Mk3 supra northstar w58

Mk3 supra northstar w58

Hey everyone.

I am researching how to put my car togethe and have seen a few different things. I was hoping to get some insight from anybody willin to share.

I have an 87 mk3 supra 7m-gte chasing with no motor or transmission. It does have the lsd though. I also have an 04 Cadillac northstar out of a Deville which I am in the process of converting it for a rwd set up complete with electric water pump, steering pump, a/c pump, and secondary oil pump for additional oil cooling. I am also flipping the throttle body and manifold so that it will face forward. I have a w58 Trans from another supra wich I plan to mount up as well.

My question is how and where do I connect the engine and transmission. Where can I find a bellhousing and what about a fly wheeland clutch setup?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Probably much cheaper just using a GM transmission.

What kind of gm tranny would you suggest?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

...one that connects easily to the Northstar.

"The Northstar can be converted to RWD by using a 700R4 transmission from a 60 degree V-6 powered S-10 or Camaro and welding in a special
    pocket for the starter."

--billyM
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

What about a manual transmission?

http://www.chrfab.com/new_products.htm

Scroll down after clicking link above.

Everyone calling us wants to know how we are going to turn the Northstar engine and adapt it to the rear wheel drive application.

It's not that hard. Start with the small 60 degree 700 R4 found in a S-10 pickup. There is one bolt through boss on the lower right side that will have to be moved up 1 inch.

The 700 R4 automatic is a natural hot rod transmission. It has a 3.07 first gear and a 0.7 fourth gear. Depending on the size of the rear tire, you can run a low gear to have fun with your buddies in low gear and still get very respectable gas mileage in fourth. Here is the formula:

MPH = rpm x tire diameter / gear ratio x 336 or

RPM = mph x gear ratio x 336 / tire diameter

Our transmissions are fully rebuilt to our standards to withstand high horse power engines by a respected shop. The stock transmission will not hold up to even the stock Northstar, unless you are only a cruiser. Even casual blasts will damage the stock transmission.

Our transmissions are designed to perform correctly without a computer or electrical input, keep it simple. We also include a special torque converter to match your application. These are of the latest design so they are very efficient. You can specify any stall speed and the torque converter locks up automatically. High stall for fun and the lockup feature to keep the fluid cool during long rides.

We also have bellhousings for the stick shift transmissions, look under NEW PRODUCTS.

The stick shift application will require a special flywheel. We can provide a steel flywheel that weighs 11 pounds

We just finished an adapter for a new cast bellhousing for stick shift transmissions. You get a new bellhousing, machining of the bellhousing, adapter plate, flat head bolts and the trans adapter ring. You need to measure the front shaft housing or register (4.68", 4.858", or 5.125") and give us that number for the correct ring. Pricing is $575

As you can see, this adapter will rotate 17 degrees for the Chevy T-5 speed transmission.

Transmissions that can be used on this bellhousing/adapter:

Chevy T-5
    Ford T-5
    TKO 5 and 6 speed
    Old Chevy (Muncie) transmissions

We also can provide a hydraulic throw-out bearing.

Here's a thought. If as stated above, the Northstar has the same bellhousing pattern as the 60-degree GM v6's, then this means that it also matches the pattern on 4-cylinder jeeps. Those jeeps also used the AX-5 tranmission, which is very very similar to the W58 (both made by Aisin) and the gearbox-side bellhousing pattern is the same between them.

SO! If I am not mistaken, if you go and find a bellhousing from either a 2.5 4-cylinder jeep, or a v6 AMC jeep (the early cherokees and commanches), you should be able to use it to bolt the Northstar to the W58.

This still leaves you with having to figure out a flywheel, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, and a pilot bushing. However, it is a start.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I'll add what little I know about this. I'm pretty sure that AMC Jeeps end in '90, Chrysler Jeeps start in '92 and '91's are a total mess with some of each.

Quote Originally Posted by apavlov13 View Post
    Here's a thought. If as stated above, the Northstar has the same bellhousing pattern as the 60-degree GM v6's, then this means that it also matches the pattern on 4-cylinder jeeps. Those jeeps also used the AX-5 tranmission, which is very very similar to the W58 (both made by Aisin) and the gearbox-side bellhousing pattern is the same between them.

SO! If I am not mistaken, if you go and find a bellhousing from either a 2.5 4-cylinder jeep, or a v6 AMC jeep (the early cherokees and commanches), you should be able to use it to bolt the Northstar to the W58.

This still leaves you with having to figure out a flywheel, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, and a pilot bushing. However, it is a start.
    This is fantastic!!! Thank you!! The only concern I have is weather this bell housing can stand up to the northstar being that it came couple to either a 4 or 6 cylinder with considerably less power.

I would say just try it. I would say that the w58 would still be the weak link, but there are some whose w58 has managed to hold up to hopped up 2jz's. Worst case scenario you retain what you learned doing it the first time and swap to a stronger transmission.

And on that note, allegedly the 2.5 Dodge Dakota's had the same bellhousing pattern, but for an AX-15, whose bellhousings interchange with the r154 as well as the GM AR-5 and MT-5. All of those transmissions are heavier duty than the w58/ax5.

...Just food for thought...

Thread Information