5x7 Aftermarket speaker install, might need to cut a hole in body?

5x7 Aftermarket speaker install, might need to cut a hole in body?

Hello everyone. I'm not new, but my old account doesn't exist anymore and I'm not able to post pictures/links because I don't have enough posts. I'll try my best to describe everything thoroughly.

Before I begin this car is mostly a weekend car. I don't race.

Project: I'm trying to install aftermarket 5X7 to replace the old beat up stock speakers in my 85 Supra. I'm not going to reuse the original speaker brackets because it wont work in my application.

Issue: The magnet on the new speakers are too large. (I also tried getting speakers with a smaller magnets. They didn't sound good.)

My instinct: Cut a hole in the body so when I install my new speaker it would drop straight down with a custom made bracket.

Where do I want to cut it: If you remove your rear speaker grill then remove the speaker and the speaker bracket. The sheet metal starting from the bottom of the window support bracket that connects to the wheel well (this area looks to be glued in this area). Now if you have your speaker and everything installed except for the speaker grill. Using the stock speaker as a reference, imagine if the magnet was 1" deeper and 1.5" wider. It would hit the sheet metal where the the window support bracket sits. (Hope I'm describing good enough)

I wanted to cut a 4" lengthwise rectangle from the bottom of the window bracket to almost where the sheet metal connects to the wheel well.

New Concern: I wanted to know if this would cause any weakness in that particular area.

Hypothesis for new concern: I think I will be fine.

Going back to smaller speakers is not going to be a solution for me. If making a hole is a bad decision I can always relocate the rear speakers.

Thanks for any input.

-John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Hello
    I have a picture of the area you are describing here on my computer which i have been looking at. It is a bit of a guess really, but i too think that you will be fine if you cut there. If you want to be on the safer side you could weld like a box-structure in the removed portion that still have room for the magnets. If i were to do this myself i would probably weld just to know that it is properly done.

That spot is terrible for speakers anyway and what 5x7's did you even find? Most 5x7's are god awful, and you'll never get the area to seal right without a ton of work. Most either fit some 5.25's super easy or ignore those completely, mod the doors for 6.5's/tweeters, and then run at least 6x9's or 8's at the minimum in an enclosure in the hatch area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I think if you're willing to cut up your car installing them the back seat side trim is a lot easier. The sheetmetal is already open in that area.

Most people put in 5" round to replace the dated 5X7's . I would not cut up my car merely to fit in an oversized speaker. But I'm not one of those types that has to blast my eardrums when I drive.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

Hello All,

This is going to be a really long progress project as I do not have much time to work on my car.

I'm currently working with a set of CT Sound Tropo 5x7 full range speakers.

I've read a few threads already on the 5.25" speakers. Looked through WES Hetrick's threads multiple times. I'm going with the 5.25" mod.

Thanks for all your input.

-John

I think one of the problems with the rear speakers is you really can't seal them up so the sound comes out of the front of the speaker. The framework is pretty open, even with the grilles snapped back in place, and unless you can seal off the back, the sound quality will suffer. When I swapped out the cheep-o speakers in mine, I noticed there was a bunch of "batting" material in there, but not nearly enough to give any kind of meaningful isolation between the front and the rear of the speakers.

I can live with turning to volume to the fronts down reeeal low if I have decent speakers in the back, but even with the good quality Kenwood 5-1/4" units I have back there, it still sounds pretty crummy.

I'm going to disconnect the leads from those and connect them to some small Radio Shack 3-way "Minimus" enclosures I have, and figure out some way to anchor them down so they don't turn into unguided missiles if I have to stomp on the brakes.

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Thread Information