Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

How do I get the rotors off?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  drjim 
#1 ·
I've done lots and lots of brake repairs over the years but this one has me stumped...so here is the 'stupid MKII question of the day'...
Took off the front caliper, carrier, but cannot get the rotors off. As far as I can tell there are 4 bolts on the back of the rotor which bolt into the hub, but I cannot get ANY ratchet or wrench to loosen these bolts...super frustrated! Can anyone solve what I KNOW has to be a simple problem?
Thanks for your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The Online TSRM is on the following link
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?S=BR&P=18

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...ing-install-Step-by-step-w-pics&highlight=bbk
This link is to pull the front hubs, change the bearings, and install a BBK adapter, but the pictures are pretty good for removing the system.
From what I recall, bolting the hub back to the wheel when you undo the bolts from the back works REALLY well. Otherwise holding the disk is well nigh impossible!

Dale

#3 ·
Did you have success,yet?
Only one day to figure it out.
The HUB has to be separated from the rotor.The other issue is to check the rotor at the face.
It must be (cleaned) very well and use anti seize to the mating surfaces.The last assembler did not use it.
IF the run out is .004" or less ,you are good to go.
What I used was Aluminum foil to correct the run out.
If the rotor is junk,bash it out.
14 mm bolts will require a 6 point socket.* An impact gun is advised.*

After the outer bearing is removed,the rotor/hub assembly will be forcefully yanked off.
The BOLTS can be heated to loosen the hub from the rotor.
Check the rotor run out after assembly.

HEAT is the answer.

#4 ·
Thanks guys for this info. Admittedly I'm blown away that replacing rotors is such a process for this car, but they need to be replaced so I guess I'm pulling the hubs. Seems over engineered or a play to ensure the Toyota dealers can get the service money...thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I agree with gamble, as usual. New inner and outer wheel bearings and seals are reasonably cheap insurance against failure.

I was just going to repack mine when I pulled the hubs to install my new rotors, but after I wiped the grease off them, I noticed they were discolored in a certain wear pattern indicating the chrome plating was wearing off the rollers.

Gave me a chance to use my new bearing packer, too....

- Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.