Toyota Supra Spied Up Close Revealing More Details

Toyota Supra Spied Up Close Revealing More Details

Spy photographers have managed to get up close and personal with the new Toyota Supra.

Unfortunately the Supra is still wearing plenty of camouflage, but this time we get detailed photos of the tail lights that slightly resemble the previous Supraís units with round housings. Itís still hard to pick out details on the upcoming sports car, but we will finally get the full picture when it bows at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show this October.

Riding on a platform thatís the result of a collaboration between BMW and Toyota, the new Supra will only be offered as a coupe while the BMW Z5 will be a convertible.

Itís still unclear what powertrain Toyota will use on its Supra, but itís possible the Japanese automaker will turn to BMWís turbocharged engines. If not, expect to see a turbocharged V6 from Toyota that may be further boosted with electrification.
    Read more about the Toyota Supra Spied Up Close Revealing More Details at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

That camo and those wheels make sure make that thing look homely. I've got a feeling Toyota is going to bring a knife to a gunfight with this car.

Thumbs down

I am trying to not be disappointed.....

Too late.....devastated.....

Please tell me it's not going to look like an eclipse mated a z3
    Chadrick
    Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; 2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD Supercharged; Hidden Content ; 1967 VW Beetle (Her Classic)
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    The wheels make it look really homely too though. They are running on the wrong overall diameter and obviously not the wheel design it will ship with. The camo is very effective at hiding what its going to look like, particularly the rear. Here's a photoshop done off of the front recent spy shots. This probably isn't too far off, but still doesn't look quite right (they didn't adjust the wheel size for instance). I predict the production car will look better then this, but not nearly as good as the crazy prototype they were shopping around...

With a drop and nice wheels I'm sure the production model will look good enough. The real question, or we getting a bmw dressed like a supra with a BMW motor? At least it would be an inline 6 then. OR, or we getting a BWM chassis with the rumored all new Toyota twin turbo v6? Personally, I think what is going to make or break this car is whether it will have a bullet proof, modable drivetrain that can live up to the rep of the mk4s. No beemer motor has ever been able to double or triple the factory output reliably with just bolt ons, thats for sure.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    ALSO, I just took another close up look at the higher resolution pics posted in the above article and just realized something very important. This isn't just vinyl wrap! They are going to extreme lengths to hide this cars details, scoops and swoops. If you look at the close up shots of the front wheel and rear tail light, you can clearly tell that they've fabricated complex panels that screw onto the body to hide stuff they don't want us to see yet. There are panels on the upper section of the fenders, right across the hood, the entire rear quaters, and even over the hatch. I suspect the real car will be even curvier then the photoshop I just posted, it probably has a lot more of the original concept car in it then that rendition.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information