Which profile wheel weights fit the 1985 P-type manual trans 14x7 wheelS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which profile wheel weights fit the 1985 P-type manual trans 14x7 wheelS?

Hey y'all, I'm going crazy on something simple & stupid but I can't seem to find the info anywhere. I'm kind of a rookie with the site, so maybe this info was available in the search engine but I couldn't find it.

Can ANYONE please tell me which clip-on wheel weight type (profile) fits the 14x7 wheels for my manual trans 1985 P-type?

I've been going round and round with the local tire shops and either the weights keep falling off at speed or the tires keep going flat because they keep throwing any old wrong weight on and the beads leak. They think I'm too picky and they want to use stick-on weights and be done with it, but I'd rather the clip-on type and it's starting to become really aggravating. I've already been banned from one shop because I brought my tires back too many times (because they were going flat!!!!! go figure).

So I can't find on Google or anywhere else the correct weight type. I've narrowed it down (I think) to either "IAW" or "FN" or "EN." If I can find out which is the correct one, the latest shop WILL allow me to look at their bins and find the correct profile. But they don't know themselves, and they don't care, despite my buying two expensive sets of tires. (This is south Louisiana, and no one gives a d--n and there's no car culture but we all know how to cook and drink.)

Choosing the wrong profile weight means that either the weight doesn't sit flush against the rim, or the clip doesn't fit inside correctly and holds the tire bead away from the rim so it goes flat. They threw some AL weights on today and they are visually totally wrong and there's a large gap.

Much appreciated if anyone could shed light on this. I'm surprised that Google doesn't, but I've scoured it as well as I could but no dice...........

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Use the stick-ons...whether your wheels are stock of aftermarket, I've never had a problem with stick ons and I've been using them on multiple vehicles for years.

I don't see what difference the wheel weight have to do with constant flat tires? Unless they are launching off the wheel and going thru the sidewall or something. The weights are nowhere near the sealing area on a tire.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses! Yes, I know I could use stick-ons if it comes to that. For originality (it's just me), I actually like the look of the correct clip-on weights. Hence my search for the correct weight profile.

Regarding the leakage, yes the weights can and do leak if the clip is the wrong shape and the tire tech beats on it to try to make it fit. I actually used to work for several years mounting and selling tires. The clip on an incorrect weight can hold the bead away just enough to allow a slow leak, easily found with a spray-bottle of soapy water.

Last summer I had to work through the exact same problem with the stock alloy wheels on my '78 Lincoln - multiple flats, due to the fact that without caring they were using European-profile weights. After research I found the correct AW profile and no more problems. The Lincoln actually slung off ALL the weights on two of my tires and one weight off each of the other two tires, the first time I took it on the highway. Then the next type they put on gave me a near flat just before I got on the highway again because it took 3 days to get down to 10 pounds. Same dang problem. The tire shop finally admitted they didn't have the correct weights but I found another shop across town that did.

Now that I've finally gotten the Supra running after 5 years in the yard, and after bringing it from California to Louisiana, and this is the first time replacing the tires, and the same problem had arisen: the techs don't use a gauge, as they're supposed to. Instead they just eyeball it and beat on it until it fits. Fail.

I'm going to try to contact a couple of the big weight manufacturers because somewhere they must have an old catalog which lists the Supra application.

So here's an update on my wheel weight search. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Today I studied all the info I had from the Internet and identified three possible correct weight profiles: EN, FN and IAW. I thought, well OK I'll drive back to the tire shop and ask to let me look at their weight collection. But then I decided to try other avenues first before returning to the tire shop, because I've become very gunshy over this issue and don't want to be blackballed from a second shop for trying to find the correct weight. (How stupid is that, that I got blackballed from the first shop because my tires kept going flat and the weights kept getting slung off?).

So I called BADA, one of the main weight manufacturers, and found the customer service lady (I'll withhold her name in case it's not OK to share) to be EXTREMELY helpful and interested in helping find the right weight. Ironically, she started searching the 'net from her end and found this thread!! lolol.

She gave me an important clue, which I sort of knew, but which became very helpful: because the different manufacturers use different names for the same-profile weights (IAW, ALCIW, etc.) - all I really needed to know is that they are color-coded across manufacturers. So an IAW-shaped weight will have the same color code, no matter what a different manufacturer calls it. In the back of the tire shop they have color-coded bins (orange, green, blue, etc.). Why am I learning this now? Because when I worked in a tire shop many moons ago we didn't have the color-coding.

So we were able to zero in on IAW (blue); FN (orange) and EN (green) as metric weights which may have been used on a Toyota. She then suggested the Toyota dealership, which I had never thought of. Why not try to go from the Toyota end, get ahold of the correct weights that way, so I could at least see the correct profile?

