Ford 9" Conversion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ford 9" Conversion?

Hey everyone!

I'm new here and I just recently came across a 84 Celica Supra and I am wanting to build it up as a race car. I'm wanting to be in the x275 drag radials class at the track. I am wondering if anybody has done a 9" conversion and are willing to share some information. This car is kinda a budget car because I am still in college. Any information would be helpful!

Thanks,
    Steven Long

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

The 8.8" Ford would be fine for you. The stock diff will tolerate 400 HP,depending on your transmission type.
    Build the engine and see what breaks first.
    You are going to have some fun with your build!
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thank you sir! I plan on putting a ls series engine in it with a monster turbo. I received the car in a million pieces and the engine spun a bearing so I am ditching it. I was thinking of basically making an entire frame for the body of the car to sit on and do it that way, but I was wondering what other people have done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Like I said,you are gonna have some fun with your build.
    It may look weird with a MK II body on a Pontiac Tempest frame or a Camaro.

You have REALLY big plans! 4 year project. You need a few buddies to help with R&D.
    Got a good welder?4 car garage?A wrecking yard next door?

My family actually owns a body shop. I got kinda lucky in that aspect! Also, because of the business I know quite a few people that would be willing to help with parts. I used to be an I-Car certified welder as well. This car is next on the build list! I have to finish my dad's Trans Am and get my friends RX7 on the road. But for now, I am going to be trying to get the suspension built and stop the rust from eating the rest of the car. I gotta replace the quarters but that won't be a huge deal. It should be extremely fun and a very expensive science experiment! I am hoping, fingers crossed, that I will be in the 4's after the suspension gets lined out.

You may have to build a tube frame from scratch.The uni body just won't take 1,000+ horsepower.
    IRS rear end or leaf springs?Coil springs? You have some big plans,college dude!

That is what I was afraid of but kinda expected it! I was thinking of doing a full 4-link with coilovers and a solid rear end. Should prove to be difficult but I am always up for a challenge! My guess is that the suspension will be the hard part, everything else shouldn't be horrid. I enjoy this kind of stuff though, mainly because it goes along with my major, physics!

Im doing a 302 swap so i see where you are with wanting to swap the diff. id recommend swapping the whole rear end out. 1) we cant find hardly any aftermarket gears for our diffs, they blow pretty easy under high power. 9'' diff is definately the way to go. if you swap the whole rear you wont be stuck with limited brake options and the clumsy 4x114.3 wheels. And suspension is only difficult if you make it difficult. keep us updated on what you do, i love american v8 swapped mk2's!!!!

i'm getting ready to do a 9" independent swap, perhaps we can share some of the costs. I was going to post something to see if anyone else is interested as an alternative would be to make drawings of everything and be able to produce / reproduce it, but I didn't think many would be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just cannot wrap my head around the possible IRS set ups that you plan to use!
    What Ford comes with a 9" posi that is IRS?
    I was thinking about the Thunderbird,but that is an 8.8". Right?
    Expedition?
    GM: Cadillac Escalade?

I just don't go to wrecking yard enough to guess what you plan to use.
    Widths,disk brakes,type of parking brakes,the way that the springs/struts mount.
    Do you have to go with the IRS type?
    I used a 9" posi assembly in a '61 Ford Falcon with a 5 L. in line 6. Leaf springs!
    I had to relocate the housing on the spring hangers,but it went in with minimal welding,track bar.
    Shit,I was 19.
    '37 Plymouth beam axle. Fun build.Blew it up twice.No pix.Miller 225 welder,that I still have.
    Learned to arc weld in high school.

Thread Information