Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

New exhaust is too quiet. Need advice

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Whitey482 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I just had my entire exhaust custom fabricated at a shop here in dallas. I'm going for an aggressive sound but not too loud or ricey. And of course must hear the turbo spool up. Well I picked it up yesterday and drove it home about 25 miles. I'm still breaking in the motor so wasn't going crazy or anything but I revved up the motor and could barely hear the thing! I mean like nothing. I could hear the fan and thats about it. Apparently this shop is one if not the only in the area to have a mandrel bender. So I had them make a 3" SS exhaust from downpipe all the way back to muffler. They had to modify the downpipe a bit since it came out of a mk3 and didn't pop out in the right spot. No cat. I bought a MagnaFlow muffler from billym. Muffler does not have any baffles and he had ran a resonator with this muffler and setup. So I figured I better get one too. I bought this one from amazon. Vibrant 1142 3" Ultra Quiet Resonat...p/B001806YE2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bEz6yb07WD30S. And told the shop to fit this and the magnaflow.

I'm telling you there is not a decibal of anything now. Did the shop do something wrong? The resonator was welded on right before muffler. From reading the reviews on amazon it seems that not some noise was reduced but most people can still hear some aggressive sound.

Im thinking my next step is to take it back and have them remove the resonator and see if that helps. But then I'm afraid it'll be too loud with just the muffler. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
N/A cars are normally louder in the exhaust as turbo cars get some amount of noise reduction from passing through the turbo prior to exiting the downpipe. You probably could get away with removing the resonator. I remember when I had a CT26 setup on mine that the exhaust level wasn't too bad going through 3" piping, a catalytic converter and an APEXi 3" muffler. After removing the turbo setup, my exhaust got insanely louder.

#4 ·
The turbo itself is a pretty serious muffler in itself. But getting a good exhaust tone is an iterative, experimental process and can get very expensive. I remember when I had an n/a setup with a header, I wasted so much money on exhaust, first putting in 2.5 piping, changing mufflers, then adding a resonator, changing resonators, redoing the whole damned system in 2.25", changing mufflers, adding a resonator, all in an effort to get the sound just right at all speeds and loads. It was still annoying at certain speeds and not any faster. Then I ripped it all out and put in a turbo, went back to 2.5" with nothing but a simple magnaflow and it was absolutely perfect right outta the box. But its hard to believe you can't hear anything at all. Maybe try one of these? http://www.asseenontv.com/msa-30x-sound-amplifier-discreet-sound-amplifier/detail.php?p=448979 ;)

#5 ·
Man I'm getting older but not that old haha. I post a video here soon. The sound I'm going for is when I had a mk3 with a Tanabe hyper medallion cat back. Iam wasn't a big fan of the can muffler. But it sounded glorious. Nice deep tone. Not too loud or quiet. And you could hear the turbo perfectly. So I guess I'm at a point where I'll have the shop take out the resonator and see what happens. Have them flange in a straight pipe. Then if in the future I want a throw in a resonator I can bolt it on.

#6 ·
Said above, eliminate the resonator.

Or you could also leave the resonator, and eliminate the muffler; just depends on how aggressive you want it to be. i6 motors never sound like "rice"; the only motors that sound like "Rice" are 4cyl engines spinning 7k+ rpm and sporting "Cat back" exhausts far larger than the header / manifold down tube. Typically "rice" is cranking out a ear shredding 135FW HP, in a car that has seen better days.. Do I truly hate rice? Nah, I am happy they are trying to "hot rod" their cars, but damn dude.. their taste is often questionable, and their bolt on's are typically pointless and in some situations actually kill power output..

Sort version, I don't think your i6 will ever sound like "Rice" with out going far out of your way to do so.

#8 · (Edited)
My Ebay "twin pass" muffler was too loud!
I had a resonator installed and it mellowed it out quite a lot!
It's just mellow-sounding now.No"bark" at all.

Maybe you can ask if they can put a sleeve inside the resonator to eliminate it's effectiveness.
Is that even possible? That way,you could save some coin if that is what you are looking for.
Be aware that your exhaust note will get much louder as the system ages with carbon build up.

#9 ·
Personally I think quiet is awesome. If you want it louder I would just install a cutout so you can have the best of both worlds. If you go to a larger turbo its going to get a lot louder.

#11 ·
Man, this is a real First World Problem complaining that your exhaust is too effective :thumbsup:

Your best bet may be to work with the guys at the exhaust shop, tell them what you want and see what they can do. My work friend has a mk4 with stock exhaust that is absolutely silent, even with both turbos running, it's beyond belief. All you can hear is the quiet whistle of the turbo at 5,000RPM. He's planning to get a cutout to bypass one of the silencers for when people need to know that 400 horses are coming through!

#13 ·
Hey Gamble. I sure did. The exhaust sounds a little louder and deeper. However still not quite the tone I'm looking for. If you want the resonator let me know. I'm not real happy with the muffler or tips either. So if u need or want those I might be willing to part with them. I'll post up a couple pics here when I get home tonight

#15 ·
Here's a pic of the resonator cut out and the tips. Preston and I were looking at my exhaust the other night, and we agree it's hanging too low. So I am going to shorten the hangers and tuck up the rear section of the piping and muffler at little higher. Also, going to ditch the tips. They are bolt on and pretty much brand new. 2.5" inlet and 4" outlet. Got them from Amazon.

#16 ·
That resonator looks huge! 2 1/2 " in and out.
The tips look a little ricey".
The tips are 4" out and does make the exhaust sound louder. Boom tubes,the diesel guys call them.
My resonator is the flat style,so ground clearance isn't an issue. It did mellow out the sound.
If there is room,the resonator should be OK for Gamble.

#17 ·
Actually the resonator is 3" in and out. I am running 3" piping from turbo all the way back. Yeah i agree on the tips. I don't like them. I went with 4" outlets because I wanted to close the gap between the muffler outlets. Without the tips, there's a good i dunno 3 inches or so between them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.