Sure enough, I was able to identify my rims as "Type B" from some on-line dealership catalogs, and saw a bunch of Toyota weights listed. But then I called the dealership and every part number I gave them was discontinued. Dang.

So, I then printed some profile cross-sections and headed to the tire shop. On the way, I hit upon a way to get them to work with me: I had a really old spare in the trunk which needed replacing. Why not have them pull it off the rim and that way I can easily try various weights on the rim and get to the bottom of it? So then I really got to the bottom of it: it turned out that they didn't have ANY of the three sizes in question - IAW, EN and FN, and all the weights were jumbled around in the various color-coded boxes. NO wonder they threw English AL weights on my rim. The manager said that they didn't have any of those sizes and didn't plan to get any. Before you tell me why didn't I find a better shop, let me say that this has been the case with EVERY shop I have found down here in good ol' south Louisiana. Nobody cares about accuracy.

The manager agreed with me that of all the weight profiles on the papers I brought, the FN (orange) weight looked closest. But with none in stock, there was no way to tell. He suggested that maybe I could get the weights at O'Reilly.

Then began my roadtrip, stopping at each tire shop along the way, asking for FN weights. Three shops in a row - NO. None of them had seen them in a long time. Kept going and got to O'Reilly, hoisted the bare rim on the counter, and three of us eyeballed it and agreed that the FN weight looked right. As the two tires in question needed two different sizes, I had to order two boxes (25-count each), for $30 worth of weights. Jeez. So they come in tomorrow and we shall see.

But then finally all the PITA running around paid off. I needed some SAE40 oil and O'Reilly and Autozone both stopped carrying it, but suggested maybe Wal-Mart would have it down the road. Wal-Mart didn't have it (will have to go to a local tractor-supply place I guess), but then I thought to ask the service guys if they had FN weights. Well, GOLLY GEE - all the abuse Wal-Mart takes, one good thing that corporate does is to force them to carry all the types of weights!! Go figure. And "no," they weren't allowed to sell me any weights without buying a tire.

But after some begging, the manager pulled out IAW, FN and EN weights there it was: The only one that would fit onto the rim was the FN. Went on real nice. Looks correct. The clip nicely followed the curvature of the lip. Couldn't get the others on even hammering hard.

Am I sure that it's correct? No. But with the ones coming in tomorrow being a different brand, if they fit nicely as well, then problem solved.

Preliminary verdict for the correct wheel balance weights for the 1985 Celica Supra, manual trans, 14x7 aluminum wheels: FN profile.

I had NO idea that this would become such a total PITA with such a lack of good information. But what I told the manager at my tire shop today by way of apology for pestering them about flat tires and thrown weights, was that how would he feel driving 80 mph across New Mexico in 100-degree heat and wondering if one of his tires was going to explode because he decided to just forget about solving the problem?

Fingers crossed for tomorrow....

SupraScooby,

Thank you for the information you provided above. It is very informative and well written, this is why I like this site as it helps others like myself to improve our knowledge on this awesome masterpiece of a car.

Again Thank you
    Senior

Good info. But I understand your frustration. I've gotten to where I don't even bother with retail stores anymore. Millions of square feet of retail all around me and none of them ever stock anything I need or want. Its a waste of time and gas to go shopping. Its rare that I go to a store anymore, rather I go straight to the internet. Its no wonder that retail is gasping its last breath. They all take the same attitude as your Louisiana tire shops.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by SupraScooby View Post
    Then began my roadtrip, stopping at each tire shop along the way, asking for FN weights.
    Sounds like it could be the first line in the latest Roadtrip sequel.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1990
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

Hidden Content Originally Posted by cheappower82 Hidden Content
    Guess you have the magic touch; touch mine please?!

Quote Originally Posted by Senior View Post
    SupraScooby,

Thank you for the information you provided above. It is very informative and well written, this is why I like this site as it helps others like myself to improve our knowledge on this awesome masterpiece of a car.

Again Thank you
    Senior
    Glad it was helpful! Part of the challenge with this car is that everything is a PITA . Keeps us sharp, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    Good info. But I understand your frustration. I've gotten to where I don't even bother with retail stores anymore. Millions of square feet of retail all around me and none of them ever stock anything I need or want. Its a waste of time and gas to go shopping. Its rare that I go to a store anymore, rather I go straight to the internet. Its no wonder that retail is gasping its last breath. They all take the same attitude as your Louisiana tire shops.
    Yep, it's infuriating, isn't it? I have a saying:

When I was young I was a bad mechanic and the parts were good. Now I'm a good mechanic and the parts are bad! It's like jogging in place, it seems....

Thread Information