Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Aftermarket engine mounts for 5/6mge - Are any available?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  killbill oddy 
#1 ·
Just looking to swap them for something a bit newer and to gain more clearance around the Supercharger i'm fitting, as there is a big steel cage around the rubber. (se pic below)

I did think about hacking it about, but rather not have to! I just want a more compact mount. Does anybody know if There are any on the market already before i have to buy a bar of polyurethane and get some made! Haven't got an engine crane handy though so that would be a bit of a Pain in the arse.
Cheers in advance for anyone with some decent links ect:thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
I've used those E.S. for years, they will hold up well, just make sure to use the backing plate under the mount (it comes with the plate). Not using the backing plate increases chances of the mount failing. Slight mod to the E.S. mount for me was trimming off a few of the corners of the bracket, and enlarging the hole for the bolts slightly. See pic:

The mount on the left failed me on my 1jz (no backing plate), but never had a problem with my 5mge.

Don

#4 ·
Ahh cool! Cheers for the pics Don. I haven't had chance to look at the original mounts on the car yet, but looks simple enough. I take it the Red Poly is energy suspensions current product? Looks sturdy enough. I will take your advice though and run them with a backing plate. Just happy to be able to find some smaller mounts without that great big cage thing taking up tonnes of room! Thanks for a solid response

#5 ·
#7 ·
They are sweet! Cheers for the link. Cost may rack up a bit after import fees and tax though, shame they don't seem to have a european distributor otherwise i'd deffo consider them. Think the Energy suspension ones might do the job so long as i run one of those ram style engine dampers

#6 ·
I've used both the black and the red Energy Susp mounts (designed for a GM tranny, I think), and believe really no difference other than color. Both black and red are still available, about $70 a pair vs. about $190 a pair for the Xcessive mounts, which I am currently using. Awesome mounts, a bit wider than ES mounts, but so much stronger. Check out my broken motor mount thread for more info:

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?75977-Broken-E-S-engine-mount&highlight=

Don

#8 ·
Thanks for putting that link up Don, really helped me with sourcing with the part number. Looks a nice and simple job to make fit too. Those xcessive ones are pretty impressive, just a bit too much for me after import fees ect. Would be nice to know how the dimensions compared to the toyota ones, but for me, i think the energy ones are up to it with an engine damper. Might get the xcessive gearbox mount though as that looks pretty special! Wish they had an ebay shop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.