The Second Life of an 85 Supra - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Only 1975 and older are exempt from smog testing. Technically a cop can refer to ref for these for smog check though. Only 1966 and earlier are truly free from requirements. Other than that it is OEM replacment or you have to have a CARB sticker. Any intake mod is a giant red flag for smog tests its like the first thing they look for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

AFAIK, the only cars you can really do mods to are 1975 and earlier, basically any car without a catalytic converter.

The intake system is considered part of the smog equipment, and can't be modified.

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me!

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

I know newer cars they want you to have that CARB bs on everything but I remember the referee at my school was saying 96 and older can mod their intakes, but if im reading the chart right on page two then we should be able to modify our intakes? https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX%...%2012-2009.pdf if so that'd be very useful for some of us. and I've noticed some smog dudes aren't up to date on all of California's crazy laws, one I went to didn't even know about AB550, and I've talked to people that have had to go to a referee because smog guys think their car is illegal when it actually isn't

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

That's an interesting document. It would seem to indicate you could swap out the OEM stuff without worrying about it.

Most of the places I've had to deal with would probably flunk the car, though. Unless you get somebody who knows what the law is, I'm pretty sure they'll take one look at it and fail it, just on appearances.

The place I used to take mine to failed it for a "Tampered PCV hose", even though the hose wasn't part of the PCV system. I question the tech on it, and he exploded at me telling me HE knew what it was, and since I was Joe Blow, I couldn't possibly know anything about smog systems, and who was I to question him.

I wound up going to a different place that knew Japanese cars much better....

You can always give it a try and see what happens. Keep us informed, I'd really like to hear what a smog tech has to say if you show him that document...
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

The air cleaner assembly would be consider pre MAF so in theory you can get by with a cone filter. Pretty much everything from the MAF to the CATs is a smog item in car.

I'll ask the state ref at my school and see what he says, he's very up to date in regulations and looks at modified cars all day. It'll have to wait until next week tho he's unfortunatly not here today :'c

A little update too; decided to change the fuel filter because it very most likely needed it anyways. Cracked open the bottom nut and fuel came out, cool! At least I know the line isn't clogged. And it didn't smell TOO bad, although it did smell a little bad.. changed the filter, upon inspection it looked like someone changed it before me! Whoever changed it before only put the right side mounting nut on, it sure did make it easier to remove lol and the filter said "PURALATOR" on it which I'm sure isn't Toyota OEM.

I put the new filter in but left the top nut off to see if gas would come out if I cranked it, which would show me if the pump is doing its job and I've got fuel pressure. Cranked it over a few a times but nothing :/ I checked the EFI fuse and it was good, same with the relay you can feel it clicking sweet!
    Next I tried the nifty little fuel pump test circuit that Toyota provides by the air flow meter, and didn't get any pressure or fuel return noise from the rail like the manual said. I then checked for power to the fuel pump and it was getting power when the key was turned over. All signs are pointing to the fuel pump being busted aw man I'm going to buy a new one off raptor racing and install it and see what happens.
    In the meantime I'm going to work on the cooling system and flushing all the nasty gross coolant out and changing the rock hard hoses; any tips for changing that god awful suicide hose that you can even hardly see x.x

Patience!

Or you can pull the upper part of the intake manifold to get easier access.

I'm going to replace that hose, the fuel filter, and *maybe* the starter when I pull the upper manifold off to install my new fuel injectors.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Been lagging on the updates oops, but anyways... On Saturday I pulled the tank and found my problem.. first it smelt yuck! tbh it wasn't too bad, it was bareable and still liquid; but I also did pour in some new gas with it (which I've read you're suppose to do to get rid of it??) but it all ended up getting drained \_(ツ)_/ I removed the fuel pump and that was G.R.O.S.S. no wonder it stopped working

I already got a new pump, but have to wait to install it since I sent the tank out to get cleaned and resprayed. I dropped it off Monday but it won't be done till Thursday or Friday so it'll be in by Saturday, and hopefully can be running by then! Going to do a tune up on it today, and get around to the cooling system since I didn't have the chance to Monday >.> oops lol

Thread Information