7mgte swap FAQ - Page 2

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mgte swap FAQ

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Thanks Don,I don't have the whole list here,just know what I want,LOL.I'll be in the shop tomorrow,come on over
    84 P-type, 7mgte, too many other mods to list, 20k miles on the chassis. 83 L-type, 7mgte/A340 swap, again, to much to list. 85 P-type, basicaly stock, DD.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Here is something to add to the gotcha's list for this swap.

The oil pan's rear windage tray/baffle may hit the rods, I had to yank it out to clear them.

Now I did use silicone for the pan seal instead of a gasket, if you use a gasket the extra thickness might keep it from hitting, I dont know.

Just look out for it, I didnt notice it when I put the pan on until I had the engine in the car, started it and had a nice little bang, bang in the pan

Scott
    1985 7MGTE Supra - R154 swap / 3.73 true-trac / Upgraded PP.
    Full 3" exhaust / magnaflow cat and muffler
    2JZ FF intake manifold / 7MGTE Throttle Body
    24x12x3 FMIC / DSM BOV /AFPR /Lexus AFM
    T04B turbo - H3 compressor wheel, "P" trim exhaust wheel with .58 A/R / Stock manifold with a homemade T4 adapter.
    Tial 38mm Wastegate / 385 rwhp/387 tq @ 16 psi

CelicaSupra.com Member lil'devil's Avatar
    I siloconed my oil pan and didn't have that problem...just every other problem

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    This is a wiring tidbit for those of us doing the wiring.

You wont have any brake lights on an 85 supra after you wire in the 7MGTE, I dont know about other years but the one old ECU connector that stays in the car when you pull the old harness out has a green/white wire.

This wire according to the TSRM goes from the 5M ECU to the stoplight switch.

It needs 12v so that youre stoplights work. Well, since this wire is not needed by the 7M ECU its left with no connection.

I just put a constant 12v to it and bam, the stoplights work.

If this is something old I apologize but I searched and could find nothing anywhere about it.

I found out they didnt work when I went to get it inspected today.

Scott
    T04B turbo - H3 compressor wheel, "P" trim exhaust wheel with .58 A/R / Stock manifold with a homemade T4 adapter.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeen550
    This is a wiring tidbit for those of us doing the wiring.

You wont have any brake lights on an 85 supra after you wire in the 7MGTE, I dont know about other years but the one old ECU connector that stays in the car when you pull the old harness out has a green/white wire.

This wire according to the TSRM goes from the 5M ECU to the stoplight switch.

It needs 12v so that youre stoplights work. Well, since this wire is not needed by the 7M ECU its left with no connection.

I just put a constant 12v to it and bam, the stoplights work.

If this is something old I apologize but I searched and could find nothing anywhere about it.

I found out they didnt work when I went to get it inspected today.

Scott

This has NEVER been an issue on ANY car I have worked on.Something in the area of 20 cars wired at this time. Never have had your oil pan issue either
    84 P-type, 7mgte, too many other mods to list, 20k miles on the chassis. 83 L-type, 7mgte/A340 swap, again, to much to list. 85 P-type, basicaly stock, DD.

Stop lights. That's a new one. And likely wrong.

The only reason to trim a small portion of the windage tray is
    to allow for easier pan removal once the motor is in the car.

And not having to lower the rear transmission cross member.

Otherwise, the pan hangs up near the 7M oil pump. Small enough to reduce
    one's vocabulary to only swear words.
    Jim
    MK2 Geek Squad Member
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Dont know what to say on the oil pan other than, well it hit for me

As far as the stoplight switch wiring goes, if you look in the TSRM, it has the wiring diagram that shows the green/white wire going to the 5m ECU at the top right.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/librar...I/e/E_005.html

This page shows the stoplight wiring diagram and it also says to ECU green/white.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/librar...I/e/E_012.html

I took my meter and checked continuity, the wire, just like the TSRM shows goes right from the stoplight switch to the ECU plug.

The TSRM online in the link I listed there is for an 86 but its just like my 85 Toyota book as far as that part goes, it just says TCCS for the ECU and mine says ECU.

I dont know what to say other than, before swap I had stoplights, after swap none.

I put power to the green/white wire by the old ECU plug and they now work.

If I am reading this wiring all wrong and am smoking crack, then please explain where I am wrong here as I dont want to lead others in the wrong direction and will gladly delete my posts or have the moderator do it for me.

My only goal here is to help others if I can.

Thanks,

Scott

CelicaSupra.com Member

The upper LEFT g/w wire is just a power up for the 5m ecu.The g/w wire on the right is for ECT and ignored totaly on a 5spd.

The g/w wire in this pics is for the cruise ecu,and if you find it and look,you'll see it has it's own seperate wire,going to a similar or same source.

You have other issues with the stop lights,has nothing to do with the swap.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie

The upper LEFT g/w wire is just a power up for the 5m ecu.The g/w wire on the right is for ECT and ignored totaly on a 5spd.

The g/w wire in this pics is for the cruise ecu,and if you find it and look,you'll see it has it's own seperate wire,going to a similar or same source.

You have other issues with the stop lights,has nothing to do with the swap.
    The g/w wire on the top right says -- From "STOP" fuse (3-4) -- this goes from the ECU plug right to the brake switch, I did a continuity test to check this.

How do you explain this ? An input from the "STOP" fuse going to the ECU ?

I see on the ECT ECU there is a -- From Stop Light S/W (3-4) -- so I would think that that would go to the switch but I dont have an ECT ECU given mine is 5 speed.

Yes, the g/w wire does go to the Cruise Control Computer, the stop light switch, the 15a fuse for the stop light and to the ECU as well.

In looking at this more it would seem that I am not getting power from the 15a stop fuse but the fuse is good and there is power on both sides at the fuse, I must have cut the stoplight power out by mistake when I was in that area (the engine bay fuse/relay box), thats all I can think, as given I gave 12v power to this g/w wire at the old ECU plug end that is supposed to have power already, I should have blown a fuse.

You learn something new everyday, I will look at it tonight, it runs fine as I drove in this morning without a glitch but I want it to be right.

This needs to be moved to its own thread in another area, dont want to clutter up the swap area, sorry.

Scott

FYI, the STOP fuse is not for you brake lights. It sounds like you were getting that confused. I believe the STOP fuse is a source of power for the ECU, not sure though.
    1984 Super Red Hardtop
    -7MGTE, R154, ST Springs, Tokico Illumina front, KYB gas-a-just rear, LJM Strut Tower Bar, custom rear bar, Energy Suspension motor mounts, 60-1 CT26, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255, Lexus AFM, 26x7x2.5 IC, 2.5" hardpipes, SAFC, Raptor Racing 3" exhaust
    13.2@109 mph
    Hidden Content

Thread Information