82-86 doors

Thread: 82-86 doors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

82-86 doors

I tried hard to find the answer, but I've found some conflicting answers on cs.com and other places on the net, so:

I understand 82-86 celica supra were more or less the same throughout those years, then in 86.5 the mk3 hit... my question is, I'm looking at a parts car in the year of 86, and it LOOKS like an mk2, but owner says it is mk3, can I rob the mk3 doors?

What I only semi-understand is, from 85 to 86, the mk3 wasn't ready to be shipped out, hence the half-year release, so this 86 parts car could possibly donate her doors to an 84 mk2 celica supra, right?

From reading the manual, it seems that the doors didn't start to "look" different until 1987, but I figure I'd better confer with the experts before buying and hauling a parts car

If it's an 86 mk3 it just won't work. Totally different car body.

Duane
    85 Supra Black 5spd 5MGE w/Black Leather
    85 Supra Red (parts car)
    96 Lexus GS300 - Silver w/Black Leather 2JZ
    88 Celica GTS Black - Sold
    80 Celica GT Black - Sold

Dang. That's what I was thinking, the half year for the mk3 had both me and the seller confused.

There's another prime parts car in philly, but the seller either lacks the english skills or the manners to conduct a sale...oh well, such is life trying to restore a 33 year old car.

How would the doors on an 83 celica supra transfer over to an 84? Pretty much an even fit, correct?
    Last edited by Utlanning; 03-17-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: additional question

I used to own one of these half model year cars. yes the doors will transfer over if it is a true mk2 car. With the 83 to 84 transfer it is direct, youll have to change out the external door handle as 82-83 would be different, and 84-86 are different.

Keep an eye out for Celicas 82-85 since the basic sheetmetal is the same.

I think one issue is swapping the door handles. I can't remember but I think 82/83 side pull handles fit in the 84/85 doors with some rods,ect. also swapped. But I think I've read that the later handles do not work on the 82/83 doors.
    The 86.5 is an MKIII, so don't even try.
    If you can buy 83 doors with handles---go for it. The side pull style are my favorite. Kind of euro style. Try to deal with the guy if Philly. He may be difficult but when you start flashing cash, it's amazing how manners improve.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

VIN, model data plate or a picture would help!!!
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily runner, RIP...)
    2002 E39 ///M5 LMB, Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    VIN, model data plate or a picture would help!!!
    I got the VIN and ran it on the car I was looking at... no dice, it was an 86 model, but the latter half, a true mk3.

However I did learn from this thread that you can swap in celica (non supra) doors...so my options have expanded a bit

That's what Silver MKII just told you. Celica doors will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utlanning View Post
    I got the VIN and ran it on the car I was looking at... no dice, it was an 86 model, but the latter half, a true mk3.

However I did learn from this thread that you can swap in celica (non supra) doors...so my options have expanded a bit
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by supkar View Post
    That's what Silver MKII just told you. Celica doors will work.
    Haha yes, I meant this thread I'm in now, as in I just learned that from reading his post... incidentally, there's a few viable celica candidates near me, but too nice to rob doors from.

An ideal parts car should be not running, I'd feel too bad taking parts from a nice, running car.

Thread Information