Texas Safety Inspections News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Texas Safety Inspections News

I don't know if I like this or not. As much as I've railed against emissions inspections over the years, safety is different. I love you guys like brothers, but my God, I've seen some questionable old Supras. And y'all are all automotive enthusiasts, at least trying, even if some of you are young and inexperienced. What about all the yahoos out there who haven't a clue and don't give a shit? Seems to me its a good thing that somebody checks to see that at least the brakes work properly. Get rid of emissions inspections, that's fine. NOX from a few remaining old cars isn't going to kill me (least not right away), but bad brakes or a bald tire very well could. But I guess if you're considering an engine swap, stay tuned to see how this comes out and maybe relocate to Texas.

Could Texas car safety inspections be coming to an end soon?
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'm all for getting rid of it on a few conditions. No safety inspection lets a lot of clunkers stay on the road, but we need to be able to get them off the road when they are a problem.

I want it to be like states where if there is a broken down unattended car on the side of the road that POS is towed in less than 24 hours.

I want police to pull people over when their shit looks unsafe/obviously illegal. Rust holes, bald tires, LED fogs and HID conversion lights that blind me, rolling coal, etc. They could give you a fix it ticket and require it to be inspected and give proof to the court kiosk before your car is legal again.

Having a thorough inspection when titles are transferred could weed out people even selling clunkers, and having a more thorough inspection every 5 years could work well too.

On the flip side if you need emissions inspection every year anyway, what's the harm in checking for tread depth and a few other basics to the tune of 11 bucks or whatever it costs right now...

"Rolling Coal"??
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Interesting, here in the peoples republic of Washington we have emisdions checks, but there is no safety inspections. Natually if a car does not meet WSDOT code you can get stopped, ticketed, and then inspected to prove repairs. If things are real sketchy, they may even reqire you have it towed.

Rolling coal; a descriptive way to describe a diesel pickupwith the injection system turned up to the point that its no longer burning properly. Guys with diesels are under their mild tune trucks are fastonly because once upon a time cummins 12 valve engines gave you the kind of acceleration that could be had from a stock non emmisions small block.

Gasoline is faster, its just the mid 70's, 80's and 90's that gave it a bad rap.

Thankfully that is one thing they don't do in CA...

I kinda thought it meant something like that.

The last time I was in Colorado I saw a couple of diesel pick up trucks that were "tuned" that way.

Wide open throttle looked worse than the old city buses I grew up around!
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

An interesting thought on the diesels "rolling coal."

In theory, a higher compression ratio produces more power given that your other effective parameters are tuned properly. By adding non-combustibles to the fuel-air mixture you effectively increase the compression ratio by adding material that cannot be burned. The unburnt fuel in this case is being used to displace more air to increase the CR, therefore increasing theoretical power. The engine burns as much fuel as it possibly can considering the air (oxygen) provided and the rest comes out as unburnt fuel (black smoke; "coal").

I can really get into fueling theory as far as octane/cetane go, but I'm in the middle of an alignment class now. Will share more if there is any interest.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

'83 MKII, To be 7M-GTE powered
    '84 AE86, FD spec drift project; '86 AE86, Toy car, lots of mods!
    '88 SV25, AWD 5spd Camry Grocery Getter

Nailed it on the diesel Mike, there is a secondary benifit to over fuling; it puts un burned fuel into the exhaust manifold that continues to burn running up the turbo providing more boost that interestinly in the case of diesel engines helps to cool the motor to a pount. Natually intercooling aids in both power and EGT. High EGT = more power, but too much = molten pistons.

Buuut, outside of hauling materials and pulling trailers, and economy cars deisels are a waste of money.

Reasons are as follows.

Opperating costs are higher because of:
    higher oil capacity
    Higher average fuel cost proportionate to the fuel consumption savings
    Expensive service maintainance costs of injection systems
    Exhaust system additives for modern diesels
    Expensive and heavy drive train components designed to take the chattery piston pulses of low RPM torque. In turn expensive replacement cost thanks to chowdery shockloads provided by the kind of engine suitable only for pulling freight.

Yes I am bias, but the harsh truth is deisels are slow, and their only merit is fuel consumption savings.

I know some one will chime in eventually with power figures, but I assure you dollar per dollar EVEN I can get more out of the same displacement in gasoline. Furthermore the gasoline equal that produces more power will cost less total, last longer and weigh less.

Khlause, thanks for the expansion! Forgot some and learned some, love theory. I really would like to have a diesel truck for pulling as I move a lot of cars, but all these kids with daddy's money have jacked up the prices so much that people like me don't want to buy them because they're so expensive now. One kid I used to work closely with is in a diesel performance shop and I've gotta say, the torque that they squeeze out of these trucks is just mind blowing. His personal truck is near 1100 hp, but creeping up on 2000 lb/ft.

Nasty.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

'83 MKII, To be 7M-GTE powered
    '84 AE86, FD spec drift project; '86 AE86, Toy car, lots of mods!
    '88 SV25, AWD 5spd Camry Grocery Getter

Thread Information