ROH Snyper Cleaning / Polishing...

Question ROH Snyper Cleaning / Polishing...

I have a set of ROH group buy wheels and they need cleaned badly. I scrubbed them, pressure washed them, and now want to polish them a bit. I started with Mothers aluminum mag wheel polish and a power cone but there was not a gray/black buildup from working the material. The wheel, when that spot was wiped down looked better than when started; however, is it OK to polish the face front of the wheel like this?
    Chadrick
    Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; 2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD Supercharged; Hidden Content ; 1967 VW Beetle (Her Classic)
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'm not familiar with the ROH wheels, but it sounds like they may be a clear anodized finish. I dealt with it in restoring Corvette sill plates that were badly scratched up. I started by trying to sand the scratches out and polish them but the surface was too hard. In desperation, I researched and found they were clear anodized and to use oven cleaner to first remove the anodizing. After that, they polished up easily. If the ROH wheels are clear anodized, there's not much that can be done to salvage the anodized surface beyond just cleaning it. You can google for instructions on cleaning clear anodized aluminum. Hopefully they aren't so bad you need to remove the anodizing.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member Atl_Racer's Avatar
    aluminum wheel acid does the trick
    Tommy
    86 HKS powered 6MGTE

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Most aluminum wheels are powder coated clear. Some mostly non cast aftermarket wheels (or early stock Mk2 wheels...) are just polished aluminum.

You can strip the powder coat with paint stripper and polish, but you will have to polish very frequently to keep them looking the same. Aluminum oxidized pretty quickly in the weather. You treat powder coat the same as paint although once its gone its pretty much gone.

my wheels are bare polished stock since 8 years. Yes it's a garage queen and almost only see washing water.
    It only need a yearly hand polish (about 90 minutes all 4), and I'm happy with their mirror finish.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Sounds like you used too much polish to me if it didnt turn black. Takes a tiny amount. They are probably cleared. most likely paint from the pricing.
    william
    Hidden Content black 84 7mgte, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Hidden Content blue 85 beater
    Hidden Content black 86 triple weber 6m in the works!

Thread Information