.

And I figure if a really cool car has survived that well to 15 years old, it should probably stay in a collectors collection at that point rather than me parking it out in the Texas sun for 9 hours a day while I'm at work. Like I said before, if its an old Accord, go ahead and beat on it because A) parts are still readily available and B) nobody cares, its never going to be a valuable collector car anyway. But it would be hard to do that to a pristine old Jaguar or mk2 Supra.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thankfully (sorta) my MK2 isn't pristine...just good enough to keep alive and just far gone enough to be able to forget the myth of returning it to factory original.

What mutant said!

Mine is right on the edge. Too nice to really hack up, but by no means pristine.

It's a California "High Desert" car which means it's rust free, but has some sun damage to the paint, front bumper, and interior.

As far as the original poster, what, precisely, "old car" are you looking for? If you want a Celica Supra MKII then you sure came to the right place!

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

The originator of this post has not chimed in,yet.
    Maybe he/she is just a lurker. That's OK,we are having some fun with the question,here.
    I will NEVER buy a new car,not in my life time. Well,I can fix anything and I have done so.
    The classic cars have a LOT going for them.REAL sheet metal,REAL style.REAL value.
    That's why this forum is here and so many more. We fix 'em and keep them running to our great satisfaction. I'm keeping my Supra ALIVE and running well enough for me.
    The Spirit of Supra will just not die,from my way of thinking. Hell,it will out last this tired and old body!
    New cars, totally, are a bad financial investment. Yeah,you could be the coolest kid on the block with your 2017 "whatever",but I get more thumbs up that my buddies 2017 Mustang GT. So there.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Banned
    Yes this is a good and positive thing. Thanks

Thread Information