Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

5mge No Power

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Supraaakat! 
#1 ·
Im new to the forums! I have an 82 Supra. I put a lot of money into to get it running and it was running great but recently, it started knocking once it gets to the higher revs. it has no power what so ever but it idles fine. I suspected that I spun a bearing but i found no metal shavings in my oil filter(cut it open). I then suspected it might of slipped a tooth on the timing but i checked the timing and everything lines up and the belt is still nice and tensioned. I have no idea what it could be. Bad dizzy? any ideas guys?:32:

#6 ·
So when warming up, there is no knock or tick. Seems fine when driving while it's still cold. Still underpowered but not as much until it's warmed up. The more you drive, you start hearing a faint tick. Then it the louder and louder the knock gets. And yes it sounds like a knock when revving it. Oil pump? I don't have an oil pressure gauge. I'll check the compression as well

#7 ·
I agree with Dave on both counts. Your power problem is most likely due to one of the vacuum diaphragms being bad. It's the inner one, strangely called the sub diaphragm, that's likely the culprit. It's used for all operating conditions. The other one is only used to supplement it under extremely cold conditions. Your MPG also drops into the toilet when the sub diaphragm is toast. Sound familiar?
An easy way to test both diaphragms is to either attach a vacuum pump or even just a length of clean vacuum hose and suck on it. They should both hold vacuum. And with the distributor cap removed, you should see the plate that the ignition pickup mounts to move some with vacuum applied to either. It's a very common problem that unfortunately, has only two possible solutions. Find a good used one that a forum member would be willing to part with (not likely, but not impossible), or buying a remanufactured distributor assembly which isn't that expensive. IIRC, they're in the neighborhood of $150. I can assure you that no matter what you find on line, any replacement vacuum advance assemblies listed are not the correct ones. This application is one year, one model only. And there isn't any universal ones that would fit this distributor either, at least as far as I know.
You might also have either a plugged fuel pickup sock in the gas tank, which is still available from Toyota and worth replacing anyway unless you know it recently has been. And / or you could and likely do have a plugged inline filter inside the inlet hose to your fuel pump. It's a very small cone shaped filter that's right at the fuel pump inlet and unfortunately NLA, so be very careful cleaning it. Don't even think about running without it unless you like being stranded unexpectedly and regularly and buying fuel pumps too. And they aren't cheap!
And with the high mileage virtually all of these engines have accumulated by now, a bit thicker oil may take care of your noise. Wear is certainly a reasonable cause as is additional clearance and oil thinning that always happens to some extent as everything gets up to operating temps. It's certainly worth a try before assuming the worst.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.