What is the best clutch?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member 82Spearco's Avatar

What is the best clutch?

OK, I am looking for some feedback on this issue. I had a chance to briefly drive a mk2 with an ACT 6 puck and I wasn't real keen on the on/off type action. I would like something that will hold up to 300 rwhp and can be feathered when needed.....maybe that doesn't exist. I have always heard that Clutchmasters was one of the best to get. What do you think is the best clutch brand and type? Thanks.
    Chad Z. "CZTOY"
    '82 Black P-type, Spearco Turbo Kit, Bored .020 over, Port&Polish Head, Cartech RRFPR, JK BBK, Coleman Rotors, Wilwood 4 piston Calipers, Hawk Pads, SS Brake Lines, Brullen 3" Cat & Exhaust, 210cc injectors, Bilstein Shocks/Struts, Eibachs, Braid 16x8 Wheels, Yoko AVS 245/45/16's, Kaminari, Hella H4's, Custom dual rear strut bars, killer sound & much more...SOLD
    '85 4Runner, 8" lift, 5.29 gears, locked F&R, LC Engineering 22-RE, 34" TrXus MTs, ARB Front Bumper, etc. FOR SALE!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I heard LUK clutches are good. no experience to back this up, though. Lots of people also like Centerforce.
    Sam O'Halloran
    ***SUPRALESS***

1994 Celica ST, daily driver.
    1982 Toyota 4x4, locked and loaded.

CelicaSupra.com Member 3000cc MK2's Avatar
    ACT and Clutchmasters are a two good clutch companies...

I have a Centerforce Stage III Dual-Friction and it is still holding... there is a post in yahoo list about the centerforce break in a thousand miles

I am still on a research on TRD clutches from Japan... and I already called a local TRD distributor and still waiting results from TRD USA about this...

Jay
    JAY of VA Beach
    81 Starlet (KP61) 4KC
    82 Supra P-type 5MGE
    86 Corolla SR5 4AC
    Mid-Atlantic Supra Owners Group - MEMBER

CelicaSupra.com Member Daves2JZGTE's Avatar
    i dont think your going to fined much out their for you. go with clutch masters give them a call i know they can make what you wont -- as for me i have the act 6 puck and once you get use to it its fine but now i need more so im going to have clutchmasters make me a new 6 puck setup for like 500 fp tourq or so.

Center Force II or III dual friction is the way to go. I had mine on the 6M and now the turbo and still holding. Mine is only the Center Force II not dual friction but I'm going dual when this one goes. Almost 100,000 miles!
    Charles "Cee-Jay" Hughes
    Silver 86 w/6M-GTE
    Silver 99 TRD Solara S/C Long Beach Ed.
    Black 88 4Runner V6

CelicaSupra.com Member 82TURBOSUPRA's Avatar
    Centerforce 2 or 3 never had a problem 15 years of using and abusing them.Wouldn't buy any other brand for now.But most early clutch failures are from sloppy installs.

CelicaSupra.com Member 82Spearco's Avatar
    So a couple of you are running Centerforce with turbos, any idea how much rwhp or torque you are putting out? If I recall correctly, it seems like the Centerforce costs about half as much as a Clutchmasters...

No one is rulling a LUK clutch in their modded mk2?
    Chad Z. "CZTOY"
    '82 Black P-type, Spearco Turbo Kit, Bored .020 over, Port&Polish Head, Cartech RRFPR, JK BBK, Coleman Rotors, Wilwood 4 piston Calipers, Hawk Pads, SS Brake Lines, Brullen 3" Cat & Exhaust, 210cc injectors, Bilstein Shocks/Struts, Eibachs, Braid 16x8 Wheels, Yoko AVS 245/45/16's, Kaminari, Hella H4's, Custom dual rear strut bars, killer sound & much more...SOLD
    '85 4Runner, 8" lift, 5.29 gears, locked F&R, LC Engineering 22-RE, 34" TrXus MTs, ARB Front Bumper, etc. FOR SALE!

Quote Originally Posted by 82Spearco
    So a couple of you are running Centerforce with turbos, any idea how much rwhp or torque you are putting out? If I recall correctly, it seems like the Centerforce costs about half as much as a Clutchmasters...

I think I'm about 220 or so at the wheels. It holds very well even with the miles on it.
    Charles "Cee-Jay" Hughes
    Silver 86 w/6M-GTE
    Silver 99 TRD Solara S/C Long Beach Ed.
    Black 88 4Runner V6

CelicaSupra.com Member 82TURBOSUPRA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Spearco

Trap speeds of 110 to 112 = @300hp ? THATS NOT ENOUGH!

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Where have you guys been buying yrou clutches from? And do you order them for the 7M or 5/6M's, cause dotn the 7M's have a little more surface area... I am turboing my 6M so what do you all think? Thanks,

Austin
    Austin

Thread Information