7mgte swap FAQ - Page 3

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mgte swap FAQ

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman
    FYI, the STOP fuse is not for you brake lights. It sounds like you were getting that confused. I believe the STOP fuse is a source of power for the ECU, not sure though.
    I would think a wire with the label "From STOP fuse" on the ECU would mean just that.

Sorta like the wire right below it "From ECU-IGN Fuse" would mean the fuse that is labeled "ECU-IGN".

I am no wiring "guru" or expert but unless the wiring diagrams from Toyota are wrong, or I am just not able to read them, but I did wire the 7MGTE in without to much trouble and its working like a charm.

Although I was surprised to see a "STOP fuse" goin to the ECU, why would it care if you hit the brakes ? The cruise control computer I can see needing to know.

Scott
    1985 7MGTE Supra - R154 swap / 3.73 true-trac / Upgraded PP.
    Full 3" exhaust / magnaflow cat and muffler
    2JZ FF intake manifold / 7MGTE Throttle Body
    24x12x3 FMIC / DSM BOV /AFPR /Lexus AFM
    T04B turbo - H3 compressor wheel, "P" trim exhaust wheel with .58 A/R / Stock manifold with a homemade T4 adapter.
    Tial 38mm Wastegate / 385 rwhp/387 tq @ 16 psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    The ECU needs to know,so it can "idle up".... Stop lights create a voltage drop,rpm stabilizes from this signal.MKII alt. are not high output,may be one of many reasons Toyota upgraded amps in 87.
    I looked at the books,so I could read it easier "for me' and this is my best educated guess on that wire.The cruise ECU needs the info to shut down,ECT for down shifting.
    84 P-type, 7mgte, too many other mods to list, 20k miles on the chassis. 83 L-type, 7mgte/A340 swap, again, to much to list. 85 P-type, basicaly stock, DD.

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    thought id add that if you get rid of the oil filter 'elbow' for the stock oil cooler, and use one inline with the hoses for the relocation kit, you need to use the oil filter 'stud' from your old 5m block to thread into the 7m block and attach the relocation adapter to
    '84 P-type, 5spd, torrid red, black/grey leather
    Built 7MGTE (JE's, ARP studs, MHG), BOSS STG4 60mm, AEM standalone, R154, 2 1/2" IC and 3" turbo back - the works
    Coilovers, ROH wheels, 4 corner BBK, Konis, ADDCO bars, PST bushings etc. etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

wiring harness for conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie
    Thanks for the addition Funky.I haven't had a chance to work on my engine,or the write up for a couple weeks.

Again,ANYBODY with a few words of wisdom,please add to this.

I have noticed,since this was started,there have not been any questions about the swap.

I am planning on adding some pics also,just need to dig thru a couple hardrives
    is there anybody out there that has a comprehensive schematice for the wiring harness for a 84 celica supra/87 7mgte conversion. I can do the wiring, just need to know which wire goes where.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I'll be up front with you.If you want to do it totaly by yourself,read Andy's site,and figure out the differences,or find cartmans write up,and do the same.You'll need the electrical supplements from toyota for any and all years you have for engines,and anything different from what's is in those write ups.
    Jim King and Myself,build custom sub-harness' for a price.With that come a certain aspect of trouble shooting.We know what we built,and can backtrack our work.I have personaly put one together wrong,but the end user was able to figure it out,check with me,and solve the problem.
    Pretty much,figure out who....as in one person.....you are going to work with,that knows what they are talking about.That's the best advice I can give of all.
    84 P-type, 7mgte, too many other mods to list, 20k miles on the chassis. 83 L-type, 7mgte/A340 swap, again, to much to list. 85 P-type, basicaly stock, DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie
    With that come a certain aspect of trouble shooting.
    And that cell phone number by itself is worth the price of two sub-harnesses.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

5m starter on 7m

Will the 5m starter transfer to the 7mgte? I traded my 5m for a almost complete gte motor but didn't get everything needed for the swap. I have most of the bolt on accesories such as the alt, ps pump, and starter and such from the 5m. Know the ps, and the alt won't work though. The gte motor is missing the ps stuff, the alt, and a few other minor tidbits.
    Thanks
    Paul

CelicaSupra.com Member
    5m and 7m starter are 1 and the same

CelicaSupra.com Member Chrisfrom1986's Avatar
    since this recently came up and i also found out that the 82 ecu is totally different than any other year (83-91?[thanks toyota=/]) by my own trial and error, how exactly am i supposed to do the wiring on my 82 when dropping in an 88T? im sorry if this is a totally retarded question and has been answered before.

reffering to search yielded a 2 year old thread that didnt help me at all. let me make it clear that i thought you were supposed to use the stock 5m harness(with minor modification) that plugs into the 5m ecu for the 7mgte swap since all other years have the same plug style.

Almost every year ECU is different in Supras in some way. When you do the 7M swap you use the 7M ECU and harness for that year of 7M engine sensors. What you need to do is connect the relevant chassis connections to the 7M ECU. Most of these are various power, gauges, and fuel pump connections.
    1985 Super Silver Supra 2JZGTE
    2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ FA20
    2001 Black Sand Pearl Corolla 1ZZFE
    "You can never go fast enough....."

Thread Information