ANOTHER Wiper Motor Thread

ANOTHER Wiper Motor Thread

Sadly this may be the first and last time I'll post on this forum :c I am the proud 21 year old owner of a '83 Celica-Supra and while most of the things on my baby have been running extremely smooth especially considering the age of this car, the one thing that has been causing me grief since the day I drove home with this car is the cursed windshield wiper system.

Long story short, I've had to mess around with my wiper system too many times, I replaced the wiper motor, then the linkage broke off, I then found some backwater way to keep the linkage from falling apart cause the previous owner did a real interesting "custom job" with the connections, then here and there fuses would blow, and tonight on my way home from work my wipers once again just up and stopped in the middle of my windshield, on the highway in the middle of pouring rain.

When I got back home I tried to move the wipers by hand and they were impossible to move, so that probably rules out the linkage, the rear wiper works and the fuse isn't blown, so did my motor somehow die after very recently getting it replaced (with a refurbished one) so I can't figure out what the issue is. When we replaced the motor last time we had to install a toggle switch because the standard wiring kept the new motor running and it wouldn't park correctly, so we wired it the best we could to work with the toggle switch but the wipers would now only run at low or high and INT wouldn't work at all, but it was working for a month or two but here we are. So I'm thinking maybe the wiring we did fried the motor somehow or is there something I'm missing??
    I live in good old WA in the dead of rain season, so if it turns out I'll have to buy and replace the motor every month I'm gonna have to part ways with my digital dashboarded white n black beauty :C

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Don't rule out the linkage and conclude that the motor is the culprit without shooting trouble first. Pull the motor out (again) and make sure your backwater fix and custom job aren't jamming the linkage somehow. Also check that the motor operates while you got it out too. If you're intermittently blowing fuses that would seem to indicate (to me, anyway) that your linkage may be jamming up sometimes. I live in Wisconsin and normally park my Supras for the winter but there have been times over the years where I've driven one in cold weather and learned the hard way that the fuse will blow if your wipers are frozen in place and unable to move or jammed in the ice when you turn them on.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1990
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cheappower82 Hidden Content
    Guess you have the magic touch; touch mine please?!

I have a good , used linkage for sale if anyone is looking. PM me
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

iirc, the wiper control box is mounted in the pass side kick panel. Corroded terminals could be an issue. Take a look in that area. (the other box is the cruise control i think}
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    iirc, the wiper control box is mounted in the pass side kick panel. Corroded terminals could be an issue. Take a look in that area. (the other box is the cruise control i think}
    http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=BE&P=9
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Thread Information