Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Steering issue '86 Euro Spec MKII

803 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SupraFiend 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

When turning right I hit some resistance in the steering system when the wheel input reaches around 45 degrees.
It's like the car hits a groove in the road kind of feeling. There's no similar resistance when turning left.

Weirdly, I had the exact same issue on a previous Celica Supra. Same model year, same spec. But that one was missing a link strut bar on the right side (at least I think that's what it's called in English).
I never got around to fixing it before selling, so I never found out if it was the guilty party or not.
This one does however have all suspension components in place, and in good condition too. So what gives?
I'm thinking perhaps a servo issue. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Does it continue to turn for a bit after that feeling? The max turning range is controlled by stopper bolts on your steering arms. They can easily be adjusted differently side to side, and there's enough deflection in the system that you could be just feeling one side connecting earlier then the other. But if this were the case, the wheel would stop turning very quickly after getting this feeling.

If its not that, its likely wear in the steering rack or in your ball joints. Old balljoints tend to get really stiff in the areas of their range of movement that aren't experienced frequently. They'll wear in the areas where they are used most, then will be much harder to move once they get out of those areas.

Thats probably what it is, but you could technically have some teeth on the long gear in your rack that are worn differently too.

#4 ·
If you disconnect the steering arm from the strut assembly, and rotate the balljoint by end throughout its extents, you can tell what kind of shape they are in. No point in replacing them if they've been done already and are still good.

I would search for recent threads on replacing the balljoints. There are part supply problems with getting ones that fit tight, I don't recall off the top of my head which ones are the way to go these days. There was a thread about this in the last couple years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.