85 door lock issues

85 door lock issues

I wanted to make this post before I committed to buying anything from eBay... after searching the forums a bit, I THINK I need a new door control relay, but just to be sure.

-car had jacked up handles, PL inop
    -bought NEW (used) handles, came with new wire for PL
    -new handle/wire installed, PL still inop

The weird part though. Hitting the lock button 5 times makes the driver's side lock. I can then open the car from the inside, it is locked outside. If I manually move the switch on the passenger side, I can unlock it, but I have to jam on the button 5x again to make the passenger lock engage, I can see it move slowly. The manual switch on the driver's side hangs limp, it just swings back and forth doing nothing, I can tell the passenger side is at least engaging something.

Actuators seem to work, I can see them move. Power windows, sunroof, mirrors all good. What should my next step be? Before/after checking around with multimeter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Subbed. Similar issue with my driver's door. Mine auto relock or don't fully disengage and the driver's manual switch is floppy.

I'd check the switch on the latch first IMO. Its a common failure point and easy to check. Its the two wire connector with the divider in the middle on the white plastic piece with 3 snap fits. With the key in the lock position you should have continuity across the two pins. Usually the wire breaks off flush outside of the switch. If the locks have a mind of your own the control relay is probably suspect.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Update: driving home today: I unlocked the car like normal, but after my drive, I couldn't get out. Driver's side door had locked and wouldn't open from the inside like normal. Climbed out the passenger side door and tried my key, you have to really finegle it to get it to unlock.

One weird bit: pulling the handle up turns the lights on, and all the way up turns them off. Wonder why?

I'll have to look into a relay, switch and latch, and probably some actuators. I'll check it out this sunday, when it's warmer.

Maybe you do not have access to this:
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...ection=BE&P=67
    The logic paths are Drawn out,but still bailed me out of a few diagnostic roadblocks.
    I have different/new computer and I'm still loading my quick launches.
    That Quick launch site is for YOU.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    There could be lots of little issues adding together here. I've had my 85p since new and have had trouble with the locks a couple of times. I replaced the passenger side actuator a couple of years ago as a bad switch ended up being the cause of the locks intermittently unlocking themselves repeatedly. Sometimes, after about 5 or so tries, some residual magnetism builds up and things will appear to be partially working. Don't be fooled.
    The switch on the actuators essentially tells the alarm that the door is NOT Not locked as the logic works. This can typically be caused by the door control relay. But this also typically causes intermittent and unexpected locks. I've had that problem too and a little cleanup and resoldering inside the door control relay took care of it. That's why I keep a spare key in my wallet.
    However, the main cause of my particular problems both times was corroded wiring pins in the kick panels where the doors harnesses plug into the body harness. The first time many years ago was due to water leaking down into the drivers kick panel due to a crappy windshield installation and water corroding the crap out of lots of connectors in this very fun to get at area! DeOxIt is your friend here.
    I've also had one wire break in the drivers door harness where it constantly flexes. I can't imagine how many times the doors have been opened and shut without any more problems than this over the years.
    The corrosion on the passenger side was probably due to nothing more than time.
    Then there's the drivers side key unlock switch that needs the wires resoldered every few years to keep the alarm happy.
    So it's indeed multimeter time to check for good connections and good grounds everywhere. Hope this helps.

Thread Information