Mk1 Supra in Australia

Mk1 Supra in Australia

So I've recently bought my first car, a 1980 RA40 Celica, and I couldn't be happier with it. However, one of my dream cars is a Mk1 Supra, and I plan to get one once I finish school and start working full-time. So I have a couple of questions:
    1. Can I even get a Mk1 in Australia? As far as I know they were never sold here, so I'd have to import one from Japan, and I don't know if that could be done legally.
    2. How does the Mk1 drive in comparison to an RA40? For how much I'd pay (probably $10,000+ for a decent Supra, not including import charges) is it worth it?
    Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Danny S

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

#1: Can you find replacement parts there?
    #2: There are already RHD MK II's there already=parts are available already.
    #3: Why not have it shipped from the States?California,maybe.
    #4: What countries imported them?(RHD).
    #5: The 5m/7m would be not that bad to swap in for a little more power.
    BTW,I think that the MK I really IS a beautiful car!!!!!
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Hey, thanks for replying!
    1. I've rarely seen parts for the Mk1 for sale here, but I think a lot of RA40 parts are interchangeable, as the cars were built on the same platform.
    2. I've seen Mk2s around before, but never a Mk1. I don't think they share a lot in common. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    3. The RHD drive conversion could take a bit of messing around. But the interior between RA40s and MA4#s are (I believe) basically the same, so I could get a RHD Celica dash from the wreckers
    4. I think Japan was the only country to have a RHD version, though it was sold as the Celica XX there.
    5. I have done a bit of research on that, and I'd likely swap in a 5MGE if I got one - keep it N/A, carby, and not go crazy with power
    And I totally agree, the Mk1 is such a good-looking car.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Danny S, contact Vinny at Sea Doo of Brisbane for info on Aussie Mk I Supras.
    Greg // Lexington Park, MD
    Multi-Generational Supra Syndrome afflicted owner in BLACK, RED, WHITE and BLUE
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that.

-Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Shipping it to the land of down under

I got one for you. Just bought it & is in beautiful condition. 141k, everything works except for cruise control, will fix soon though. White with bottom black trim, golden stripes by waistline. Tan leather interior, automatic trans, cold A/C. I like to keep it but trying to escalate all the way to 80's Porsche 911 turbo. Gotta learn how to post pictures so you can see it.

Thread Information